Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2001 5:07:23 PM EDT
THANK YOU GOATBOY !!!!

I just signed up for membership and began using my AR15.com e-mail account today.

My idiot friend sent me the new and severly damaging Sircam virus by mistake.  (he was infected)

The AR15.com system trapped it before it even got to me !    Goatboy is the MAN !

Not only can I use my new account for incoming and outgoing mail with Outlook Express, but the AR15 WebMail system lets me check and send mail when I am on the road or at another computer.

The speed is awesome and the AR15.com e-mail address is Way Cool !    

Here is what they sent me when they caught the incoming Virus:  (they also sent a message to my friend who sent the virus)

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 3:46 PM
Subject: WARNING: YOU WERE SENT A VIRUS

> The Anti-Virus software on ar15.com has reported that you were
> sent a virus from [email protected], with the subject "Fw: 3rd grade
literature circle".
>
> The E-mail containing the virus has been quarantined
> to prevent further damage.
>
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a very cool feature......I to love my New email account it is better than any other i have used so far
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm... I obviously need to learn more about computers so I can get that e-mail thing set-up.  I left my computer expert 1500 miles away when I moved to AZ.  RATS!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Just wondering, but was there an attachment with the e-mail?  Or was the virus part of the e-mail?
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, there is an attachment.  The attachment itself is the virus.  Currently anything plaintext (like normal emails) is pretty safe.  It's those executables you have to watch out for.

My Windows Me partition got nailed by it WHILE I was reading the warning thread here on AR-15.  Heheh.  Just the luck.  Fortunately my 2000 side is clean, and I just have to redo my Me side.  Not as bad as it could have been.  I deserved everything I got though... CS majors outta know better.  Oh well.  Virus #2.  A good reminder.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Can you use AR15's mail for outgoing messages too?   Does it cost more ?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#12]
AR15.COM saves my ass every day, I dont know what I did before I discovered it, and I sure as Hell dont even want to think of doing without it. I actually spend more time here than I do watching TV!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 1:47:45 AM EDT
[#14]
GOATBOY:

[b]Dude ---->   YOU ARE A GENIUS![/b]

No one I know has their e-mail "pre-scanned" for viruses.  I am the only one.   Hell, I have a few anti-gun friends who want to get membership here just for your e-mail services.

Thanks again.
SS
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 2:13:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I was sent the SirCam virus by 2 different people to my AR15.com account and they got through just fine.  One was from a member here and the other was from someone I'm not familiar with.  Neither person are someone I correspond with.  How did the virus get my e-mail address?

Is there something you have to do to set up the virus scanning or did it just miss those?

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is there something you have to do to set up the virus scanning or did it just miss those?

View Quote

I think I can answer your questions:

1. There is nothing that you have to do on your end to configure this feature.  There is a Anti-Virus Gateway that intercepts offending transmissions and quarantines them before they get to the mail server.

2. We were a bit slow in updating the anti-virus signature code on the gateway.  I believe it was 1/2 day before we got the latest revision up after it was released.  (this release contained the anti-virus signatures for the SirCam worm/virus)  It has been fully functional for the past several days however..

3. The way that this insidious virus gets transmitted is quite unique.  It appears to scour content on your computer (INCLUDING CACHED WEB PAGES THAT YOU HAVE VIEWED!) for e-mail addresses to use to send itself to others!

[red]" 10. The worm contains its own SMTP engine which is used for the email routine. It obtains email addresses through two different methods:

It searches the folders that are referred to by the registry keys

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MicrosoftWindows\CurrentVersion\ExplorerShell Folders\Cache

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MicrosoftWindows\CurrentVersion\ExplorerShell Folders\Personal

for sho*., get*., hot*., *.htm files, and copies email addresses from there into the file %system%\sc?1.dll" [/red]

For more info on this :

[url]www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected][/url]

Please let us (goatboy or myself) know if you receive any virus/worm that was NOT trapped and removed by the AR15.com mail system.

Thanks,
RBAD
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks RBAD.  That's explains everything.

I appreciate the work you and Goatboy are doing for us.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top