Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2001 5:22:54 PM EDT
All this talk of editing, filtering and moderating these forums has just gotten way out of hand.

This is an open forum and there are only basic rules.  If those general use rules are broken one of two things should take place:

1) You as a user: Don't respond and leave. Be above reproach
2) A mod will lock it down if the entries are read by one and are obviously objectionable; or they a have received a specific request to lock it down by email or other such method from a user who make a good case, should one be needed.

I don't think anyone here believes in censored speech.  But, all this talk of constant moderation and locking while a 'babysitter’ (face it, that's what they would be forced into to doing) isn't available....  These flames erupt because people are getting all hot about what they read and reply, simply throwing fuel into the fire.  Spend that time instead of reply and notify a mod if you think it is of warrant.

I for one don't want the mods running around and policing every thread and having to take the role of the "feeling police."  Mostly, among other reasons, is that they often are able to diffuse a thread from exploding just enough to let the topic continue.  That is what they are for, not to protect our feelings our personas and not mention they often provide a level headed opinion that causes one to think.

That is why I am here.  I enjoy the topics, I want my mind to be challenged, especially by those that disagree with me.  I don't want a "yes man" forum.  I want to see other opinions and the depravity of others who choose to express it in a semi-intelligent manner.  Don't mistake me for wanting this to be a full on McUzi type thing.  But if thing go there, well as I said in points 1 and 2.

This forum is a strong community of people of multiple like interests and there are a few rouges among them.  Isn’t that expected?  We know who they are, so do they.

The only thing I would like to see is that the mods follow through on dumping users who repeatedly offend the general use rules.  That is all that needs to be done by them.

You ask for censorship?  Who are you to decide what should be censored from my view?
Shouldn’t I be the one responsible and look away of my own accord, not by your wish?  Can you argue that this is not how all loss of freedom begins; a little here, a little there?

Zaz

P.S. this is the single best forum there is, let it not be corrupted.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]

The First Amendment of the Constitution applies to PUBLIC speech.  If you come into my house and swear at me, you'll get a swift kick in the a*s and will be shown the door.  In this case, the First Amendment won't protect you because you're on my property; my PRIVATE property.

AR15.Com's forums are private property.  The owner has made moderators to enforce his policies.  It's his "home;" therefore, it's his policies.

Who are they to decide what should be censored from your view?  

-OFF this site, they are nobody.  
-ON this site, they are the MODERATORS.

[b]Please note[/b]:  Individuals who don't like the rules [i][u]are[/u][/i] still free to go at any time they wish.

Mike

PS.  Zazou- Make these claims in regard to a PUBLIC policy or against a government official/agency and I'll be right behind you hollering, too.  However, in regard to private rules, I have to disagree.

EDITED to clarify certain points.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 1:32:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is the RUB! The WHINEY NANCYS that e-mail
the other WHINEY NANCYS, who in consort e-mail
the moderators, who locks the thread because the WHINEY NANCYS haven't the GUTS or BRAINS
to finish WHAT THEY STARTED. Then they all go
out for beers.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:34:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
All this talk of editing, filtering and moderating these forums has just gotten way out of hand.

This is an open forum and there are only basic rules.  

View Quote

Those "basic rules" are listed in the "Code of Conduct" thread. Read 'em. Learn 'em. Know 'em.

The application of those rules will OBVIOUSLY necessitate judgment calls. WHEN, and ONLY when a poster can demonstrate to me that they have perfectly executed every judgment call they have EVER made in their entire lifetime will I ever give any serious consideration to WHINEY threads like this one.

Only babies NEED babysitting. ACT like an adult, and your post will NEVER be moderated by me. Keeping this forum from being "corrupted" by juveniles is EXACTLY what I aim to do.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is an open forum and there are only basic rules.  

View Quote

Those "basic rules" are listed in the "Code of Conduct" thread. Read 'em. Learn 'em. Know 'em.

The application of those rules will OBVIOUSLY necessitate judgment calls. WHEN, and ONLY when a poster can demonstrate to me that they have perfectly executed every judgment call they have EVER made in their entire lifetime will I ever give any serious consideration to WHINEY threads like this one.

Only babies NEED babysitting. ACT like an adult, and your post will NEVER be moderated by me. Keeping this forum from being "corrupted" by juveniles is EXACTLY what I aim to do.
View Quote

hmm, I am not sure if you are agreeing with me or are citing me as a the 'whiner', garandman.  

So to clarify:
The basic rules I spoke of were exactly the "Code of Conduct." My post was in, perhaps, in more specific to those who’ve recently have flat out ASKED for there to be 2 GD forums and to have one continuously moderated or to have threads locked when there is not a mod available.

My post was a call to the end of it, the whining.  If, and only if, you have interpreted this as a 'whine' I suggest you reread the original post.  I called for nothing more than decorum, adult behavior and the  displayed and needed professionalism among the mods.

Zaz

edit cause I couldn't spell much
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My post was in, perhaps, in more specific to those who’ve recently have flat out ASKED for there to be 2 GD forums and to have one continuously moderated or to have threads locked when there is not a mod available.

My post was a call to the end of it, the whining.  I called for nothing more than decorum, adult behavior and the  displayed and needed professionalism among the mods.

Zaz

View Quote

to be honest, I didn't get the above from your original post. But based on the above, I'd say we are pretty much in agreement. Maybe we differ in our approach as to how to handle that, but we can work that out.

Personally, I kinda like the idea of 2 GD forums. I've had AT LEAST a half dozen people contact me personally to tell me they will NOT be returning to the GD forum because of all teh juvenile activity. Which is EXACTLY what teh antis want. Divide and conquer.

If I were to summarize my moderating goals in a sigle sentence, THAT would be it - to let NOTHING divide us as gun owners.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top