Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2001 6:14:27 PM EDT
I have been thinking about bying a .308 FAL.  I would like to hear comments from anyone who has one.  Also, what should I look for, Price, who's guns should I stay away from, and what do you think I should buy.  I have found a British .308 FAL for about $450.00.  Is this a good price?  Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Since I am not there to look at it, I'll just say that Yes, $450 is a decent price for a L1a1; if it does indeed function properly.  Spare parts will be considerably more difficult to find, since it isn't metric, and inch pattern magazines are generally in dented condition (as well as much more difficult to find).  If the receiver reads "Hesse", take your money and run.  I like my L1a1 just fine, especially since I replaced that ugly inch pattern lower with a metric one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Find out who made the receiver.

Hesse are more trouble than they're worth.
Might be worth a buy if it is on an Imbel Receiver.

You can find out more info at www.fnfal.com

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an Australian L1A1 from 1962. We have sold over a 100 of them here in Finland. No complaints what so ever. I haven´t got much knowledge on the various "kit" FALs there in the U.S, but an original Belgian, English or a Australian FAL is NEVER a bad choice.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it a Century FAL? Century FALs have had problems, but some guys say all you need to do is replace the gas piston with a single piece unit and you are okay. $450 sounds a little low, especially if it's NIB (Actually, all this means is the receiver is new). With Enteprise and DSA STG58's going for $800-$1,000, $450 sounds too good to be true.

Personally, for my first FAL I'd go metric. If I decided I like FALs and wanted to expand my collection, then I would look at the inch patterns.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#5]
A true Belgian FAL will run about $3,800 for the G modle. Now that that's out of the way,this rifle is probably a kit rifle built on the L1A1 kit and is probably an inch rifle. It depends on the condition. Be shure you check the bore. $450 about average.
BTW: My FALs are based on the DSA Stg58 receiver and are exelent rifles
I have heard heese receivers are substandard,but I don't have first hand experience with them. My first choice would be DSA. they are more expensive but worth it. Next choice would be Imbel, then Enterprise Arms.

What ever you decide, have fun and good luck.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have an Australian L1A1 from 1962. We have sold over a 100 of them here in Finland. No complaints what so ever. I haven´t got much knowledge on the various "kit" FALs there in the U.S, but an original Belgian, English or a Australian FAL is NEVER a bad choice.
View Quote

Belgian, English, or Australian, Oh Man, I want one, I love those FAL's, I'll bet YOU dont have to put up with after market reciever hassle we do, I'd give anything to have an original Belgian without giving all I've got, given the prices around here.
Anyway, I would'nt trust any thing other than an Imbel or DSA recievered rifle, then you've got to be sure it's put together right
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:32:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Used to own an L1A1 Aussie AD6200XXX. originally sold to Singapore, and then released to the public. I sold it, but what a beaut she was. Now you can't own such weapons here in Australia anymore.

Carried the 'Inch FAL' for many a year on the job. A real workhorse, and a true rifle! Buy it!
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:49:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Few years back when I decided to buy a FAL, I heard only one word from everyone advice "IMBEL".  I bought one, a SAR-48 Match made by Springfield on a Imbel receiver. I love that rifle. It is very accurate and I have never, ever had any problem.  You paid for what you get.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:02:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 6:07:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I got an Entreprise and an Imbel.  Both work great.  Probably buy a DSA next.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Can I still get a parts-kit FAL without the pistol grip here in California?
If so, does anyone know where I could find one?

thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#14]
CENTURY rifles will be on sale tomorrow for $399 (heard thru the grapevine).

I picked up a Century L1A1 for $200 sight unseen... the dealer that had it said it was so rusted up inside he couldn't even field strip it.  I took it anyway.

When it arrived, a couple of hits with a mallet opened it up.  Guess what?  No rust... just poorly fit upper/lower.  A little filing and it comes apart fine.  Everything else looked good.  

Took the rifle out to the range and it functioned perfectly.  Once that was confirmed I refinished it with Brownells black teflon/moly.  Now it looks too good to shoot!  

(that's it below the National Arms preban)
  [IMG]http://photos.onebigvillage.com/pubimage.asp?id_=27864[/IMG]

Link Posted: 7/24/2001 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#15]
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0KwAAANoNIRidQwmWD!oqYg7H8yERrqk1ASQTH1Jx07hiNmLl6Vy*H2PJo2V6qVyQeQ*ce0*pQyE/DCP_0004.jpg[/img]

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0KwAAANkN*xedQwmWD!oqYvzIGrsEWqvUYUymrCGL4lEHYSs!3IOcI92Ip1GaGl!h*DQwHOgl!pI/DCP_0003.jpg[/img]

I bought my Century with a hesse reciever while I was waiting for my DSA.I was going to sell it but I had zero problems so I'm keepin it.Mine is the R1A1 or the metric with Steyr parts
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Silverstrand:

You can buy FAL part kits with pistol grip in KA(no mags, though).  Just don't put it on.  Check Shotgun News for advertisers.  Runs about $200-250.

DPMS is making receivers now, too.  It's certainly worth a look.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought two FAL's DSA is selling that were assembled on DSA type 1 (metric) receivers with (metric) Austrian parts kits.  I think they are two of the nicest looking FALs I have ever seen.  They are assembled perfectly by the experienced people at DSA.  Neither rifle has had any failures to fire and both are exceptionally accurate.  Each was well worth the 800 dollars I paid for it.  I recomend them to anyone wanting a top quality FAL and not one assembled with low quality parts or by inexperienced builders.

The Azalin
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#18]
1feral1, i think you had one the same rifles that are around here. I think they too were used by Singapore before moving to the international market and endind up here in Finland.

I have a AD62XXXXX myself [:)]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Can I still get a parts-kit FAL without the pistol grip here in California?
If so, does anyone know where I could find one?
View Quote

parts kits are still legal in Cali minus mag.  You can buy a complete FAL minus pistol grip from Entreprise in Irwindale or now from DSA.  Entreprise also has type3 Imbels without the gear logos.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2001 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks to all who responded.  Your info will be very helpful in my search.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top