Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2001 4:57:44 PM EDT
I just bought a new dvd player and I want to hook it up to an older(but good) tv.  The tv only has a co-ax type input.  The dvd player only has composite and s-video outputs.  The audio is going to a stereo so all I need is the video sent to the tv.  Could someone help me out here?
Thanks In Advance,    Justin Ward
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#1]
you could try passing it thru a VCR.  Sometimes this triggers the copy guard giving a bad picture...  The other alternative is to pick up an RF modulator at Radio Shack or such store.  Usually about $25-35 in the US.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a device that allows me to hook up my Nintendo 64 through a coaxial cable.  One end is a coax plug and the other is like a composite video but is black in color and has a prong with little cuts in it...along with a rim.  Can this help at all.  I have a bag of various plugs and converters what should I look for that could do the job?
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
vicg is correct. Don't bother running the signal through the VCR.  Many DVD's have copy protection that will cause the picture to fade, colors to change and contrast to kick in and out.  You need an RF modulator.  You should be able to pick one up at any electronics store for 25-30 US dollars.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#5]
the manual describes how to install using the vcr.Does this mean it should work fine?
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Been there, tried that! Unless you have a really old VCR you cant run your DVD player through it to use the RCA to Coaxal move. All newer VCRs, early 90's and newer, have Micro Vision encoding that keep you from hooking  two VCRs together and making one of those deadly copies! Running your DVD through the RCAs on your VCR will trigger this and cause the movie picture to go bright and dark and bright and dark.

BKVic
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy a decent receiver and pipe your DVD through there and have the receiver pipe the signal and audio toyour TV/spkrs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the same problem, went to a Radio Shack and they have adaptors and stuff.

They told me you cant run the signal through a VCR because of copy protection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top