BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2001 6:01:50 PM EDT
Anyone here have it done?

How's it working out?  
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Had it done a yr as of June 9th. Its has been un-f---ingbelievable. I am now seeing 20/15 lft and 20/20 rt. Very little discomfort at the beginning. All I had was night blindness and halos around light sources which went away after about a month. Still sensitive to sunlight though. I get headaches if I don't wear shades when it is blaring sun out. Other than that it has been heaven for me.

My only suggestion is do not go to bargain basement doctors. These doctors are trying gather up experience. If you can try to find a dr. that has been doing it since it was RK. If you do get a chance to talk with a dr. ask him exactly how many he has done physically. Most dr. will count the operations they've only assisted in to their tally just to look impressive. If you go to someone with experience, your side effect are going to be minimilized.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes!!!

It is awesome.  I assume you have bad vision and wish to correct it, which is why you brought up the topic.  I had mine done about 18 months ago by the Emory Clinic here in Atlanta.  I was about 20-400 in both with a very bad stigmatism.  In about 10 minutes, enduring a quite wild surgical experience, I became a crisp 20/20 observer of the world.  If you have the ability to do it within your budget, or insurance, go for it.  Check out your clinic and your Doc, as from what I hear experience counts,  and GO FOR IT (sorry for raising my voice).  

Good Luck, it was a paradigm shift in my lifestyle.

-MK
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea, I'm thinking about it.  I have some concerns however, since my diopters of correction AND my pupils are both pretty high.  

What were your numbers?  Mine's 9.75 diopters of correction on a 7mm pupil with a 619um cornia.  I've got some concerns about my final nightvision because I think I'm on the far (very far) edge of the acceptable window.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]www.surgicaleyes.com/imageyechart.htm[/url]

Check out this site.  Someone posted it a few months ago when asking about the surgery.

I'm still waiting.  Contacts are ok for me... for now.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the LASIK procedure 4 years ago.  I am still pleased with the results.

I totally agree with lordtrader and finding the best LASIK surgeon you can.  Price should not be an option where your eyes are concerned.

I recommend the surgery.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Lazy Engineer:
Yea, I'm thinking about it.  I have some concerns however, since my diopters of correction AND my pupils are both pretty high.  

What were your numbers?  Mine's 9.75 diopters of correction on a 7mm pupil with a 619um cornia.  I've got some concerns about my final nightvision because I think I'm on the far (very far) edge of the acceptable window.
View Quote

If I remeber correctly I was 3.25 rt and 3.00 left.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
As far as your diopter reading, I don't think what you're measuring is that is that big of a deal, a co-worker of mine was in double figures in both.  The pupil measurement is though.  I don't remember what mine was, but they said it was borderline concerning night vision/halo effect, and they were right.  I do have a slight halo effect from headlights, lanterns,etc...but absolutely not any worse than when I wore contacts.  Go to Emory Clinic's web site and they should have a FAQ section that will tell you what you should require in a Doc, apparently these guys helped develop the procedure, so at least you can use there parameters as good benchmark.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#8]
As posted by lordtrader:
Had it done a yr as of June 9th. Its has been un-f---ingbelievable. I am now seeing 20/15 lft and 20/20 rt. Very little discomfort at the beginning. All I had was night blindness and halos around light sources which went away after about a month. Still sensitive to sunlight though. I get headaches if I don't wear shades when it is blaring sun out.
View Quote

For some people these side effects are permanent! As happened to my neighbor.
There are some Doctors marketing this procedure to people wanting to improve their eyesight
better than 20/20.
As the saying goes:
"Don't fix it, if it ain't BROKE"
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Thought about it but have heard of probd in the future.Your only given one set of eyes.i'll stick to glasses or contacts.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I just had it done 5 weeks ago.  Oh sure it there's the excruciating pain and blindness for a few weeks, but you get used to it.  you get lots of pain pills too...I think? [:D] Just joking.

I now see 20/15 in both eyes and maybe better.  My optometrist had -9 in each eye and she has 20/20 in both eyes.  I went to the best and paid $3600 with VSP adding $1400 for a total of $5k.  With the right doctor, worth every cent.

Just do it!
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I now see 20/15 in both eyes and maybe better.  My optometrist had -9 in each eye and she has 20/20 in both eyes.  I went to the best and paid $3600 with VSP adding $1400 for a total of $5k.  With the right doctor, worth every cent.

Just do it!
View Quote

DAMN!!!! Who did you go to?!?!? I was with VSP and they covered 10% of $3400 with lifetime correction if needed and all inclusive on follow ups. Of course I would need to go back to Newport Beach, CA if I needed another adjustment. $5,000 DAMN!!!! Good lord that's a lot of money.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just do it!
View Quote

DAMN!!!! Who did you go to?!?!? I was with VSP and they covered 10% of $3400 with lifetime correction if needed and all inclusive on follow ups. Of course I would need to go back to Newport Beach, CA if I needed another adjustment. $5,000 DAMN!!!! Good lord that's a lot of money.
View Quote

Thats the old VSP, the new VSP now gives more money ($1400) to select doctors.  I went with Maloney in Westwood.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I had it done just over a year ago and I'm still constantly amazed at the results.I was 20/400+ w/an astigmatism in my right eye,left was a little better,now 20/15 & 20/20! Even passed my D.O.T. med exam and DMV tests.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I had the LASIK procedure done back in June and the only way I can explain the results is that they are totally amazing.  I have no side effects, measure 20/15 in each eye now, and see more clearly than I ever did with contacts or glasses (and they worked very well).

As pointed out above, DO NOT go for the cheapest doctor around to have it done.  The best, most experienced, and most highly respected LASIK doctors are also going to be up there in price.  YOU ONLY GET ISSUED TWO EYES!  Period.  It is worth every penny to have a good doctor perform the procedure.

Have it done if you can, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#15]
These guys are giving good advice.  You get what you pay for.  The only caveat to all this is the long range problems that may arise. There a few 10 year studies out but not many.  You really dont know what your vision will be like in 20-30years.  Not to mention the effects on night vision. My work depends on my sight.  I'd rather wear glasses the rest of life than risk a loss of vision or distortion.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#16]
My mom had it done a few months ago, and it jacked her eyes up.  She still has to wear glasses, and now needs reading glasses.  The doctor said her eyes got over-corrected.  She is supposed to go back and get it fixed next month.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife had it done for $3K, the best guy in town, and she now has 20/15.  I am jelous.  Glasses do not bother me much, but it sure would be nice when you are using optics.

Everybody asks why I don't have it done, and I have to say there are about 14 rifles I want to buy first.  :)
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey guys,

This is mostly a rhetorical question since I only need glasses to read.  Is there a procedure for those of us who see OK except aging tired eyes for reading?  I doubt I want to do it yet, but maybe sometime.  It is a pain to carry reading glasses (OK, probably no sympathy since I didn't need any glasses for my first 40 years).

Main question - do they do  it for those who only need reading glasses?

James
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

James
View Quote

I don't think they can correct that yet. When I got my eyes done the Dr. said that eventually I might need reading glasses, but still can see far. Don't know if that still holds true given how fast technology advances.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, but the process is newer (less tested) and it takes longer to recover.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I just backed out of having it done. I'm 46 with a simple -3.50 correction in both eyes.  Reading vision is normal.  Take off my glasses to read. Surgeon advised that if I corrected for distance only, he could probably get me back to 20/20 but reading glasses would be required.  Option would be to do a "monovision" procedure ... correct one eye completely, other only partially.  Gave me a pair of contacts that simulated this. Was advised that monovision would take 2 - 6 weeks for my brain to adjust.  I don't want reading glasses (goal is to get out of glasses) and not sure I could get used to that monovision.  So, decided to hold off for a few years and see if something better comes along.  In the mean time, take the $2500 and buy a new GUN!
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Two key pieces of advise:
1) Find the doctor with a decent amount of experience.  In general, the facilities that only have a single doctor are more exclusive and rarely discount.  They also have limited resources.  Facilities that have a half dozen or so surgeons generally have a good standing and a lot of resources to pull good discounts, yet pull from a wealth of experience.
2) Take advantage of promos that you hear on the radio.  The theory of cheaper is not always better, is not always true.  More expensive doctors and facilities will brag that their service is better, and their equipment is owned not rented.  Neither are an issue.  If they do the job right, you should never have to return- so service is not as important as compared to if you were looking for a family doctor.  It has been proven that there is no difference in results between a facility that uses rental or owned equipment.
Hope this helps,
***ptp
ps: I'm now seeing 20/40 as of 2 years ago when I was 20/600!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Until I hear a few accolades from people with eyes similar to mine, I have decided to not pursue the surgery.  It's not a question of cost.  To be able to see the world at some point in my life with my own eye's I'd gladly pay $5,000 and never look back.  But there are two key reasons for my decision to pass.  

#1)  Cataract surgury is in my genetic future.  My grandmother had it, My father had it, and it's a question of time until I have it.  My dads cataract surgeon said it's a good thing he never had Lasik, because it makes their job much harder.  I'd like to still be able to see at 55.

#2)  I have not been able to find anyone with eyes similar to mine to relate their results.  A few people are close, but not enough specifics to be confident they have similar eyes to mine.  I have 10 diopters of correction with large 7mm pupils.  My eyes are very bad (well beyond 20/600), though are corrected to 20/20 with contacts and my night vision's pretty good due to my large pupils.  Anyway, I'm off the surgery chart, and it spooks me.  Here's the chart, they're machine spacific, and this is the best machine I can find.
My depth is 620 um (which is very deep and a good thing for Lasik).  My pupils are 7mm (which are very wide, and bad for Lasik).  My correction is 10 diopters (Which is a lot, but supposedly doable by Lasik).  Find my on the chart:

[img]www.lasik1.com/LASIK_Table-MEL70.gif[/img]

I'm off the fricken chart.  NEVER a good sign.  Whenever something is done on the fringes, mileage does vary.  From what I read, the higher the diopters of correction, the higher the chance of problems.  The larger the pupils, the higher the chance of problems.  I've got both. :(

If I get Lasik, I worry that this will be my world:
[img]www.surgicaleyes.com/Templa4.jpg[/img]

There's also a real probability I'm going to permenantly have deminished night vision.
[img]www.surgicaleyes.com/Sg.jpg[/img]

I don't want the above to permanently become my world.  This isn't me just getting scared by biased web sites.  My doctor said that he probably won't be able to burn all 7mm of my pupil, so I have a "risk" of having deminished night vision.  No thanks.

I wish I had the eyes most others on this board have :(  Niven's Sci Fi organ banks are looking better and better to me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Layengineer,

Damn, your photos are just about how I turned out with my lasik.

But... there is another option. Corrective contact lenses. Doesn't sound right I know, but think a retainer for the eyes.

I am a doctors trial patient currently. They custom make contacts that reshape your cornea. It is doing wonders so far. You only wear the contacts for a set period of time a day. I will admit that they are not the best feeling when I have to wear them. But an hour afterwards, things look great!

The cool part is if you don't like what they are doing, you stop wearing the contacts and your eyes go back to the way they were. Also, there are NO incisions required!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Anyone have this procedure done in New England and can recommend a good doctor there?  I'm going in for an evalution next week to see if I'm suited ti have the procedure done.  I've been saving for months so I could just pay up front and be done with it.  Even sold off my sole AR-15, a never-fired, pre-ban Bushy to get some of the cash.  So, I want to make sure that when I get this done it is done correctly.  So, if anyone can recommend a doctor/facility in New England especially around the Boston area I'd greatly appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Man, I'd love to get LASIK, but the cons seem to outweigh the pros for me. One thing I've heard is that your up-close vision may suffer, and that, to me, would be unacceptable. In my line of work, I've got to be able to critically examine 35mm slides. Plus I'd rather spend the money on more ammo and toys. Guess I'll stick with contacts. Sigh. [V]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top