Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 7/19/2001 1:08:39 PM EDT
Went to one a couple of weeks ago. Ammo deals about the only thing going. Out the door with case of Wolf 7.62 for 79 bucks AR's Ha!! Postbans 800+ used Prebans 1500 + for part guns Mags $30+ for USGI used $40+ NIW I finally asked one guy why he liked carrying this stuff around from show to show since he obviously wasn't selling any! (got a real dirty look for that little nugget of unsolicited advice :) ! ) I have been looking for a used 686 S&W .357 SS 4" barrel. Three at the show at different tables. $370+ in 80-90% shape. I asked one guy what he would take cash for the best one and he said " If I would take less, I would have marked it less." Guess he likes carrying crap around too. Looking at WWII 1911 pistols Shooters,not collectors. $750+ mis-matched slides on all three! And my favorite!!!! SKS with large sign "RUSSIAN SKS" taped to stock and a $375 tag. Hmmm...I wonder, why is it stamped "MADE IN CHINA" on the lower. I assume just mis-labeled. I point it out to the guy at the table. "Oh no", he assures me, "the Chinese did some contract work for the Russians and it was a Russian gun with a few imported parts..Real rare, sure to go up in value" Thanks for the tip bub, I think I'll pass. Why do I go??????
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:16:52 PM EDT
Most gun shows around where i live are the same way. Overpriced crap. Some of it not even real. One guy at a gun show wanted to sell me a turkish Mauser for 120.00 that was in sh*tty shape!!!! I can get one for 40.00 from J&G Sales in Good/VG shape. I mainly go just to look the guns and haggle dealers about there outrageous prices.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:18:38 PM EDT
WW1 Checkered Knob German Luger in 90% condition all matching with 2 extra mags in holster for $300?
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:21:27 PM EDT
Because sometimes a rube from California will trade you a Pre-Ban AR15 Essential Arms rifle straight across for a Jam-o-Matic Mac10. Then at the same show you meet a guy selling 85%+ 20rd Universal Industries mags for $10each. Or the guy with NIW Para Ord P14 mags for $60. Wade through the bull sheeite and sometimes ya find a gem. If nothing else, you get to feel superior about your own vast firearms knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:32:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:34:58 PM EDT
Usually some good ammo prices. Always looking for reloading materials, like once fired brass, primers & powder with paying Hazmat fee, but bullets are iffy in price. Mags are something to look for, and usually safe dealers have show specials.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:38:44 PM EDT
I love gun shows too man,But if you dont know your sht,you can definitley get ripped the fuc off.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:41:32 PM EDT
Hey Striker... Are you allowed to have .50 BMG's in Canada?
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:45:08 PM EDT
The smell of Hoppes #9 in the air.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:58:42 PM EDT
I guess I go because I always have. I keep hoping that the good old days of gun shows will return along with Bush! That being said the only deals I got were form walkers that had just been insulted by those on the other side of the table.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 4:16:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gunmonkey: ... If nothing else, you get to feel superior about your own vast firearms knowledge.
View Quote
Ain't that the truth. Always willing to share my knowlege with the unwashed masses! :) One thing I really enjoy is going with some of my gun loving buddies.Each one knows EVERYTHING about some obscure firearm niche. I know a guy that can tell you t everything you ever wanted to know about trench guns. Always trading up. It is a real treat to watch him evaluate a trench gun at show. If the seller is legit, it is enlightening to listen to the conversation. If the seller doesn't know jack, but is a regular guy, he will talk to him and educate him in a very non-threating manner, man to man. If the seller starts spouting BS with an attitude, he is without mercy!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:11:06 PM EDT
I also love goin' with a group of guys who have $$$ and knowledge. Some gun show dealers are great fun to talk and bargain with, some are excellent whipping boys for the enlightened.Kinda like pawn shops.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:32:40 PM EDT
If the one ammunition dealer who makes the rounds at the SoCal gunshows stops selling, then the only reason that I would continue going would be for socializing. Unless you walk there, the local shows around here cost you $6 to park and $8 to get in the door. You have to find some really good deals to make it worthwhile.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:45:03 PM EDT
The shows near me stink. If they come around I go if not I buy things on the net. I have better luck shopping online. Between the gun stores and gun shows I like the computer better.
Top Top