Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2001 10:13:12 AM EST
At about 10:30 today I went over to my mother-in-laws, I found that on one of her trees there was about 2000 honey bees. Here is a pic. [img]www.ntws.net/keldon/Pics/bees1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:14:30 AM EST
[img]www.ntws.net/keldon/Pics/bees2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:19:21 AM EST
I thought you were going to tell us you found another gun Don had hidden away from ya. Keep John away from those bzzzzzzz
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:21:30 AM EST
when a hive becomes large enough a mass of bees will break off, form a "swarm", and find a spot to found another hive.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:21:52 AM EST
Looks like 2001 to me. :)
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:23:41 AM EST
I wish I had found another gun. John wanted to go and look at them but I know if he got up there he would end up in the hospital before it was over.[x] Don called the ext. agent and got a bee keeper to come and get them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:26:36 AM EST
God, that skeeves me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:32:50 AM EST
Hope those aren't africanized killer bees![X]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:42:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By reconxl: Hope those aren't africanized killer bees![X]
View Quote
You aint kidding, just in the last few weeks killer bees have put a 71 year old man in the hospital in critical condition and killed a German Shepherd. their swarms look just like that. The County is telling people to call a beekeeper anytime they see a free swarm like that, in that condition, where they dont have a structure to shelter the queen, they are extreamly prone to swarming anything that moves. Beekeepers here are doing 12 and 14 hour days to keep up with the calls.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:46:33 AM EST
Shoulda got the shotgun... BOOM.. BOOM.. BOOM.. BOOM.... RUN!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:47:57 AM EST
Impressive bunch of bzzz's
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:54:25 AM EST
Actually when I first saw your title I thought "Oh oh, one of our people found one of the FBI's missing guns and bought it" [:)]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:59:52 AM EST
Poke it with a stick.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 11:00:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By Moose Drool: Shoulda got the shotgun... BOOM.. BOOM.. BOOM.. BOOM.... RUN!!!!!
View Quote
this might be a good scenario for those magnesium flamethrower shells
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 11:04:35 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 11:23:30 AM EST
"Italian" honey bees? there isnt a native North American bee?
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 11:27:22 AM EST
damn - sure would hate to piss them off.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 11:58:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:13:44 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:18:30 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:22:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:23:41 PM EST
Of all the bees in the US, what percentage do the African bees account for and How many stings do they account for? Say....oh....12% of the total bees, but 76% of all bee stings?
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:25:24 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:39:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2001 12:44:36 PM EST by osprey21]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:43:45 PM EST
This is totally awsome. Not the bee's the fact that as a group we have such knowledge it is unbelievable. Situation: Guy posts a few pics of a lot of bee's. We have a guy on the board that is called the beekeeper. He knows about bee's. Just think of how many other type of people/knowledge is here. Not only guns but something for everyone. AR15.com is number one!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:01:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1: Italian ("normal") honey bees are very docile when swarming as they have no home to defend. They hang there, usually for about three days, while sending scout bees out to find a suitable location to establish a new colony. If you leave them alone they will leave soon. No need to kill them.
View Quote
I had an experience with bees one time that has made me totally "anti-bee" to say the least. Granted, honey bees are one thing, but you haven't lived until you've crawled under the dash board of a car in a junk yard, only to find yourself staring straight up the anus of a large paper hornet's nest! I don't know if banging my head into every metal object between it and the door hurt worse, or was it the 20 plus stings I received during the exit. That was when I found out I wasn't alergic, at least not medically speaking. To this day, I kill every hive of every kind of bee I encounter on my property. If I found a swarm like that, I'd probably freak the f*ck out right there! Just looking at the pic gives me the willies.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:25:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By McUZI: Of all the bees in the US, what percentage do the African bees account for and How many stings do they account for? Say....oh....12% of the total bees, but 76% of all bee stings?
View Quote
Nice.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:57:04 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:07:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:14:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2001 7:34:24 PM EST by Striker]
McUZI, Check out this web address about the africanized honey bee. A couple of other links are also given. [url]agnews.tamu.edu/bees[/url] (for some reason I can't create the active link [pissed] ) [blue]you have to use small case letters.[url][/blue]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:18:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1: BTW, a bit of trivia, scientifically the bumble bee cannot fly. The wing surface area, relative to the body mass, is insufficient to support flight. Try squaring that with evolution!
View Quote
I hate to Be the "Stick in the Mud", but.... That is an old Wives tale.The people who did these early calculations didn't fully understand insectoid(sp?) flight. They were using calculations of bird flight and Our limited aerodynamic knowledge. Using more modern flight models, The bee's wing size works out just fine... Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:23:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:25:34 PM EST
Hey Bee Keeper, My grand dad kept Honey Bees until he was unable to tend to them. I have only seen a swarm like in that pic once in 20 years around his place. Seems like he was able to smoke them and capture the queen and put them in a bee gum not real sure I was only like 8 at the time. I loved his sour wood honey what ever that is. Also WTF are those red/brown yellow wasp looking things I've heard them called (Japanese hornets) that are about 2 inches long and make nest the size of beach balls. I saw a bunch of them up in NC when I was growing up and those things are pure evil. Their sting is worst than a bumble bee and they're a wasp so they can sting you more than once. Seems like the normal colony is about 1 buzzzillion strong.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 3:06:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By Big_Bear: MMMmmmmm... HONEY!
View Quote
MMMmmmmm... BEE SPIT!
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 3:21:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1: The only thing worse in North America is the baldfaced hornet, which make the large grayish paper nests on tree branches, or under the soffit of a house. They are larger (over 1"), and a dusty black color with a dirty white face and white stripes on the abdomen. They are absolutely ferocious and will chase you until you can run no more. Ironically, they are easier for me to kill, as one can just (at night--they can't see in the dark and are all "home" then) spray shave cream in the one entrance and then cut it down and put it in a garbage bag and place in freezer for several days. Freezing kills them. Scary work though, knowing they can and will kill me.
View Quote
These were definately the bald faced hornets. The car in question was a 1973 Chrysler and the doors had been removed years before. The hornets built their cone shaped nest under the dash, and the bottom of the cone was just barely out of view until I was all the way under. I'd say the nest was bigger than a basket ball. I went to the hospital after the attack and was told I was lucky to be alive - an attack that started at that close proximity should have resulted in way more stings. I think the only thing that saved me was the fact that it was fairly cool that day, like low to mid 60's, and the bees were moving a little slow, unlike me!
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 3:24:06 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 5:47:31 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:28:44 PM EST
Beekeeper, thanks for the info about the bees. These guys were calm enough to let us get within a couple of feet and just watch them. This was interesting to say the least. A friend of my father also keeps bees. He came over this evening and said that this bunch looked to be around 3 pounds of bees. Is there a specific number of bees that makes a pound?
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 7:03:09 PM EST
man thats a sh*tload of bees. for some reason i have a craving for honey now [:D]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 7:14:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1: ...spray shave cream in the one entrance and then cut it down and put it in a garbage bag and place in freezer for several days. Freezing kills them.
View Quote
me and my brother had a funnner way, back in the pre-ban days of r-12 freon we'd take a new can from dads or grandads stash..uhh stash maybe not the right word they we're mechanics not huffers..anyway we'd hook a charging manifold to the can and put the fitting right up the asshole of the nest and freeze it quick. then throw it against the ground! it all breaks like so much glass. plus when it thaws some of the wasp parts would move around a bit!
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 7:19:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2001 7:16:49 PM EST by MG_ME]
I have worked with bee's, my neighbor has about 70 hive's, they will leave in a day or so if not a beekeeper will smoke them with a smoker then place a open hive box underneath them then eather scrape them in or shake them in. we used to go into town were bee's are a nusence then we take care of them for people. ive been attact once by a swarm it was really scary.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 7:53:38 PM EST
OK The honey bee is a non-native species introduced by us.What about other bee species..such as the hornets mentioned earlier? I imagine there was no economic benefit to introducing species like that, but hey, accidents happen.... just wondered what other bee species were native or introduced.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 7:57:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2001 7:55:50 PM EST by prk]
beekeeper1 - Do you know any of your colleagues who have been keeping bees for a really long time? Do many of them seem really "out of it"? I met a guy once who was moving a queen and I think some other bees in his small truck. He was friendly and happy to explain about bees - he showed me the queen who he let crawl all around his hand. Only thing was, he seemed like he was, well, on a different plane of existence. So I wondered: Do you get like this when you've been stung numerous times over a long period? Or maybe this guy was sleep-deprived, stoned, or just plain odd. How long is the smoke effective, anyway? [red][size=4]prk
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 7:59:54 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 8:22:00 PM EST
with all them bees and honey man the hephalumps and wuzzels must be waiting for them bees to get out so they can steal all dat Honey
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 8:38:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By cyrax777: with all them bees and honey man the hephalumps and wuzzels must be waiting for them bees to get out so they can steal all dat Honey
View Quote
Oh,bother! I seem to be all out of honey. Could I borrow a small smakral of honey from you?
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 8:56:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 9:09:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:11:54 PM EST
Count me as another person with a bee phobia. Mainly hornets and wasps. Just reading this thread has made me jumpy. Anyone heard the theory that the more the africanized bees breed with the Italian bees, the more docile they will become? I don't know how plausible that is, but I've heard it before on nature TV shows. USPC40 ------------------------------------------------- [b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url] [b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url] [b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url] [b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url] [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 11:20:11 PM EST
I found a bunch of bees like that in my plumb tree one morning. I figured it was because there was a hive of them in my concrete fence next to the plumb tree, but the next morning every single bee in the tree was gone.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:49:25 AM EST
I'm allergic to bee stings... I say "Nuke 'em from orbit, its the..." Oops, wrong movie... um, shoot 'em with some RAID! M.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top