Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2001 11:06:00 PM EDT
I saw one of these pistols today at a local gun show.  It was in 9mm,double action only and I really liked the small size of it. I desperately need a small pocket size pistol. Does anyone own one that can give a review of it?

Thanks
sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 11:12:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 1:28:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an early one. 600 rounds of ball, 115gr Corbon +P, 100gr Hirt +P+, zero jams/zero problems. Yes trigger pull is long---not to heavy---I don't use it for match shooting---I got it for shooting someone 5 ft away. Works for me. Gun Tests recently did a test on the newer model and couldn't say enough good about it. Try one out. The trigger pull may be too long for a woman but no problem for a man. Comes in stainless---blued---or Ti. Mags are about $25 ea.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea.. I got one for my ball and chain, but after her first day at the range, she didn't like it, so I got her a Glock 19. IMO it is a great little peice that fits the bill of what you are looking for. It's not a match pistol, but a 5-7 yards, it should do the trick.
Yes the DAO trigger is a little heavy and long, but if you are in a position to  need  to use a  B/U gun, you probably won't mind whay kind of trigger pull it has as long as it fires.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Dont buy one if your gonna shoot it a lot.Mine is at Taurus right now. After abt 2000 rounds the takedown pin broke, then after that was fixed, the pins holding the action to the frame broke. Great gun till it fell apart.They've had it for 6 weeks now. I did like it at first, hey when I get it back, wanna buy it?
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I am partially responsibe for SGB's opinion of the gun.  I have read posts, by owners, at [url]www.thefiringline.com[/url] (search for the gun) and they were negative.

A recent American Rifleman had a review on the P111 and it was very favorable.  They shot a few hundred rounds and no jams.  I still favor an owner's opinion since it's long term, not a one week test.  

I like the design, trigger pull, feel in hand, and almost purchased one until the owner's reviews.  You decide.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a reply I posted a couple of weeks ago to a similar question.

==============================

I guess I'm one of the few people that have had good luck with my PT-111. I bought mine used about 2 years ago fo $199.

The only detractor to the pistol is the hard double action only trigger. I'm a big guy and after several hundred rounds my finger will get tired, but at least I dont have to worry about the pistol accidently going off if I bump the trigger. I would recommend dry firing the pistol before buying one to see if you hate the trigger. Many people cannot live with the DAO trigger, and its probably the number one reason people sell them. By the way, I have heard similar complaints about the Kel Tec P-11.

The pistol was built for concealed carry, and it's not a target pistol. It's more than accurate enough for the close ranges you would expect to encounter if you were needed it in an emergency.

Mine, at least, has been %100 reliable with everything I have put through it; golden sabers, Hydra-shocks, UMC, and even hand loads (whick Taurus does not recommend).

It's small enough to fit in my pants pocket. For a 9mm pistol that holds 11 rounds its very compact. Its "carry alot, shoot a little" type pistol.

The PT-111 is a little tricky to reassemble after cleaning. The first time it took me half an hour to get it back together. Now it takes about 30 seconds. The trick is that "the breech end of the barrel must be pushed downward when placing the slide on the frame". Once you get the hang of it, it's a piece of cake. By the way, the above quote is from an excellent article on the Taurus Millennium in the July 2001 American Rifleman.

I have heard of some people complain that the Mec-Gar magazines make a rattling noise even when fully loaded. I have had no trouble with mine

GOOD
Inexpensive
Small 11 round 9mm pistol
Light
External safety
Rounded edges

BAD
Heavy double action trigger
Not target pistol accurate
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top