Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2001 6:01:04 AM EDT
I missed the last two issues and then I get the VOL 55 Issue 20 and it looks like Fred is ready to go to war. What did I miss and what do you think of what he is saying. Just so you know I like a lot of things that Fred's writes. But right now I'm so out dated with the gun news its not funny I had to work 80 hour weeks at my job for the last past three weeks. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:25:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Fred's telling us how to set up an ambush, how to stop a convoy, ambush timing.....
Too cool!
So is "Fred"!
Go to :
http://www.shotgunnews.com/members/fred/pages/Fredspagesindex.html
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I love Fred's columns.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#4]
But I'm wondering where this is coming from. The last Fred I read he was ragging on the AR-15. I don't know but I thought it was good also.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:42:27 AM EDT
[#5]
[url]www.shotgunnews.com/members/fred/pages/Fredspagesindex.html[/url]

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't EVERYBODY read Fred's?  I don't buy everything he says, but it is certainly always interesting and informative to a point.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#7]
 Fred was ragging on the AR because an AR nut started ragging on the M1A to Fred, and we all know how Fred loves the M1A.

Chuck
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#8]
If I had the money I would take an M1A over a AR-15 anyday! AR-15 is one of the top 3 but I just like the big 308 bullet a lot more then the 223.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
But I'm wondering where this is coming from. The last Fred I read he was ragging on the AR-15. I don't know but I thought it was good also.
View Quote

Fred prefers the reach out and touch someone ability of the 7.62mm NATO battle rifles. Definitely a plus when engaging a superior force armed with 5.56mm weapons. Fire and maneuver, that's the ticket
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Not to mention the fact that his business depends upon a demand for M14 stocks.  He is attempting to create a bigger demand by creating and encouraging a romantic image of a rifleman (and EVERYBODY knows that REAL rifleman shoot M1a's).  Toward that end, he must find a bogeyman for the "rifleman" to contend with.  He has found a decent bogeyman in the UN; as it is true enough to be plausible (barely).  That aside, his columns are interesting and entertaining, and they help to keep the flame that was lit at Waco and Ruby Ridge, burning.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#13]
But I always wonder how much demand there can be for M1A/14 stocks.  Your average Joe Shooter (me) buys a Springfield, takes it out once or twice a month, shoot a hundred round or so.  I just can't see the stock ever get worn out.  But somehow Fred make enough money to keep buying two full page ads in SGN and rail against UN.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#14]
"Fred's M-14 page" is the first item I read when I receive SGN. I don't think he was really ragging on the AR15. I think he wanted to kick a few couch-potatoes off the sofa and onto the range. Remember his comments were about the AR15 firearm itself NOT AR15 shooters. He has his opinions and paid for print space to share them. If you don't agree, prove him wrong! In any case, if you are pleased with yourself because you can shoot a 1" group at 100yrds. from a bench with a match rifle using match-grade ammo under ideal conditions then MAYBE you should think about what you will do in a SHTF situation under far less ideal conditions. I am amazed when people take offense to criticism of inanimate objects. Remember, buying and owning the best AR or M1A or AK or whatever means nothing if you don't put in the effort to be the best shooter you can be! Choose the firearm that you would bet your life on (reliability, firepower, caliber, etc.) and GO TO THE RANGE!!! and think about HOW you might have to use that rifle one day.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I read a couple books about the Mobile Guerrilla Force that operated during the Vietnam war.  The author said that the VC tried to stay as close as possible to them, that way it was very dangerous for them to call in an airstrike or artillery.  This little gem of wisdom might come in quite handy should you ever find yourself facing off against the evil NWO invaders.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Freds column is the first thing I flip to when I get SGN. He likes his M14, and more power to him. I personally like my AR. Oh well.

If I've taken away from his articles it is the idea that I need to be the best I can with the rifle of my choosing. I think the idea of inspiring people to get out there and shoot more and to hone their skill is a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I think Fred is good inspiration and he does sell AR equpment and manuals. I also like that he encourages people to use ordinary rifles and ammo.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I think Fred is certifiable.  Ambushing UN convoys?  LOL!

Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
But I always wonder how much demand there can be for M1A/14 stocks.  Your average Joe Shooter (me) buys a Springfield, takes it out once or twice a month, shoot a hundred round or so.  I just can't see the stock ever get worn out.  But somehow Fred make enough money to keep buying two full page ads in SGN and rail against UN.
View Quote

I have 5 stocks for mine. All U.S.G.I., none from Freds. Two Synthetics, 1 birch and 2 walnuts. Maybe overkill but I like to dress her diferently sometimes and clothes are very affordable.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 5:20:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't agree with Fred on his M-14 vs Ar-15 views, however, He is right is as much as you need to know how to use your weapon well, and the only way to do that is, practice,practice,practice! Something Fred also never adresses, what are you gonna do when they call Air Support? (got news for ya, Fred your M-14 ain't gonna help you much, there!)and at 500yds out they'll be able to put a couple of missles right up your ass! As I see it, like many other here have said the only way to TRY to take out a convoy is up close,so they can't call in A.S., and would be forced to handle it themselves, This would be risky, but the locals would have the advantage in as much as they know the terrain, and can pick the site for ambush that gives them an advantage. that's the only way you'd have a chance  
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I know "Fred". (I'm sure several others on this board do too) I shoot with him at Riverside, he's the Pres out there.  Fred wants you to become a rifleman.  A practical rifleman who can pick up most any weapon and on short notice and in poor conditions put rounds into a man sized target be it at 25yrds or 500yrds, painted blue or otherwise.  

He practices what he preaches and is certainly one of the best M1A riflemen I've ever personally met. Not high power competition though, if it ain't shaped like a "man" or BMP firing port (LOL) he don't shoot it.  

I challenge anyone who hasn't tried it to get some of his Army 25yrd AQT targets, and see if you are a cook or rifleman. GREAT practice. And much harder than it sounds.

Fred doesn't really care what you shoot as long as you make hits.  At Riverside you see everything from Mausers to BMG's and most everything in between. Including lots of black rifles.

Fred wants to do a couple of other things too. (aside from buying M1A stuff )[;0]

He wants to push you into doing SOMETHING. Many times that requires pissing someone off or being controversial(I KNOW people on this board understand that!)

He also and maybe most importantly wants you to vote, get your family to vote, get your friends to vote, vote, vote, vote.  That is a "battle" you know we can win...if we vote.

Rocketman    
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:44:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I think Fred needs to start cleaning his M1A in a ventilated area ! 500 yds at moving targets " that shoot back with something bigger than a 7.62" ??? time to stop huffing on the hoppe's !!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Fred rules. What miltia wannabe-patriot doesn't read it? Am I all excited about shootin' up UN convoys? Nah, but that's not all he has to say. And if he has the ball to print that kind of stuff, he must be a man of conviction. Surely an FBI agent or two has dropped by to visit Fred, at his shop and at the range. As far as obsolete, .308s are de riguer for us desert dwellers. We gots lots of loooooooooooong ranges, and rifles that reach into'em.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I hear ya gunmonkey.  Funs the word, especially if you can learn something at the same time.

As far as visiting "Fred's" shop (warehouse)whether you are FBI ATF or otherwise...probably not a good idea.  I'm always afraid something heavy might fall on my head.....and he likes me.(LOL) Mucho "stuff" in there, including the "Worlds largest pile of M1A/Garand slings".  You'd have to see it to believe it.

Rocketman
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I thought the guy who wrote the columns and sells the weapons part had a different name and his dog was named Fred.

I have heard from other people that have shot a "Fred's" rifle range that he has issues.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Who hear has used the 25 meater targets he sells? Are they any good? I was thinking of picking up a few when I get my AR-15. Yes I'm getting an AR-15 because I don't have the money to get a nice 308 FAL but sorry maybe its just me buy if I'm going to get up close and personal to someone my shotgun is what I'm taking if it's not the buchshot  that gets ya it the loud boom in Nam it scared the shit out of the VC just the crack crack then a loud boom.    [shotgun]
        [heavy]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Gentlemen,

We at the United Nations regularly read Fred's column. It is most entertaining!

To think that you can organize enough "militia" to stop a United Nations "column" is hilarious.

Minutemen!?!  

In the scenarios that he proposes, we would first soften up our objectives with massive airpower and artillery barrages. Resistance will be nonexistant.

I especially love his references to using blue helmets as targets!

He is quite the comedian!

Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Enjoy it immensely. Finally, someone who is more militant than I am.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Fred militant?  I had always thought he was normal.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Fred militant?  I had always thought he was normal.
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 1:45:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Off the topic(sort of), but I'm just going to throw in my opinion of the M14 being labled as "obsolete." Even a bolt-action rifle in the hands of a skilled shooter is a very effective weapon. Just ask any USMC scout/sniper. Just use your preferred weapon within its'limits, is all I'm saying.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 4:24:57 AM EDT
[#34]
"Fred" makes you think!

Being prepared is not about what is likely to happen but rather the extreme possibility of what could happen (more stuff that Dan Rather doesn't think you should hear about).

Example: 10 years ago I spent a whole bunch of money on smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher and we haven't even had one single fire! Waste of time and money?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top