Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2001 9:24:24 AM EDT
I don't have any real info on it. It belongs to a co-worker.
Thanks in advance.

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/026/MI/hz/qv/kf13949.jpg[/img]

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/026/Tw/nm/MW/UN68010.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not ask your co-worker what he won it for?
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you tell me what it says on those bars across the ribbon?
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Could that be an old Women's Army Corps medal?  I kind of remember my mother having something like that from WWII.

What do the letters on the bars say?  

There are a bunch of websites with pictures of medals.  Poke around a little

Norm
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#4]
It looks like an early "Celebrate Diversity" medal.  I don't think that it is worth anything...
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Certainly not looking for Value!
Just wanted info.
I will try to find out some more,
like what's written on the Bars.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#6]
At first glance it looked like a WW2 Service Medal. The ribbons are very close. But the medal itself is very different.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Ditto Steyr,

Mr. Stoner(stoned) that is totally uncalled for.

Still need to know what the "bars"/apurtenances on the ribbon say.

It is not on the Army, or Marine, awards and decorations board. I do not know the address for the other services. I have also seen some reserve medals that were different from the active componants.

Lew
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Mr. Stoner(stoned) that is totally uncalled for.

Lew
View Quote

Terribly sorry "your worship."  I had no idea that such a flippant remark on my part would offend your (perfect) sensibilities.  Take the remark  in the vain it was meant mister, a joke.  Sheeesh.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#10]
As you say, a flippant remark.
Would you have said that to your Grandmother?
I doubt it. I simply do not joke about some things, and as I said, your "remark", was totally out of line.

I am far from perfect. But I would not disrespect anyone that is asking about a veteran's medals, nor would I EVER disrespect the veteran him/her self.

If I offended you, I offer an apology.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#11]
definately a ww1 victory medal. I met the oldest(probably only)ww1 vet in GA a few years ago hes like 107 now,they did an artical in GA magazine on him.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#12]
[img]http://www.ukans.edu/~kansite/ww_one/medals/usamedl/USvictry-.jpg[/img]
[size=4]World War I Victory Medal[/size=4]
Although it had been the custom of nations to award victory medals to allied troops, the number of belligerents involved in the First World War made this impractical. As a solution it was resolved that each nation would create it's own victory medal, suspended by a ribbon common to them all and featuring a winged Victory. The actual design of the medal itself would be left up to each individual country. The US Victory medal was authorized in 1919 for members of the US armed forces who served on active duty between April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918; also included was Russian and Siberian service. Various clasps bearing the names of battles, countries, or duty stations were authorized for wear on the ribbon of this award:
View Quote

[url]http://www.ukans.edu/~kansite/ww_one/medals/usamedl/usa.html[/url]

[url]http://www.ukans.edu/~kansite/ww_one/medals/medalshome.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks to all.

Del
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, it's definetly a World War I Victory Medal.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I was kinda close. The medal I mentioned was a WW2 Victory Medal, and NOT a service medal and the resemblence is now obvious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top