Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2001 12:53:13 PM EDT
KB-ed my Glock 30 After a nice day at the range shooting my AR's, I thought I would try a new batch of reloads. I had shot 50 (25&25) proof rounds last weekend and loaded up some more last night.
I don't have a chrono but I saw no signs of pressure in the proof rounds.
185gr.JHP with 5.3 gr, Win231.
I tried 5.1 and it seemed light and not very good accy. But the 5.3 worked well.
Using a Lee 1000 with auto measure.
And have loaded Many Many rounds with it and never had a measure problem. But I can't completely rule out an over charge nonetheless.

I was having trouble with a couple federal casings just prior. FTF completely and had to close the slide with a slap on the back.

And this was a federal case that blew.
the case blew at the rim.
I'm thinking that it fired out of Battery.
And it blew into the unsupported area down ad out.

There dosen't seem to be a lot of damage.
And I,m ok, no blood.  Sore hand and pride.
The mag is toast. But I think that in a life threatening situation I could have stuck in another mag and it would have worked.

Basicaly the mag blew out and broke the mag release. No frame cracks or damage to the slide. That I can see.

If you reload, make sure on your charge and double check those casings.

Here's a link. Thanks.
http://community.webshots.com/album/17815821sQsdJvDrFf

------------------
Keep The Criminals in Prison and Leave My guns Alone.

Link Posted: 7/21/2001 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Blown up Glocks are a dime a dozen. It is really very common. The fact is, it is a product defect, that the Glock will FIRE out of Battery. I have shot IPSC for awhile and have
seen about 8-10 blown up Glocks and heard about alot more. All fired out of Battery w/relaods. It can also happen w/Factory loads.
GPSS
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#2]
well atleast you are okay. i have only wittnesses 1 KB a cheap colt SAA clone gun just got so worn out then KABOOOM! i was standing next to the guy when it happened had metal wizzing by my ear. no one was hurt thu. scary thoughts
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Delmarksman, I only have one reloading manual for handguns(Hodgdon #26)It shows 5.0 of W231 with a 180 JHP as max, as all manuals vary somewhat I'd imagine your load was O.K. but possibly on the warm side. When the cartridge was introduced I recall there were some teething problems due to it's characteristics fast ignition, high pressure spike, and fairly high pressure(Its an engineering thing, I guess), anyway there were a number of autopistol failures so people started looking for common factors it appeared that pistols with generous amounts of unsupported case had problems, One of the major manufacturers seemed to have a problem with their brass design as their brass was changed after a few of the early runs, some said there were certain powders that seemed to be present in many of the failures.
Boy I got to rambling that time, sorry. Anyway the point to all of this is I really like the cartridge so I felt the best way to eliminate potential problems with this cartridge is the use of good factory ammunition.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Oops I got the wrong Glock...
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Ever consider changing reloaders?  I love my Dillon 550.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Ever consider a HK [:D]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Howdy Del-Looks like it may have been loaded once too many times too. How many times do you reload a case?
I cant see why it would not go into battery and still fire.
Do you fullsize resize?
Too bad, but it seems to be a good lesson. And you still have a firearm.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]
also before u reload make sure the case isnt bulged out or anything like that
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Just curious to know
if you used Federal brass to
set up your taper crimp.
If not, then the crimp may have been either
too tight or too loose
both of which may cause the bullet to
come loose in a straight walled case.
If the bullet was loose
and set itself back into the case
after contacting the ramp
or from recoil
I can see why you would
have a FTF and have to
force the slide forward.
Of course the pressure would
be waaayy out of spec.
and the case would blow
just like yours.

I had this happen when a
CBC (Crappy Brass Company)
snuck in to my
lot and was run through my 650.
BUT,
I caught it because the
slide did not close all the way.

BTW
a 185 JHP
can be loaded on top of
6.1 grains of 231
for a velocity of 937 fps
and 15,700 C.U.P.
according to the Lyman pistol and revolver reloading handbook.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep buying them plastic guns!
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Was it federal brass? It is common with the old "FC" on the headstamp, not the new "federal" on the headstamp. Also heard some S&B's KB.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#13]
BTW I have never heard of a Glock going kaboom with 9mm factory fodder. I have two, a 17 and a 34.
Anybody try to stuff 9mm cartridges in a 40s&w magazine? Will it fit in the pistol? How many could you fit?
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh,
one more thing.
I noticed that you said
that you fired the Glock
[i]after[/i] a day of shooting
your AR.

Higher temps
will give increased
pressure in a cartridge loaded with a fast burning powder.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BTW I have never heard of a Glock going kaboom with 9mm factory fodder. I have two, a 17 and a 34.
Anybody try to stuff 9mm cartridges in a 40s&w magazine? Will it fit in the pistol? How many could you fit?
View Quote
dont know about a 9mm fiting in a 40mag but i do know a glock 17 magazine will fit in a glock 22 and WILL FIRE! i did that ocne on accident grabbed the wrong mag. scared the shit out of me when i noticed what i had done. my friend said hey stop firing your brass is bulging really hige so i stopped dropped the mag looked at it saw how lucky i was i dint get a 9mm stuck in the barrel and then tried to fire another one. and promty put the glock 22 in the car until i was out of 9mmm. traded that glock 22 a while ago anyway
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#18]
ALL Glock chambers EXCEPT 9mm models are unsupported at the 6 o'clock position.  this is a reliability of feed issue when not using tapered cases (like 9mm).  it's a good reason to get a separate barrel for testing handloaded cartridges.(along with the issues of lead in polygonal rifling.)  

those more in the know about Glocks and handloading can be found over at GlockTalk.

the brass seems to have blown out consistent with a certain position, possibly 6 o'clock.

you'll prolly be gettin' a chrono after this pleasant event, and that will give you better indicators of overpressure than viewing primers and cases.  as stated in another post, temp may have been a contributing factor to overpressure.

luckily, Glocks seem to handle blown out cases very well.  the mag release gives way to expel the mag and divert expanding gases.

scott out

Quoted:
[url]http://community.webshots.com/album/17815821sQsdJvDrFf[/url]

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got a new H&K USP .45  [BD]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the info everyone,
I do believe this was caused by the slide not being locked into battery.
I can retract the slide slightly and still pull the trigger and have the striker release.
Just as it would if it Was locked.

I will send it to the Factory to be looked over.
With a statment regarding the same.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the info everyone,
I do believe this was caused by the slide not being locked into battery.
I can retract the slide slightly and still pull the trigger and have the striker release.
Just as it would if it Was locked.

Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Glock (& all other manufacturers) will frown upon your use of reloads.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey buddy, what part of "do not shoot reloaded ammo" didnt you understand from the manual? Shooting reloads thru Glock barrels or ANY unsupported barrel is a bad idea. I have a half dozen Glocks at my home, many of which have seen tens of thousands of Corbon and other +p+ ammo without any problems (I know, +p+ is still within SAMMI specs).

I'll put my Glocks up to ANY pistol out there and come out on top.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Your Glock shoots anything but reloads.

My H&K USP shoots anything.

[:D]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hey buddy, what part of "do not shoot reloaded ammo" didnt you understand from the manual? [/b]

mayday - you like to ride his ass abit don't you?

[b]I have a half dozen Glocks at my home, many of which have seen tens of thousands of Corbon and other +p+ ammo without any problems[/b]

Wow you must be a really wealthy fella:

Several - more than 2 so 3?

Tens of thousands? So conservatively between the 3 glocks, what? Say 25,000 rounds?

I bet you get a GREAT deal on the ammo at say $10.00 / 20 rounds = $12,500.00

So mayday, I gotta ask, why spend so much on this kinda ammo to punch paper?

Any gun can blow, everyone that I know that competes reloads for their glock, I am sticking with my USP.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I am an extremely happy Glock owner.  I have bought my share of different handguns over the years.  They all wind up getting sold except for the Glocks.  I am not trying to cram Glocks down everyones throat, I just prefer Glocks.  If someone asks me what they should buy I send them to the local gun store to try the Beretta, Sig, H&K, Styer and of course the Glock.  What ever feels best to the shooter is what is "BEST".
I do not shoot reloads, nor do I spend $10 a box on ammo, more like half that on the 9 stuff.  I was wondering if this 30 that blew had any after market parts in it.  I have heard from some other experienced Glocksters that after market internals can throw a wrench in the works and cause firing out of Battery.  Not enough of a smith to confirm this, but it seems to be the concensus to leave the Glock Stock.
Just my 2 cents
Ed out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Box Stock except for the Mepro's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top