Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2001 10:40:45 AM EDT
I own four prebans.  One in 308, one in 9mm, and two in 223.  I just purchased a colt M4 flattop with 16" barrel with 1x9 twist. This is mounted on preban bushy.  I own an HBAR that I probably will sell complete upper.  I want to purchase another M4.  My question is what config do I get? It will be another flattop.  Do I get 14.5 with perm attached FS? with a 1x7 twist?  Just for variations (real military config.) or another 16" with 1x9.  Also, I got a vortex on my 16", what should I get perm attached to 14.5 if you feel it is a good choice. A vortex,phantom, Kurts A3 or gemtech bi-lock?  I respect your opinions.  Thanks.  Do not be afraid to email me.  Thanks a bunch guys!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know my stuff like others on this board. I don't have the knowledge or know the history of the M4 enough to give you advice in that area. I can only speak from experience.

So with that in mind, I have a Bushmaster M4 16" barrel with the A2 on it and couldn't be happier with it. This upper shoots excellent and I have never had a single problem with it. I personnaly prefer the 16" barrel over the 14.5" just for accuracy reasons but understand the difference isn't much.

I can say that if you are interested in putting a bayonet on it the 14.5" is the better choice as the ring on the bayonet fits right around the FS as to around the barrel on the 16". Which in all reality isn't how it's supposed to mount...

Good Luck to ya
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My question is what config do I get? It will be another flattop.  Do I get 14.5 with perm attached FS? with a 1x7 twist?  
View Quote

The purpose of the 1x7 twist is long-range accuracy, which really necessitates a longer barrel.

The design of the M4 is for portability, and short range high volume fire.

An M4 witha 1x7 twist is kinda like having screen doors in your submarine, IMO.

[:D]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think Senior Member means we have all the answers. I think it has something to do with the number of post's.

Now to answer you question, you have an impressive collection already. Why not get the one you like the best, not what the general consensus is. After all it's your money and your weapon. The beauty of an AR is, it can be as individual as the person that owns it. [smoke]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I spoke with a fellow member by phone who specializes in class III weapons.  I do not want to mention his name as I do not have permission to.  I want to say upfront I trust his comments to me.  He says that the 1x7 is what the military uses to assist in the impact of flesh affect.  And, that the military found the 14.5" to be the perfect size.  His products come directly from Colt and are products made FOR the military.  These are uppers only.
If I wanted to stay USGI for one of my M4's, I was thinking this config. unless I am convinced otherwishe.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
He says that the 1x7 is what the military uses to assist in the impact of flesh affect.  
View Quote

How dramatic!!!
The 1/7 was used to stabilize the
longer, heavier M856 tracer rounds.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I know stuff.

If I had the money (which I don't and probably never will) I would get the 14.5" Colt or Bushmaster (chromed lined barrel) and a Vortex (Sommers, not a knock-off).
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]
You're buddy is wrong about the reason for the 1in7 twist.  It was adopted to stabilize the very long tracer bullet currently in use, and that the only reason.  Unless you're planning to shoot current issue tracers, a 1in9 or 1in8 twist will give you equal or better accuracy, and probably longer barrel life.  That's why these twists were introduced in the first place.

Course, I'm not a senior member (yet), but I'd say that 28 years of AR15 ownership and recent retirement as armorer for the security force at a government agency might give me some credence.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By garden weasel:
Quoted:
He says that the 1x7 is what the military uses to assist in the impact of flesh affect.  
View Quote

How dramatic!!!
The 1/7 is to stabilize the
longer heavier M856 tracer rounds.
View Quote

I second that.  I read somewhere that the M856(?)tracer round's ideal rifling was 1/5 and the M855's is 1/9, so the compromise was 1/7.  Anyone else here anything like that.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Can a bullet be destablized by a rifling ratio that's too fast?
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#11]
My suggestion:

Get an [green]Armalite[/green] M15A4(T) upper in pre-ban config (if you are going to put it on a preban).

Also, get a Jewel trigger.

Should be a tack driver! [:)]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Mrp,
Why armalite?  Just curious.  I feel that most of you agree that it is best to go with a 1x9 twist and that probably would be found only in a 16".  Is that right?  Also, Vortex over phantom correct?  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey someone chime in here with the answer to this one?  What is a "Phantom?"  I just bought a rifle equipped with one, it's in transit.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Stick the Phantom on it!
I have two installed and they out preform anything that I have seen so far.

A phantom is a flash hider.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top