Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2001 3:34:22 PM EDT
and how many grains in a gram?
And one more Q?. I know that +p means a hotter or faster load but  why the p, what does it mean exactly and what the diff. between +p and +p+.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Grains are some leftover from the english system, 7000 per pound.

There are 15.43 grains per gram.

+p+ is a hotter load than +p, but I don't know if there are any standards on what constitutes a +p vs a +p+ load.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#2]
P is for SAAMI pressure ratings. +P would be a higher pressure round and +P+ would be even higher than the +P. You would have to check with someone more current on pressure readings and SAAMI to find out how much higher. Bottom line is more velocity for a given cartridge with a given weight.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Because the unit named gram didn't exist when we started measuring-out black powder.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#4]
plus a grain is easer to mesure

ie hmm i need .09 grams of poweder vs x grains
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
My rather foggy recollection is that there are SAAMI standards for +P cartridges while +P+ (which was originally termed ā€œ++Pā€) simply means the round exceeds all SAAMI standards.  

In theory, +P+ is typically limited to law enforcement agencies that use it only in specific firearms that can handle the extra pressure.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Zoom Wilson:
Because the unit named gram didn't exist when we started measuring-out black powder.
View Quote

Exactly right.  This is why we still use the English word "Gauge" instead of centimeter/inch/caliber for shotguns, because of what's inside the shell.  Good call, Zoom.

[brown]Evil J~[/brown]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top