Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2001 7:08:58 AM EDT
What is the difference between these two gun's I was told it is only the price tag. Also I was told that a FAL STG 58 and L1A1 all used the same mags is that true.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:15:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What is the difference between these two gun's I was told it is only the price tag. Also I was told that a FAL STG 58 and L1A1 all used the same mags is that true.
View Quote

The FAL was made by Fabrique National in Belgium.

The Stg58 was made by Steyr in Austria and is a FAL pattern rifle.

Most FALs and ALL Stg 58s are metric pattern rifles.

The L1A1 is an inch pattern rifle.

I think metric rifles can use both inch and metric magazines but inch pattern rifles cannot use metric. Or it might be the other way around I can't remember.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at www.fnfal.com.  Yes the L1A1 uses the same mags, although the fit is not good.  The L1A1 is a "inch pattern" FAL and the STG58 is a "metric pattern".  Inch pattern's can use metric magazines and inch magazines but metrics can only use metric mags.

As far as the difference between an actual FN FAL and the austrian STG58, I dunno.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Darin Marple:

As far as the difference between an actual FN FAL and the austrian STG58, I dunno.
View Quote

It is mostly only the front handguard.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Would you pick a FAL or STG 58 over an AR-15. I'm trying to finish my if I could only have three guns what would I take and so far I'm missing a combat rifle I have the shotgun and pistol just need the rifle that I would take if the shit hit the fan. What would you think is best.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The difference between metric and "inch" magazines is the front lug. Inch magazines have a much more substantial lug that fits into a larger recess at the front of the magazine well. Inch magazines will not fit metric receivers. A metric magazine may fit an inch receiver but you're not assured of a good fit. The front lug of a metric magazine is punched out from the body itself and resembles a "beak."

The Austrian STG-58 is a licensed copy of the Belgian FN FAL with some distinguishing features. First is the STOLL flash suppressor/grenade launcher. It's about 6 inches long with radial grooves cut along its length. It also has stamped metal handguards which I think suck for heat dissipation. The buttstock is straight versus the typical humpback of actual Belgian FALs and other licensed copies.

The reason a legally imported Belgian FAL (LAR) costs more than an STG is because the Belgian rifle is a preban. Also, having a rifle made by the original manufacturer adds value. All Austrian Steyr made STG 58s were selectfire as far as I know. That means, at best, an STG 58 sold here will be assemble from a kit. It might be assembled extremely well but it'll still be a kit gun.

Edited to note two more differences: The Austrians used a gas plug with a right angled metal tab attached. It's pretty handy for taking down the gas system. Also, the gas system employs a shortened gas tube. In other FAL variants (Belgian, IMBEL, R1) that I've seen, a full length gas tube was employed.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The reason a legally imported Belgian FAL (LAR) costs more than an STG is because the Belgian rifle is a preban. Also, having a rifle made by the original manufacturer adds value. All Austrian Steyr made STG 58s were selectfire as far as I know. That means, at best, an STG 58 sold here will be assemble from a kit. It might be assembled extremely well but it'll still be a kit gun.
View Quote

The FAL that I found was cheaper then the STG 58 not buy a lot only $30. Wonder why?
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Tayous1,

What were the markings on your FAL? Is it a geniune Fabrique Nationale product? If so, either the FN was way way undervalued or the STG kitgun was way way overpriced.

Oh no. Tayous1, I just read your comment about all the weapons you'd take with you in a SHTF situation. You're not one of those guys who have "Red Dawn" fantasies, are you?
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Though both rifles are great weapons, the Austrian STG-58 is considered superior to the FN FAL's.

The workmanship and over all quality of the Austrian rifles puts them at the very top of the FAL list. The Isreali FAL's are also very good.

A lot of people associate the FN's as the benchmark FAL simply due to name recognition, but they really are not the best available. Still, very nice rifles.

DSA makes FAL's better than even the Austrian STG-58's. DSA uses all the original STG-58 blueprints for their guns, however they have introduced production techniques, machinery and materials never before used in the production of FAL rifles. The DSA SA-58's are unquestionably the most advanced FAL ever made. Contrary to the FN FAL or the STG-58'S, DSA rifles are not cranked out on a mass production level. They are given far more individual attention than their predicesors.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Hi Maybe someone can help me. I have an older Century rifle I bougth years ago from down south. At the time I was looking for an HK, but couldn't afford one, so I bougth this FAL. I soon feel in love with it. I've had a lot of weapons in my day but the FAL has to be the funnist and coolest one yet. But I thought that Century rifles came with inch uppers and metric lowers. Well, an inch mag with the larger front lug won't fit my rifle, only metric one's will. I wanted to change the grip to the newer looking round ones, I did some checking and had someone tell me I had an inch lower, and that to get to use the round grip instead of the flat, sqaure one, I would have to buy a metric lower. The gun came with a semi-round forearm with two slots on each side. Later I bougth a mil. kit that came with the sqaure pistal grip, pebble textured humpback stock, and a long flash hider. Can anyone set me straight. P.S Sorry about the spelling, my spell checker is not working. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Hi Maybe someone can help me. I have an older Century rifle I bougth years ago from down south. At the time I was looking for an HK, but couldn't afford one, so I bougth this FAL. I soon feel in love with it. I've had a lot of weapons in my day but the FAL has to be the funnist and coolest one yet. But I thought that Century rifles came with inch uppers and metric lowers. Well, an inch mag with the larger front lug won't fit my rifle, only metric one's will. I wanted to change the grip to the newer looking round ones, I did some checking and had someone tell me I had an inch lower, and that to get to use the round grip instead of the flat, sqaure one, I would have to buy a metric lower. The gun came with a semi-round forearm with two slots on each side. Later I bougth a mil. kit that came with the sqaure pistal grip, pebble textured humpback stock, and a long flash hider. Can anyone set me straight. P.S Sorry about the spelling, my spell checker is not working. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#13]
gar, check out www.fnfal.com for lots of fal faqs/info.  I'm afraid you may have the "bug" of falcoholism now.  Ken
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh no. Tayous1, I just read your comment about all the weapons you'd take with you in a SHTF situation. You're not one of those guys who have "Red Dawn" fantasies, are you?
View Quote

To answer your question it's yes and no. I belive in being prepared for everything and anything and with todays world you have to be. I'm not going to get in to all of that right now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top