Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2001 8:48:28 PM EDT
They just showed a video clip on the news of a guy reaching over the fence to catch a foul ball and a gun drops out of his waistband.  He was an off duty cop, so they just shrugged it off as a legitimate, harmless accident.  For some reason, I don't think they'd be so understanding if he was a CCW holder.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#1]
The cop should be bitchslapped (at least on paper) for his incompetence. Not to mention poor holster choice. [:)]

If he HAD been a CCW holder, they would've slammed his dick in the door, if not taken him to jail for "improper display", or some such hogwash.

I was dispatched to a call at a restaurant for a similar call. A guy's piece fell out from his waistband when he reached for his wallet. He didn't even HAVE it in a holster!! I ripped him a new ass for twenty solid minutes, after which he was in tears.

But he not in handcuffs.[;D]

Next shift he brought by a new holster to the station for me to "approve" it (as if...).[rolleyes]

P3[pyro][^]

Edittud cuz ah cant sppell.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#2]
You're right if he was a CCW holder they would have thrown him in jail.
However that cop should be fired b/c there is no garauntee that a gun won't go-off when dropped, which would hurt somebody in the crowd.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Chuck, that's excessive.  He should be reprimanded and get a good ribbing from all of his coworkers for the rest of his life for this, and hopefully he'll take steps to make sure it never happens again and encourage others to do likewise.  Punishing him for something that didn't happen based on the idea that it could have happened is exactly why there are tens of thousands of statutory felons in California right now.  If the gun did go off, hopefully he would have been held responsible for his negligence just like anyone else.  However, in this case, nothing happened.  Neither he nor anyone else should be punished for something that didn't happen.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Most people would'nt put a $50.00 scope on a $1000.00 rifle so why do guys put a $500.00 pistola in a $15.00 holster. What is your life worth? As far as CCW holders, accidents happen. I don't know any officer that I work with that would cuff and stuff them. You would still have to prove criminal intent.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#6]
CCW holders in Michigan cannot take a firearm into arenas/venues that hold more than than 5,000(?) people or where they sell alcoholic beverages, so hell yes if it was any other citizen he would have at the very least lost his "permission" to carry.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw that same clip.  He was holding a beer in one hand, and trying to catch the ball with the other.  The gun dropped out, and he tried to put it back real quick so nobody would see.  It might have been a full sized Glock, but I was not paying attention.  Some guy was holding his feet to keep him from falling over the fence.  They did an interview with the police chief, saying his gun had once flopped out too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top