Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2001 5:52:57 AM EDT
Are the conversion pins effective?  I know if I want to avoid the issue I need to buy other than a number of the pre-ban Colts.  Are there specific Colts that had a small hole, or is it hit-and miss?

I'm only referring to pre-ban here...thanks!
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:09:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Colt large hole lower and a bushmaster small hole upper.  It really isn't a big deal other then the pain of needing an offset pin rather then the stardard one that come with your lower.

It doesn't effect the fit at all.  Just imagine the upper attached to the lower and when you look through the hole you can see the entire small hole of the upper and a little bit of the upper around the hole.  All the offset adapter pin does is fill the large holes and neck down to fit through the small hole.  

Like I said it really isn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Does using the offset pin affect the tightness of how the lower and upper receivers fits together? In other words, do you feel that there is more play when you use a large hole lower with a small hole upper (and an offset pin) verses a small hole lower with a small hole upper.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#3]
They don't effect the tightness on mine.  My lower has large holes and the upper is a M4 upper (small)  Nice and tight.

But, I've noticed, unless I tighten the screw in the front pivot pin hole super tight... it loosens up (while shooting) and I end up loosing the nut.  Major Pita.

Link Posted: 7/19/2001 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I ordered a conversion pin from cheaper than dirt and it actually tightened my upper and lower. There is absolutely no play whatsoever. That doesnt mean it will work on all of them though.

RLTW
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine is nice and tight even before I get the pin in there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Is drilling out the hole in the upper (by a GOOD 'smith) and option?
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't think so.  I think there wouldn't be enough metal after you reamed out the hole.  It would be too weak.   This is me just picturing the image because I'm at work.  [:)]

Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]
You are worrying about this too much.

If I handed you 5 ARs you couldn't spot the one with the offset pin by looking at them or shooting them.

It has no effect IMO.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#9]
7, put a drop of the low tensile strength thread lock on the threads and the problem should go away.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is drilling out the hole in the upper (by a GOOD 'smith) and option?
View Quote

I heard somebody was doing this
C&S metalwerks????
I forget.
The conversion pin works for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top