Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2001 3:08:43 PM EDT
Topic:   Dale Earnhardt killed at Daytona  

posted 02-18-2001 18:47                
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Un- confirmed but it is being anounced by Fox that Ernhardt died from injuries sustained in a crash on the last lap.
------------------
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh my, I saw that too.  I tuned into the last lap.

Look on CNN, it is confirmed.  What a sad day for NASCAR.
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Earnhardt Killed in Tragic Daytona Won by Waltrip
Updated 6:59 PM ET February 18, 2001

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Reuters) - Michael Waltrip won the Daytona 500 on Sunday for his first victory in 463 starts on the NASCAR Winston Cup Series in a race marred by the tragic death of NASCAR motor racing legend Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Earnhardt, a seven-time NASCAR Winston Cup champion, died of injuries resulting from a last-lap accident in Sunday's race. He was 49.

Waltrip, the younger brother of 1989 Daytona 500 winner Darrell Waltrip, held off teammate Earnhardt the final 10 laps before the tragic accident.

Waltrip and Earnhardt's Chevrolets are both owned by Dale Earnhardt Sr.

Rusty Wallace and Ricky Rudd, both in Fords, finished third and fourth, followed by polesitter Bill Elliott, who spearheaded the return of Dodge to the series.

The race was red-flagged on lap 175 for an 18-car wreck that took out many of the top contenders, including defending race champion Dale Jarrett and defending series champion Bobby Labonte.

Link Posted: 2/18/2001 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]
hey m4, dale SR. DIED IN THE CRASH.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top