Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2001 3:32:18 AM EDT
Found this on the Foxnews web site @ [url]http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,30043,00.html[/url] refering to a Montana newspaper.

[b]The Fund for Animals, a Maryland-based animal rights group, has written an open letter to America's newspapers that hunting is not a sport and shouldn't be reported in the nation's media as if it is one.

"Hunting consists of hiding in ambush and shooting a harmless animal before he knows there is any danger — or shooting him in the back as he flees in terror for his life," Program Coordinator Norm Phelps writes. "It has no more business being glorified in the sports media than a Mafia hit."

Phelps' letter says human hunters have an advantage over their prey, contending human injuries are "almost never the result of a hunted animal defending himself," and what the group calls cruelty to wild things.

"People who do to dogs and cats what hunters do to deer, geese, doves and squirrels are prosecuted for animal cruelty, referred for psychiatric evaluation, or both — and rightly so," Phelps wrote.[/b]

There more but I won't wasate the band width.  I guess this Phelps guy doesn't know were his hamburgers or leather comes from

Personnal, I think there should be a envirowacky season[}:D]

sgtar15

Link Posted: 7/21/2001 3:57:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Bullsh*t! That gopher I wasted the other day was getting ready to charge.

[sniper]

Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:05:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Like my wife says (sarcastically) plants are alive and also defenseless and they cannot scream.  They are raised to be killed and consumed.  Who's to say they don't feel pain.  If the world were left to the anti's we humans would starve.  We are the top of the food chain and they need to deal with it.

Robb
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:00:12 AM EDT
[#3]
In Virginia we now have a Constitutional right to hunt. They cant take that away. The guy is either a vegitarian or a REAL moron. Where DOES he think those cheese burgers come from?? Hes probably eating one right now driving to work in his pussy chevy cavelier. Hope he takes a swift right off the next highest bridge!
                               later.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I think they're right.  Growing-up, we never called it a sport.  It was called going out to get supper.  It's not that different from a soccer mom going to the grocery store.  They see the meat they want, the put in the basket.  Hunters go to the woods, see the meat they want, then they pull the trigger.

I do have a problem with the fact that when killing a deer and other large game, they don't die as quickly as a domestic animal being slaughtered.  That why, I think relatively close range shots (to get better shot placement) and carrying the largest gun you can, is important.  50 BMG from 10 yards should be the quickest and most relatively painless death possible.  I wonder how badly they'd flame me for suggesting a 50 BMG for deer...
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:07:24 AM EDT
[#5]
At least a shot animal dies relatively quickly. Unlike tearing some parts from a plant, letting it suffer for weeks in the 'fridge, and finally eating it while it's still alive (barely) or dropping it into boiling water!
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:11:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree that hunting is not a sport. Neither is running. These are basic skills that every living thing needs to cultivate if they are to survive. They can be done in a sporting fashion, but they are still skills.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:15:18 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife just noticed this thread while reading over my shoulder.  Her comment was that if golf if considered a sport, then hunting certainly is.  Good point.

Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#8]
rj762

Hey, I drive a chevy caval... wait a minute.  No I don't.  Whew.  There but for the grace of God...

Hey Zoom,

Golf IS a sport.  If you don't play - try it.  Might be the most challenging sport you ever play.  No, you don't run.  No, it requires no specific strength or size.  But if athleticism is based on coordination and competitiveness, it ranks up there with any sport.  Youi will find it a lot more difficult than it looks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Exactly why his wif is correct, if golf is a sport hunting is a sport!!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Exactly why his wif is correct, if golf is a sport hunting is a sport!!!

[beer]
View Quote

Golf IS a sport BTW.

Fine, don't call hunting a sport any longer. Call it "Murder of the innocents" for all I care. I'm still going to do it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Hunting definately is a sport!! I was never saying it wasnt a sport.  And it is a sport for all the same reasons anyone can say golf is a sport.  You walk, you must have strategy in club selection/bullet selection, you must plan your shots(both sports) and ultimately the goal is one shot!  A hole in one, or a one shot kill, no running drop it where it stands!  

[beer]

what about NASCAR?? it can be debated to death that driving a car is not a sport, but I certainly could not drive 500 miles at almost 200MPH with 30 other cars on the road!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Ummm Asfar as golf is an 80 year old man can beat me at it.  Its a game.  Its not a sport unless you can...
1) break some one's nose
2) beat the living crap outta your opponet
3) maime, kill, or destroy something
4) it involves more than just watching your stance and swinging a club.

Hmmm ok so a deer isn't sporting that's it I am going bear hunting!  With a pistol!
[sniper]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Now if all the guys who wrote that are not vegetarians, I am gonna bust a gut.  What about the "poor helpless animals" at the slaughter house?  They have nowhere to run, so then, according to those animal rights people, killing them is cruelty to animals.  Right?
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#15]
The way I golf it is a lot like hunting.  I smack the ball and go hunting for it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#16]
The only solution to save the planet is mass human suicide.  PETA types and Greenie Weenies first!! [kill]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#17]
That guy has some personal issues to work out before he write anything again. I live in ND and love to hunt.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Nekkid 80:
The only solution to save the planet is mass human suicide.  PETA types and Greenie Weenies first!! [kill]
View Quote

yah but if that happend then who are we gonna laugh at?
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I hunt and fish. I don't consider either a sport in the traditional sense. They are more like activities or hobbies. When I think of  a sport I think of a competitive game
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Unfortunatly, I plagiarized the first part.  The president of PETA said that human suicide would save the planet.  Just passing it along.  Have a nice day!!  [chainsawkill]  
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I wan't hiding at all when I shot that coyote this morning. He was just sitting there off a cliff about 400 yards out. Hell I shot out the truck window. Yeah, and those damn p-dogs were about to chew my leg off if I would have let them get within a hundred yards. I had to fight my way back to the highway. It's survival of the fittest out there; thought I was a dead one a few times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top