Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 7/27/2001 3:05:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2001 5:20:48 AM EDT by propguy]
Anyone know where to get the powder, balls and patches. I recently got my derringer back and want to shoot it but not quite sure what to use. No I dont have the owners manual so that is why I am searching this out first.thanks guys [):)] pg
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:02:52 AM EDT
Check Cabela's: [url]www.cabelas.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:48:42 AM EDT
You should be able to find the powder locally. Look for a Black Powder club they can point you in the right direction. You can get the balls from any of the mail order shooting supply houses. I usually get mine from Midsouth Shooter's Supply. For patch material I use .017 thick pillow ticking that I get at a local fabric store. I wash it and then tear it into strips about an inch and a half wide. I then cut my patches at the muzzle as a I load my rifles. Rusty
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 4:34:31 PM EDT
A lot of department store chains have black powder supplies in their sporting goods section. You don't necessarily need to use genuine black powder either. "Pyrodex" is a modern equivelent that is safer to handle and shoots cleaner than black powder. It is easier to find in stores than black powder too. BTW, is this a reproduction derringer or an original? If you are unfamiliar with it I would have it checked out by a gunsmith first to make sure it is safe and determine a safe loading for it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:27:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2001 6:24:59 PM EDT by Grundsau]
propguy, Check out [url]http://www.mtnstatemuzzleloading.com/[/url] They've gotta lot of balls, there. Really. [;)] Oh yeah, check out Ox-Yoke Lubed patches.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:31:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:30:13 PM EDT
Bob at http://www.cap-n-ball.com/thunder provides excellent service. Highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 5:06:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ARFFJEFFC: A lot of department store chains have black powder supplies in their sporting goods section. You don't necessarily need to use genuine black powder either. "Pyrodex" is a modern equivelent that is safer to handle and shoots cleaner than black powder. It is easier to find in stores than black powder too. BTW, is this a reproduction derringer or an original? If you are unfamiliar with it I would have it checked out by a gunsmith first to make sure it is safe and determine a safe loading for it.
View Quote
It is a reproduction that my father and I built many years ago and I just got it back [It was a kit BTW] It was shot then but not since and now that MY son is older Iam sure he would love to see that thing go BOOM thanks for the reply [):)]pg
Top Top