Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 7/25/2001 3:34:22 PM EDT
and how many grains in a gram? And one more Q?. I know that +p means a hotter or faster load but why the p, what does it mean exactly and what the diff. between +p and +p+. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:39:36 PM EDT
Grains are some leftover from the english system, 7000 per pound. There are 15.43 grains per gram. +p+ is a hotter load than +p, but I don't know if there are any standards on what constitutes a +p vs a +p+ load.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:44:15 PM EDT
P is for SAAMI pressure ratings. +P would be a higher pressure round and +P+ would be even higher than the +P. You would have to check with someone more current on pressure readings and SAAMI to find out how much higher. Bottom line is more velocity for a given cartridge with a given weight.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 4:16:06 PM EDT
Because the unit named gram didn't exist when we started measuring-out black powder.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 4:26:03 PM EDT
plus a grain is easer to mesure ie hmm i need .09 grams of poweder vs x grains
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 6:37:50 PM EDT
My rather foggy recollection is that there are SAAMI standards for +P cartridges while +P+ (which was originally termed “++P”) simply means the round exceeds all SAAMI standards. In theory, +P+ is typically limited to law enforcement agencies that use it only in specific firearms that can handle the extra pressure.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 6:57:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Zoom Wilson: Because the unit named gram didn't exist when we started measuring-out black powder.
View Quote
Exactly right. This is why we still use the English word "Gauge" instead of centimeter/inch/caliber for shotguns, because of what's inside the shell. Good call, Zoom. [brown]Evil J~[/brown]
Top Top