Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2001 9:40:44 PM EDT
What exactly is in this book that drives people to do things? I bought it and did not see anything special about it. Am I missing something??  Can some Lit major help me out???

Stinger
lost in the rye
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I once asked a teacher what book best explained the situation of the typical adolescent male, and he said "The Catcher in the Rye"

If you don't like that book you've never been disaffected or alienated, I guess.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Raven,  This could be why I did not get anything out of it. I had a good childhood

Stinger
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I suppose if you were the quarterback or class president, you wouldn't be able to see what the hell Holden's problem was.

Kind of like Hesse's books.  When you read about the alienated main characters, you always feel like Hesse is writing about you.  I had a friend who taught German literature and his classes on Hesse were always overcrowded.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Dunno.  I know it has long been one of my favourite novels, but it hasn't driven me to do anything that I likely would not have done anyhow...

Evil Overlord Tip #12 - "I will not waste time or effort making the death of my enemy look like an accident.  I am accountable to no-one, and nobody would believe me anyway."

FFZ
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#5]
When are they gonna ban that damn book?!?!

It's already killed John Lennon.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Now if it would just reunite ALL the Beatles...
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 12:07:06 AM EDT
[#7]
The guy who killed John Lennon had it on him. The rest about all the wackos having it was part of the plot in the movie "Conspiracy Theory" with Mel Gibson and whats her face with the freakishly large mouth and red hair. Alot of people joke it about it now, and alot of people take it for fact now that all the infamous wackos owned a copy. One of the considered classics I haven't read BTW (maybe some time though).
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Wasn't the author a homosexual and ardent
heroin user?
Wasn't the main charactor the same?
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I once asked a teacher what book best explained the situation of the typical adolescent male, and he said "The Catcher in the Rye"

If you don't like that book you've never been disaffected or alienated, I guess.
View Quote

Alienation issues affect all persons at time or another.

I think the longevity of the book is in part explained by the fact that although dated, it is well written. The book is often suggested to the present generation by the former - passing it down.

Personally, I feel my generation was better represented by Brett Easton Ellis' "Less Than Zero". The book, unlike the movie, did not give the reader any warm fuzzys or leave the with the idea of "Hope".
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Must read in college.  Read it.  Enough said.  Read "Atlas Shrugged", it means a lot to me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I find that most people who love Catcher are immature, selfish, depressed types.  This is because the book, like most garbage produced in modern culture, is masturbatory.  Selfish people connect with the "boo-hoo, look at me, I'm such a loser" theme.  

This is hardly what Socrates was talking about when he said the unexamined life is not worth living.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wow.

[i]Every now and then it almost seems like we're starting to grow up around here.[/i]
View Quote

Oh yeah....well:

[b] All your [i]Catcher in the Rye[/i] are belong to us [/b]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, how about that. A classic book that is only meaningful and classic to a few who can relate. Interesting

I like how this board has a diverse group of people with knowledge.

Stinger
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#17]
What I got out of reading the book was it showed me why, when people are alienated and humiliated, it influences them to seek higher recognition in one form or other.  

I think Hesse had a talent to show how humiliation can disturb some people and I saw the connection for the first time reading that book.  I think it gave me a deeper sense of compasion for people.

Being a father of 2 teenagers, I need that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Hesse is god!
  Personally I found Holden Caufield a great anti-hero and probably one of the most influential works in America in this half century.
   Bret Easton Ellis is also very good and his charachters make Holden seem well adjusted.
[smoke]
The question is, was our current president the role model for Holden Caufield?
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top