Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2001 7:45:36 PM EDT
(REPOSTED from Freerepublic.com)

One of my friends sent me the link today, I think its an outrage. Here it is:

The Elkhart Truth has obtained a complete database of all the state of Indiana license to carry holders. They have published this database on their web site for all to see. This puts all of our safety in jeopardy. This is from the Elkhart Truth Web Site Who has a permit to carry a gun? ugo2know.com obtained the Indiana State Police database of all permit holders in the state. There are roughly 320,000 names on the list, including about 11,000 in the county. To find out who the permit holders are, follow this link:

http://www.elkharttruth.com/guns/gunsearch.html
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.elkharttruth.com/guns/gunsearch.html[/url]
That's nice but
where is a link that leads to a release
stating their intentions for doing this????
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe the newspapers here in Texas tried to pull that crap.  Somehow the state dodged the bullet.  I think some paper tried to get the names of all Texas CHL holders in one "Freedom of Information" request.  The AG or somebody made it so they had to submit a name, and then they would get a yes/no answer whether they had a CHL or not.

"Come and take it!"

(Edited because I was too lazy to spell check the first time)
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I responded to  the paper after seeing this topic on another thread yesterday. I basically  told them that the CCW holders were not public employees on the public payroll, and that while the permit holders may have submitted their info to expedite the permit process, that shouldn't make their personal information searchable in a public database. Also that they were in general mostly law-abiding citizens who were being put at risk by the papers actions.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, the proper response to this would be to put the names and addresses of all the Elkhart Truth's employees on a website for all to see.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I just talked to the Elkhart Truth, they said the list ran for two days ending Sunday.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
 Yep it's true . They had the list on their websight .  This was all brought on because one of our local County commissioner (ex cop) thought he needed to openly wear his handgun
during one of the county meetings or a hearing or some such crap . He is a permit holder but the other people in the building got all hot and bothered and now we have a new ordinance
banning handguns in all county buildings .
 This guy is a real piece of work . I'm sorry I voted for him .
        Marty McCloskey I think is his name .

Usually the Elkhart Truth is a descent paper but I think they went overboard with this
posting of the permit holders . Almost puts us on par with child molesters or something .

The Elkhart Truth
 421 S. Second St .
 Elkhart , IN   46516
 219-674-6337
 219-294-1661

I don't have an e-mail address at this time .
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#8]
If they feel that this is appropiate, then fine.  Release the names and addresses of those staff members with an explanation as to why.  ANyone with a brain will quickly realize that these guys do NOT own guns are are easy pray.  Chances are a couple of them are good looking or have decent looking spouses.  Post pictures and maps to their doors.  

Normally this would be "over the line", but apparently these people feel such behavior is not a problem, so okeyfine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#9]
What's wrong with this picture?
Indiana has 320k CHL permit holders?
Texas has somewhere around 220k.

How can it be?

DanM
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Does it list their addresses? If so i think its lawsuit time.
Think of the battered women who have left their abusive boyfriends and moved to a new address. Now their psycho knows where they live.
Or ex-cops/fbi agents etc. I'm sure some of the scum that they put away would like to know where they live.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#12]
[email protected]

Your welcome.

[):)]
NSF
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top