Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2001 8:11:56 AM EDT
Background:
A few weeks ago I posted a thread about a position I was offered. I had been communicating with the company in question for some time, and had recently received an Email stating their interest in hiring me. I called and spoke to the gentleman who had sent the email, and asked and answered the usual questions (I had already interviewed in person, these were the follow-up and "pre-offer" questions).

When I called, the guy's first words were "What is it gonna take to get you here". Now to me, that says it's pretty much just a matter of working out the details. Oh yes, havoc is excited.

Well after our 30-minute+ conversation, the guy says "Everything sounds great, I'll call you back later today or this evening".

Later today goes by, as does this evening, and the next day, and the next...

I called him and left a voice mail "Hello, this is [havoc] just calling to let you know that I appreciate your taking time to speak with me, and if there is anything I can be of help with, please let me know, thanks again my number is..." etc. Also, I Fed-Ex'ed a thank you letter to said individual. Hopefully, I've covered all the bases. Havoc is nervous...

Well, just a few days ago (Wed. 7-25) I call the guy again:
Guy: "Hello?"

havoc: "Yes sir, hello, this is [havoc]"

Guy: "Oh, hey [havoc]! I'm in the middle of a meeting right now, can I call you right back?"

havoc: "Yes sir, absolutely"

Guy: "OK, thanks buddy"

That was my last contact, word for word. Now, I feel like I'm getting the blow off. But two things here: I REALLY want the job, and when someone says "What's it gonna take to get you here" that usually is taken as a positive sign, no?

Allright. I want to know what you guys would do or think I should do. Thanks in advance,
havoc
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I know you are pretty pumped about the job, but...

take a minute to assess if his handling of contact with you will be any indication of how he runs his dept, or how the company does business.

Maybe it all means nothing. Then again...especially if it requires relocation.

good luck. Hope you find what you're looking for
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe things are hectic this week, maybe something happened and they don't want to hire anyone new.  Keep looking since you don't know what the deal is, worst thing that can happen if you end up with two offer letters next week and you have to play them off each other to see who wants you more.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is the deal,  the guy has found someone that has some better qualifications that he is trying to hire but that person has not accepted the job yet.  He has you on the hook as a back up.  Those are not my hiring practices, but I've seen them before.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#4]
garandman:
Yes, that thought keeps recurring in my mind... Accepting the position does indeed involve relocation.

qwijibo:
Those are points I'm trying to remember also... Based on the dealings I've had with this company in the past, they are shown to be extremely busy, and take a while to move on anything.

GWIGG:
I don't think so. I am (their words) the best, and only candidate for the position.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Good advice so far.

Also, don't forget that from the outside time crawls...internally, time slips by fast.  A lot of times there are BS policies that have to go through HR.

Here's a great sales technique that should work.  Send him an email or voicemail that says, "After our discussion you told me XYZ and that you would ABC...".  Since I have not heard from you (and you haven't done those things) I am lead to believe that you are no longer interested in me as a prospective employee.  Please let me know the status as I don't want to waste your time.

If they are truly interested, they will jump all over the phone to make sure you don't "walk away."  If they aren't interested, they'll either tell you personally or won't return the call at all.

Just my $0.02.  Make change if you have to.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I interviewed at a company once, and had pretty much the same experience as you are going through.  I finally settled on the other offer that I had, but spoke with a friend of a friend of mine that worked at the first company.  Interesting thing this person told me was that the manager I spoke to would rarely offer the person the job, since it would give the applicant the power to refuse, it was up to the applicant to call up the hiring manager and inform him that he would take the job.  Go figure!   With a policy like that, I am kinda glad I am at the job I am now.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Havoc,  I hope you get the job, I'm not going to be pessimistic and get you down.  It just sounds to me He's dragging you along.
Anyways, I hope it happens for ya!
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Havoc,

I've been on both sides of your conundrum.  Personally, I would simply call back and ask if there is a problem.  After years in sales, the one thing I have learned is to ASK FOR THE ORDER.  Or in this case, the job.  If you come right out and ask why the change in interest you should get a straight answer.  Most people are reluctant to embrace conflict, but most are apt to respond honestly.

It could be that they have offered the job elsewhere, or that they decided against hiring anyone, or they promoted from within.  And the guy you are dealing with is too much of a weenie to just tell you.  Or, as others mentioned, he could be swamped and time is ticking quicker for him than you.  In any case, if more than 3 days passes without a call back after this last conversation, I suspect it is not good news.  But I wouldn't let it drop without finding out for sure.

Good luck with whatever you do.

James
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
He has probably hired someone else. If he does get back to you he will know that you are "desperate". Back off, and start loking elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#10]
As a hiring manager, I've often been too busy to directly follow-up on hiring. And as others have posted, it may be in the hands of some incompetent in HR or they've abolished the position and or hired from within and the guy is too much of a weinie to tell you.  If I were you, I'd continue my job search and if you do get another offer and they still want you for this job - your going to be in alot better bargaining position over salary/perks and what not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top