Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2001 7:55:54 PM EDT
Curious to your opinions, freind of mine says the only reason he's leary of 223 is it's tendency to "deflect to much" in heavily wooded areas. I assume he is comparing to the 308 because of his general preference of rifles. Do you agree that this is a legitimate concern?
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what the actual enviroment and conditions are.  All bullets are deflected some degree in brush.  That's simple physics.  The bigger the mass of something, the less it gets deflected.  Even big caliber stuff, like .45-70 will deflect.  It's just a matter of how much brush is between the target and the gun.  How tough that brush is to get through.  How close the target is to the brush (and therefore more likely to get hit even if something deflects.  Other factors may include deformation/destruction of the projectile, and energy/velocity loss.  

I'd say the lighter bullet will deflect easier, but it will depend on the enviroment as to whether it's a legitimate concern or not.  

Ross
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
According to some articles in Outdoor Life, and such, there is no such thing as a "Brushbusting Bullet" All bullets deflect. They tested Light/Fast Vs Heavy/Slow and everything in between.  Came to the conclusion, that heavy/fast bullets seem to do better, unless they fragment. However, the .223 ball will penetrate Saplings,branches, 2x4's, sheet metal, etc, with little deflection and plenty of energy left over.  Try a comparison next time you go to the range.  At any rate, precise aimed fire usually beats "recon by fire" as a technique, especially when ammo is to be conserved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top