Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 7/21/2001 6:36:47 PM EST
I just went to visit my grandmother in Gig Harbor, WA. I stayed in a hotel in Fife, WA. There was this God awful smell the whole time I was there. Stronger in different parts of the day. Kinda smelled liked rotten dill pickles. Ft. Lewis is not far so some of yuo guys must have experienced this. Any Ideas what the hell it is? I was also about a mile away when the pile of cars caught fire this week. Truly an awesome sight.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:44:29 PM EST
I'll take the first guess...is there a local paper mill? In Wickliffe, Ky there is and 20min before you get to the city you smell this rotten cabbage smell. I always wondered if the local grocery stores sold cabbage? I bet it was one of the worst selling items!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:50:37 PM EST
No idea Eric. Its by the Port of Tacoma. I am thinking it got to be some waste dump or some kind of chemical/industrial process for the ships. You can smell it from I-5 and then when you are though the town the smell goes away.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:52:00 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:05:00 PM EST
Fortunately, I haven't smelled Fife. Unfortunately, I have smelled a better one. Northbound I-5, just north of Everett, but south of Marysville on the flats there is a lumber mill and tidal flats on the west side and a mile long "sewage reclamation pond" on the east side. Try driving through there on either a warm, humid, sunny day or a cold, foggy, early-winter morn. MMMmmmmmm TAAAAstyyyy!! [:)] CS
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:08:31 PM EST
Phil, I know what you are talking about. Down river has all the refineries and wow what an aroma. There is also a Frito Lay plant on I-94 and when they are frying. You can feel the smell. Its a pretty thick greasy smell leaves a trace in yuor clothes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:50:57 PM EST
There's a paper mill in the waterfront area that produces the "Tacoma Aroma." Rumor has it that Bruce Springsteen gave the odor that nickname while in town for a concert at the Tacoma Dome.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 8:11:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/21/2001 8:11:07 PM EST by Phil_in_Seattle]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 8:16:51 PM EST
Coversix, as bad as that smell is, IMO the Tacoma Aroma is worse. ARDOC, I'm going down to Gig Harbor / Purdy for the next few days. Any good places to shoot anywhere in the area?
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:29:12 PM EST
I hate the idea of being a party crasher, but who is 'we' and what is happening on the 28th?
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:31:31 PM EST
I flew over Tacoma in a Cessna once and the whole town smelled like wet cardboard.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:33:45 PM EST
Up here in Bellingham we smell alright.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:35:07 PM EST
Thanks for invite Phil but I am already home! Capro, Phil is the guy to ask since he lives in the area. Also I would visit the Olympic Arms factory on Federal Way. They sponsored a shoot and give-away last year? When they reopened their offices.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:52:36 PM EST
It could be the stink of Olympic Arms customer service. They are over there somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 3:31:20 AM EST
Probably a papermill. Bogalusa, LA has one and you can smell it 40 miles away. Sugar mills smell too. I used to go to school "down the bayou" and had to pass up a sugar mill often. Ooooweee, but that sure stunk!
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 3:39:32 AM EST
The Rifle and pistol range in San Leandro,CA is located adjacent to the local dump. F'in stinks during a hot day.
Top Top