Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2001 12:39:50 PM EDT
Two days ago my friend and co-worker James Holt was shot and killed by his girlfriend's ex-husband.
James was a good guy all around, and served his country honorably in the Air-force. He was the person who set me up with my girlfriend, whom I'm now seriously thinking of marrying. He was an anti-gun democrat, but one of the few who could argue his point calmly through experience and logic, and never got mad because my opinion differed from his. He had two little boys, whom I've never met (they live with mom in California) and now probably never will. I posted this thread because I know that James had no family here in Vegas, and I just wanted to let someone, anyone, know that he was a good friend and he will be missed.  Goodbye, James.

Here is most of the story that ran in the paper.

A 27-year-old man was shot and killed Tuesday morning while trying to get out of a vehicle at a major Las Vegas intersection, leaving motorists to drive around a homicide scene while police looked for suspects.
A short time after the 10:18 a.m. shooting, police arrested Danny McRae, 45, on suspicion of murder.
Witnesses with cellphones helped police locate McRae in a Jeep Cherokee near Buffalo Drive and Peacock Avenue, Homicide Sgt. Kevin Manning said.
Several witnesses described seeing a man attempt to jump out of the same vehicle minutes earlier as it stopped for a traffic light at South Antelope Way and West Charleston Boulevard.
They said the victim, whose name was not released, then fell to the ground, shot in the chest and struggling to breathe.
Police credited the more than 10 witnesses who offered help, including those dialing 911 and giving dispatchers information leading police directly to the fleeing vehicle.
"We're not at the scene, and it sure makes it easy to come to a successful conclusion," Manning said.
"They provided accurate information, and we were able to vector in on the suspects. Most people don't want to get involved."
Witnesses said they were happy they were able to help, but still felt overcome by having witnessed a fatal shooting.
"I could see they were arguing, the guy in the back seat and the guy in the passenger seat," said Tony Luna, who was stopped at the intersection and who called police from his car.
Manning said McRae was sitting in the front passenger seat when he pulled a gun on the victim sitting in a back seat.
Manning said McRae offered an explanation for the shooting that was convoluted, but he would not give further details except to say the disagreement had a "woman at the root cause."
The victim and McRae knew each other and had come from McRae's residence when the conversation become heated, Manning said.
The victim's body laid in full view in the intersection while crime scene investigators worked at the scene.
"I felt scared at seeing him like that, on the ground. It's a human life," said Amelia Chavez, a rider in Luna's vehicle.
Others stopped to help the victim, one even providing a blanket to comfort him.
"The guy was trying to take a breath," said Robert Taylor, who was driving nearby and who initially thought the man had been hit by a car.
"I wish I knew CPR. ... The paramedics said he was shot in an area he couldn't be helped."

Review-Journal writer Juliet V. Casey contributed to this report.

Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear the news RYANG.  It's just a no good, dirty rotten shame.  Sounds like the police have the suspect in custody, and hopefully justice will be served.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Too bad he was an "anti-gun democrat" maybe he could have protected himself.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Too bad he was an "anti-gun democrat" maybe he could have protected himself.
View Quote

While true, this is not the time or thread to say so. His friend is mourning him. Delete this post out of respect for RYANG.
Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to see the loss of a friend so unexpectedly.  I read this once and it helped me a lot:

'Theres a door that never closes
   though it opens but one way
It's the door that leads to heaven
    at the end of life's long day
It's the threshold of forever
     where the heart is always glad,
It's respite for the weary
     and a comfort for the sad.
It's the door to peace and healing
     and the door to joy and grace
And the loved ones who pass through
     into the light shining there,
Find a sweet and perfect home
     Within our Fathers loving care

--UNknown
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top