Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2001 8:38:42 AM EDT
  JUST TO START I"M NOT RAGGING ON THE PCR

I have heard so much about this gun that it's a 50/50 on people who hate the gun and people who love the gun. I know there are a lot of people who say you get what you pay for and there are some out there that think a good deal is a good deal.

I would like to know what problems that you have heard or experinced with these gun's and where these problem fixed for you. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 1995 model,that I bought used in 1999.have 2 extra uppers with it,a parts built 16in. upper and a 20in. DPMS upper.about 7500 rounds thru them since I bought it,hasn't missed going bang yet.have talked to OLY on the phone,all questions answered.have ask Tom on the Oly manufacture part of this forum, questions,answered what I ask.I have no complaints,would buy an Oly again.   JWR
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a PCR-5

I have put about 600 rounds thus far.

The fit and finish are fair-good.  I have a rock river rifle, and the finish is better on the Rock River.  The fit between upper and lower on the Oly is a little loose, but not too sloppy.

I had a serious problem right after I bought it.  It would not extract cartridges after firing.  I bought a new extracter, spring, and spring buffer, and all my problems went away.

It still does have a slightly tight chamber, however, because when I shoot mil-surp S.A. ammo, I get one out of every 100 or so that will stick in the chamber, and the rim gets torn off by the extractor.  This does not happen with .223 domestic ammo.

Overall, I am happy, but I will probably trade this off when I get a Bushmaster, due to the fact I want a looser chamber and chrome lining in my small, lightweight AR.

I would buy Oly again, but only for a match rifle.  Their barrels are very good.

For a plinker, I disagree about buying cheap.  You can pay $599 for a Oly el-cheapo Plinker, but a bushy is only $750.  I say, save a little more and get a better quality rifle... personally.  150 bucks is not worth a days problems, IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]
No complaints at all here. I've got one with at least 6 bags of SA (+ whoknowswhat) through it.

My brother in-law put some pretty nasty crap through it last weekend (Wolf is like Hustler to him - says he never buys "that shit," but his house is full of empty cases).

I used it this morning, it was filthy but ran through 30 pounds of ammo without a hick-up (Just finished soaking it).
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I would be mostly useing this gun for plinking but if I needed to for defence and maybe in a few years using it for target shooting and varmint hunting .
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#6]
tayous, what part of Illinois (NE by any chance)?
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Bloomington, IL
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a 20" PCR-5.  It had extraction problems with Winchester Q3131A.  They have tight chambers, so I had the chamber polished and that seemed to solve the problem the extraction problem, but I still had a couple of blown primers.  As I understand it, the Oly's have SAAMI-spec chamber as opposed to a mil-spec chamber, IIRC.  Apparently, this is what causes pressure problems with M193, etc.  This leads to blown primers and failure to extract, ripping the rim off the cartridge.  I like my rifle to go bang every time I pull the trigger, so I sold it and bought a Colt.  

BTW, I also had some wear on the bolt which didn't look exactly right to me.  It appeared as if the upper and lower didn't match as exactly as they should.

Forgot to add that the Oly was extremly accurate.  Easy 1 MOA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top