Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2001 3:31:05 PM EDT
I am looking to buy a .223 and I have narrowed it down to either a mini-14 or an ar15 so I thought mybe it would be nice to get some input from owners and enthusiast.  I like ruger alot and like min-14 and the price tag is not to bad, but in the other hand you have a colt ar15 a very nice peace of equipment it costs more but will probably hold it value a bit better even though mini arent really going down in price.  So if anyone would like to clue me in on certain things or just say what they think i they would be welcome responses.  But I will be buying one or the other soon.  And also is it worth it to look for pre bans of these model, because the are avalible in both models.  thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Without dissing the Ruger (altough I'll never buy another one of his products for testifying that all anyone needs is a 10 round magazine) the AR is a way, way better rifle.  More accurate, more parts, more accessories, more configurations,.....  Worth every penny, and them some, what it costs above a Mini whatever.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Well,I have......both..... now..... a lower.

Why I bought both.... easy.  Fed govt has list of weopons that they evantually want to ban.  Mini 14 and AR15 varients (that's everything) is on that list.

It all depends on what you want to do with it.  There are a lot of more accessories out there for AR's, but there are tons of AR makers.  If you can afford the pre ban AR tag, go for an AR.  If you just want a .223 plinker, not worried about a different upper for target/varmint hunting, then the Mini is the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi!

Everyone here will tell you AR15, and they are correct.

For the best looking, most perfectly streamlined AR lower available in a variety of colors, check out
www.cavalryarms.com
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Stryker,
Get the Ar, They do hold their value,and are way more accurate than a mini-14 can ever hope to be,Having owned a mini,I can assure you the very best it'll do at 100yds is 3" or more,this after much load development on my part, Buy the AR,there's so much you can do with them, and if you ever get tired of it, you can sell it, and usually get all of your money back.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#8]
if reliability and accuracy is not an issue definatley get the mini 14

now I am not trying to crush your opinion but..........

FLUSH YOUR HEADGEAR OUT NEW GUY!

AR15 IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO........

if you think I am saying this just because we are on ar15.com call me at home I would be glad to clear things up for ya!
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Good luck finding reliable magazines for a Mini-14...  Good luck finding a reliable Mini-14.

Do these things even come with a chromed chamber/bore?

Just say NO to Ruger and S&W!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#10]
well thanks for all the input I have pretty much decided on an ar just need to find one at a decent price and decide if i should by new or used
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top