Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2001 11:14:07 PM EDT
What exactly is this gas mask and where does one get cartridges for it?  

TIA
GS

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=941637&a=6889534&p=51942909&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It is an air force mask, Vietnam era.  It was made to be deployed in aircraft if the cabin atmosphere became to smoky or un-breathable from a fire.  It will only filter particulate matter such as smoke or CS, not gasses.  I bought one years ago.  

They are disposable.  Use it once and throw it away.

Link Posted: 7/20/2001 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!

So, It does not need any canisters to make it work?  
Is there a way to tell if it should be disposed of?
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#3]
It's an M3 riot control mask.  As stated above it's only good for CS, etc.  Not Bio or chem.  It came in a very handy pouch that was water proof and clipped to the pistol belt with ALICE clips.  It stores very compact compared to the normal masks.  The Army also used them in VN.  The filters are in the cheeks of the mask.  It's not rare, but scarce enough to be of interest.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:30:15 AM EDT
[#4]
This mask design was also used for Military K-9 teams, the dogs didn't care for them much...

If you are looking for current NBC gear and a list of items to avoid visit:

[url]www.ASOD.org[/url]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#5]

:P
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/mask1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a cool site ASOD.

Now, where does one get "Banana Oil Ampules" without committing to a whole box of them?
Can they be used over cereal or toast?
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#7]
You can flavor your cereal or toast with the ampules, but I'm sure it'll taste better without...depending on what brand of course.  

You can purchase (5) five ampules for $5.00 which includes shipping.

"Banana Oil Ampules" are excellent for testing masks to verify if they have any defective valves/voice-mitter(s).

Another use that we recommend, is to store one with your protective mask, and when there is a threat put on your mask and use the Banana Oil Ampule to check your mask for fit.  If you smell banana then you need to re-adjust your mask.  If NO banana smell is detected, then you are correctly fitted.

If interested purchase (1) box from the store and in the comments list that you want the '5 for 5' deal, and list how you would like to pay.  If you pay with credit card then I will send you an electronic invoice.

[url]www.ASOD.org[/url]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks ASOD !
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't banana oil available at the grocery store in the section with all the spices?  

If you really don't want to spend the money for banana oil, you can easily test the seal by wearing the mask around any smelly substance.  A good fitting gas mask is a great thing to have when you get back from a 2 or 3 week vacation and have to deal with the cat litter box that's been filling up while you were away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top