Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2001 9:29:05 AM EDT
my buddy brought his mossy pump over and asked me if i knew of any way to put a matte black finish on it for "cheap". i dont know if they make a spray on finish, but it sounds like a good idea. the gun is blued and he wants it black and corrosion resistant. any ideas? i was thinking about the bed liner, suspension coat stuff in a can that sprays on kinda thin. if we tape off the areas that make contact and slide, will it adhere to the blued metal? i know this would  probably cause operating problems. help me out guys...
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Have ya tried permanent markers?
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Uh......... are you serious? I see you are an Aggie so I'll guess you are. The bedliner stuff won't work, nor will your Mossberg if you use it. There are home finishes, Brownells has some. I haven't used any and can't recommend any. I have heard a lot of complaints though and I would suggest you use a gunsmith. So I guess I can't recommend anything "cheap."
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a couple of Mossie's for some of the guys. The blue rusts just from looking at it in the humid, salt air here. I recommend the black spray on epoxy finish from Brownells. Just detail strip the gun. De-grease it by washing it off with warm water and Dawn or Joy dishwashing detergent. Dry it well. Spray on the finish, it goes right over the regular finish, if you screw up, you can get it off with steel wool. Bake at 300F for 30 minutes. It is corrosion resistant, and very durable. About $12 a can if you get the gunsmith discount. With a Mossie, make damn sure you don't bake any plastic parts-they will melt! They also have GunKote in several colors, so you can cammie it up. It is easy, and cheap. Kinda smelly though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Cheap:
[url]http://www.brownells.com/Product/productDetail.asp?Spec=&ProductID=083048801&CategoryID=2636[/url]

Cheaper:
[url]http://www.brownells.com/Product/productDetail.asp?Spec=&ProductID=083002012&CategoryID=49[/url]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 1:40:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top