Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2001 3:41:15 AM EDT
I just got a ferret and have managed to litterbox train it. However I have not been able to find a litter that really keeps the smell down. Any sugestions?
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:54:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I use litter made of pellets that are pressed newspaper. It is called "Yesterday's News, with lemon scent. Change it every day.

Just in case nobody told you, never use kitty litter, the grainey oil dry stuff. The dust will get trapped in their lungs and kill them.

Good luck with your new fury friend.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 4:30:07 AM EDT
[#2]
You're not supposed to admit you have a ferret! They are illegal in Kalifornia.

That being said, I want one. [:D] A sugar glider too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 5:45:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Ferrets? Aren't they ... :)
A long time ago I did a job in Indiana.
I decided to smuggle back a ferret to CA on the plane.
I put this little rascal under my shirt.
It went well from Indiana to Chicago.
From Chicago to SFO was a different story.
For some Twilight Zone reason I sat next to the person that was going to do my wifes review at her work.
This little sucker kept biting me and I kept punching it to mellow it out.
The person next to me kept staring at me and kept telling me that if I was uncomftorble I should take my jacket off.
Then when I got home my dog killed the ferret in less than 5 mins.
One of the guys at work liked this idea and modified it a little bit.
He put his ferret in a zippered carry bag (after he smuggled it through the metal detecter).
On the plane he put it in the bag and left a little hole open.
He woke up to some one screaming RAT! IT'S A RAT!
He had a "nice" interview with the FBI at SFO when he landed.
Well that's my ferret adventures.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 6:30:21 AM EDT
[#4]
w00dy,

"If ferrets are outlawed, then only outlaws will have ferrets."  Matt Trippi, former AR15.com members and owner of 4 ferrets, or slinky cats as I call them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#6]
[img]http://www.somethingawful.com/cliff/ihateyou/page-148-02.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By garden weasel:
View Quote

I've been laughing for the last five minutes because of that picture.  Thanks!  [:)]

Mike
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry about the false info, its just what I have heard.
And yes, they are cute when they do the dookah
dance(cuz they make a noise that goes dook dook dook).
Anyhow they are cool critters, and will steal anything.
Sad to hear about the ferret stories, did the one on the plane live? If no, dont tell me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#9]
There is hope for Ferret lovers in California. SB1093. Is currently in the state assembly and word is it has a pretty good chance of being passed and will probably get the govs signature if it makes it to his desk.

BILL NUMBER  : S.B. No. 1093
AUTHOR  : Johannessen
TOPIC   : Wild animals:  domestic ferrets.

TYPE OF BILL :  
               Active
               Non-Urgency
               Appropriations
               2/3 Vote Required
               Non-State-Mandated Local Program
               Fiscal
               Non-Tax Levy

BILL HISTORY
July 14 Read second time.  Amended.  Re-referred to Com. on  APPR.
July 12 From committee:  Do pass as amended, but first amend, and re-refer
       to Com. on  APPR. (Ayes 12. Noes  2.)
June 18 To Com. on  W.,P. & W.
June 5  In Assembly.  Read first time.  Held at Desk.
June 5  Read third time.  Passed.   (Ayes 27. Noes  4. Page  1429.) To
       Assembly.
June 4  From committee: Do pass as amended.  (Ayes  7. Noes  3. Page  1400.)
       Read second time.  Amended.  To third reading.
May 25  Set for hearing  May  31.
Apr. 30 Placed on  APPR. suspense file.
Apr. 23 Set for hearing  April  30.
Apr. 17 Read second time.  Amended.  Re-referred to Com. on  APPR.
Apr. 16 From committee:  Do pass as amended, but first amend, and re-refer
       to Com. on  APPR. (Ayes  7. Noes  0. Page   515.)
Mar. 26 Set for hearing  April   2.
Mar. 15 To Com. on  N.R. & W.
Feb. 26 Read first time.
Feb. 25 From print.  May be acted upon on or after  March  27.
Feb. 23 Introduced.  To Com. on RLS. for assignment.  To print.

Link Posted: 7/25/2001 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Ive been a Ferret owner for about 17 years, they are excellent pets for those who have the patients to train, and care for them properly. They have a musky odor (stronger in males) that comes from a scent gland which can be surgically removed. However, they will still develop an odor if not regularly washed, although not nearly as strong after they have been descented by a vet. Get a book about ferret care at your local pet store, because they do have certain nutritional/medical needs that need to be followed for the critter to be at it's normal healthy self. Also...VERY IMPORTANT.....ALWAYS make sure your ferret is supervised when allowed to run loose, they are very curious, and are able to easily fit their WHOLE BODY through any hole that their head will fit into.
As for litter,...I have always used Tidy Cat Scoopable, low dust litter with no health problems whatsoever,...but most people DO recomend a recycled newspaper style litter. Young ferrets will root around in their litter box, but they will outgrow it. Give it plenty of toys to entertain itself with, but stay away from the soft rubber "squeaky toys", because tey can chew little bits off, and develop intestinal blockages.
Ferrets need a large water bottle, because they drink ALOT......And they use the litterbox ALOT.
here is a website you should look at
[url]www.marshallpet.com[/url]
whew!...I dont think Ive typed that much in awhile

BTW,...Devil bunnies are outlawed in C.A. because of the incorrect fear that a population of "feral ferrets" could come from escaped pet ferrets. However,...Ferrets,(while related to weasles, and other wild rodents), Are not, and never have been wild alimals. they were developed through breeding,...and WILL NOT survive in the wild for more than a few days (if that)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top