Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2001 7:56:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Leave the Garand as original and build a G3. Mags for the G3 and clones are cheap and plentiful.

What kind of Garand receiver do you have and is it in good shape?
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#2]
If that Garand receiver is an original and not one of the newer reproductions, you might want to grab a Garand parts kit for around $150.00 before they all dry up.  

The G3 "clones" are available in the same price range.  A gun shop in my area has a CETME rifle built on one of the Special Weapons cast stainless steel receivers - very nice for about $700.00.  If you can find a H&K rifle built on the Special Weapons receiver, it's likely a good buy.  On the other hand, the ones with the stamped steel receivers made by Hesse are to be avoided.  Your best bet is to get a Portugese-built FMP G3 (semi-auto) receiver from InterOrdnance and one of their G3 parts kits.  That'll total about $650.00 - $700.00, to which you'll have to add the assembly cost and cost of the needed U.S. components.  The price closes in on $1,000.00 fast, but you'll end up with a rifle that is built to the same specs as the ones bearing the H&K rollmark.

Want something cheaper?  A nice FAL "parts gun" should cost $800.00 or less, even using a like-new Steyr StG-58 parts kit and an Imbel receiver.  

If you decide to go with the FAL or G3, do not wait very long before making your purchases.  Complete parts kits and the *good* (read: imported) receivers (except for the DSA FAL receiver) are no longer being imported.  Supply will soon grow short.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Go with the FN FAL clones. They are cheap, fun to shoot and the mags go for $8.00 - $9.00 new.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Frank, do you know something I would like to know? This is the PRNJ, we can't havea G-3 or and FN FAL. I have heard rumors that an FN was off the list? Please enlighten me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ok, I NEED a .308 shooter and need some opinions. I have a garand receiver that I can have built like new in .308 for about $800 (by Orion7) or should I get one of those SAR8 or G3 type rifles. I kinda like that I dont need to buy any mags with the Garand. BTW this would be a play toy only. I have a nice M1A for special occasions and I dont want to put a lot of wear and tear on it.
View Quote

A good friend of mine has a .308 garand built by Orion 7
It's wonderfull.

Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a tankerized Springfield Garand in .308 that is my main med. game brush gun.  Couldn't ask for a better rifle, I love it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...you might want to grab a Garand parts kit for around $150.00 before they all dry up
View Quote

Where have you seen parts kits for $150?!?!  Please let me know.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#10]
[url]http://www.gunsnammo.com/[/url]

$169.00

[url]http://www.aimsurplus.com/[/url]

$159.00-$199.95  
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Your best bet is to get a Portugese-built FMP G3 (semi-auto) receiver from InterOrdnance and one of their G3 parts kits.  That'll total about $650.00 - $700.00, to which you'll have to add the assembly cost and cost of the needed U.S. components.  The price closes in on $1,000.00 fast, but you'll end up with a rifle that is built to the same specs as the ones bearing the H&K rollmark.
View Quote

If you want to get an HK clone, this is exactly the way to go.  If a good smith puts it together it is essentially an HK without the proper markings.

I would avoid Special Weapons at all cost, with should not be a problem because their guns are usually over $1000.  Ditto any other clones, stay away!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#13]
There's little anyone can say bad aobut the Garand because their heart won't be in it.  There's nothing wrong with a .308/7.62 Garand.  They work just as well if they're built right and the ammo is cheaper and easier to get.  They feel the same shooting it and you use the same clips with no modifications for anything.  I have three Garands, all DCM and all .30-06.  I got the chance to shoot LTC Santose's .308 with the T-26 type front end (short barrel) and it was fantastic.  My next one will be a .308, probably a short one if I can find one that works as well as his did.  

The only things to remember is that the .308/7.62 uses a different gas port size than the .30-06.  A quality barrel, like a USGI or a Douglas or similar will be the right size usually.  The chamber specs are different for .308 and 7.62.  Just like the .223 and 5.56.  If you want match performance (i.e. accuracy) get the .308.  If you want military performance (i.e. reliability) get a 7.62mm chamber.  Both can be had from quality builders no problem.  The only other difference than the barrel is there is a plastic spacer to prevent .30-06 from being loaded by clip into the rifle.  It's nice if you have a .30-06 Garand as well, but if you only have one it's pointless.  The .30-06 won't chamber anyway, and the action is long enough to clear a case that gets misfed anyway.  I'd use one, because I have .30-06 Garands also.

The .308 conversion inserts for the .30-06 chamber have been known to get ejected with empty brass, but I've never personally seen it.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top