Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2001 4:07:05 PM EDT
I have heard various rumors over the years that glock did make a gun that would not be detectable by a metal detector? Is this ant-gun hype or was one ever made?

Just curious..
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Making a metal detector proof gun is quite possible.  I'm sure it's already been done in one form or another.  I don't know if Glock ever did it.  

99.9% of hijackers won't have access to one anyway if they did.  

Ross
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have heard various rumors over the years that glock did make a gun that would not be detectable by a metal detector? Is this ant-gun hype or was one ever made?

Just curious..
View Quote

That's because too many people believed Bruce Willis' line in "Die Hard" stating, "They use CERAMIC Glocks that don't set-off metal detectors," or close to that.[whacko]
CS
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's hype, actually based on various misconceptions from when the Glock was initially introduced. You know how everyone refers to the Glock as a plastic gun? Well, some people thought that meant the WHOLE gun was plastic, just not the frame. And then there's always someone who'll put two and two together - "Hey, if it's all plastic, then it won't show up on a metal detector, right?"

And then, as Coversix implied, Hollywood perpetuated it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
if such a gun excisted it would probly be a zip gun. that would most lickely blow up in the users face. the whole glocks going thu metal detectors is BULL. besides even if it was all plastic the AMMO is metal.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just curious..
View Quote

Take everthing you learned about firearms from Hollywood and throw it in the trash can !
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember seeing a special on the Discovery channel a few years back about a non-metal gun.  The CIA or NSA or something had a gun made of special ceramics.  The bullets were made of some non-ferous metal.  I am pretty sure it was not Glock.  If they did make one, it would not be for sale to the public, and costs an arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

"That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me. Know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn't show up on your X-Ray machines here and it costs more than you make in a month!"
- Bruce Willis, Die Hard II

-Troy
View Quote

Let's see:
Glock17 not Glock 7.
Obviously Polymer AND STEEL, not porcelain.
Even porcelain would show on x rays.
Glocks ain't that expensive and never really were.
And Bruce Willis is supposed to be smarter than this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#9]
The Glock itself is not exactly metal detector proof, but parts of it are.

The Frame has little enough metal that it could probably get through a metal detector set low enough.  The problem is in getting the mag, slide and barrel through the detector (not to mention the bullets).

Osama Bin Laden hired a consulting group (Schmectel Corporation) and they came up with the following suggestion:

Take the slide off the Glock.  Leave the barrel in the slide, along with all associated parts (spring).  Place a large, heavy coating of gun grease on the slide, and the outside of the magazine.  Insert the magazine first into the rectum.  Follow it with the slide.

Now, before all you scoff, a highly placed CIA agent filled me in on this technique--it is called Rectal Shielding--there are several secret papers in circulation (marked: top secret, eyes only, cut your nuts off if you tell anyone about this paper) describing this technique.

Fortunately for all us frequent flyers, the consulting group was not hired to overcome the "squeeze your butt cheeks together trying to keep 2 pounds of steel up your ass" walk that this Rectal Shielding technique forces you to use.  That is what tipped off the airport mall ninja security guards in the first place.  

So, when you are at the airport and see someone walking with their butt cheeks clenched that tightly, call the security and ask them to do an immediate body cavity search on that individual.  The exception to this rule, of course is if you are returning from Mexico--all Americans walk that way when coming back from there.

So--THAT is how you smuggle a Glock through airport security.

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Ask this guy, he knows, he was a Navy SEEL.[:D]

[url]http://www.2ampd.net/Articles/difiElitist.htm[/url]

If you haven't read this guys stuff, do a search at TFL for the user 'PrettyBoy.'  VERY funny stuff, not sure if he is the original mall ninja or just a copycat.

Such fun topic as "Would you use ceramic bullets?" or my personal favorite "Best scoped sniper rifle for home defense."
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
...So--THAT is how you smuggle a Glock through airport security.
View Quote
You're my hero!
ROTFLMAO
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 1:11:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 1:44:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:41:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I always refer to that as "California Carry", I guess you could try to smuggle your gat thru a metal detector that way ,too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Urban myth, Total BS.
View Quote

Didn't Bruce Willis also perpetuate that myth in Die Hard II?  Didn't he have a line something like:

"these guys are using Glocks, they can slip right through metal detectors!"

Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#16]
EVEN IF the gun was all plastic, they still don't make shells 100% plastic, hell at the court house the other day the md picked up 1 40 S&W shell in my pocket, if you believe that story, go and try it but you will be accessing AR15.com from your local jail.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#17]
If memory serves some years back a (Democratic) congressman tried to deface the Glocks by sneaking the "plastic" pistol through an airport metal detector & succeeded.  During the press conference, as he was stating his case as to why these weapons should be banned, it was revealed that the only part of the pistol that was smuggled was the frame.  As we all know, the weapon will not function without the slide, barrel, & recoil spring.  This point was explained to the blithering idiot, & quite embarassingly at that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#18]
The polymer used for the Glock frame is dense enough to show up on x-ray machines.  Also, I seem to recall something about Glock putting iron powder into the polymer so that it will be detected by metal detectors.

There are 3 handguns that can get through metal detectors.  1 is American (CIA) and 2 are/were Soviet(KGB/GRU).  They are made entirely of plastic/polymer and they use compressed air to fire small poison tipped darts or glass capsules fileld with toxin.  They are of such limited use that they've probably never even been out in the field.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top