Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 7/18/2001 6:29:37 AM EDT
July 18, 2001 Group wants media to ignore hunting By Gene Mueller THE WASHINGTON TIMES The animal rights group Fund for Animals has sent an open letter to the editors of more than 2,000 newspapers that asks them not to publish any outdoors columns that would promote hunting or trapping. The FFA, founded in 1967 by author, television critic and vociferous anti-hunting proponent Cleveland Amory, has been relatively quiet in recent years compared to its bigger cousin, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). But by taking a shot at newspaper editors, it is possible it hopes to regain some of the publicity (read fund-raising ability) it has lost. The FFA also sent a similar request to the heads of ESPN and Comcast, asking them to stop broadcasting hunting shows. It only will be a matter of time before recreational fishing also becomes the target of the animal rights group. PETA already is hard at work sending anti-fishing messages across the land. The FFA apparently is getting support from Marv Levy, the former coach of the NFL's Buffalo Bills. Levy for some reason has turned against hunting as a viable recreational activity. "I don't consider hunting a sport; I consider it murder," he says. Fund for Animals program coordinator Norm Phelps is more than happy to use Levy's anti-hunting stance in a national campaign that hopes to see hunting eventually outlawed across the continent. Heidi Prescott, the national director of FFA, suggests that sport hunting is on the wane in the United States. "America's values are changing," she says. "Today, only a tiny fraction of Americans hunt. We're maturing as a society, and the Fund for Animals is calling on America's sports media to reflect that change." http://www.washtimes.com/sports/default-2001718235036.htm
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:39:03 AM EDT
Do these idiots realize how much cash we put toward wildlife conservation every year with the excise taxes on ammo and guns? or deer and duck stamps? I don't know either, but I'm wanting to say the last Budweiser Outdoors pamphlet I read said something like $40 million just from the ammo and gun taxes alone. How much are they willing to pony up?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:49:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/18/2001 6:45:41 AM EDT by hg112]
I have a dream.... that one day there will be so many deer, it will be impossible to drive down the road without hitting one. I have a dream.... That that there will be so many coyotes that your domestic animals will not be safe. I have a dream.... that someday a man will have to sit in front of a jury, trying to prove that he killed the bear in self defense.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:52:53 AM EDT
as a hunter and nature/animal lover, i live in that grey area that fools like them refuse to accept. i hunt to uphold tradition, to sharpen my skills as a woodsman, and sometimes to feast on nature's bounty the way God intended. i know that my license/stamp and gun/ammo $$'s go to protect habitat, and i feel good about helping out. my question to PETA et al. is this: what do we do when hunting is outlawed and the Jersey soccer-moms want deer control because their precious, non-indiginous and quite gawdy flower gardens get eaten??? the hypocracy is made plain when the SM's give donations to PETA, then demand animal control. what's next, fishing? where do these so-called animal lovers think burgers come from? is there more honor in being 100% DEPENDENT on the "system" or in being self-sufficient?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:56:18 AM EDT
In NJ we have a ban on steel leg hold traps. Just owning one is a crime. So now as a result of not being able to trap we have a huge Deer Tick problem,aka Lyme Disease. Nice trade off don't you think?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:58:13 AM EDT
what's next, fishing? where do these so-called animal lovers think burgers come from? is there more honor in being 100% DEPENDENT on the "system" or in being self-sufficient?
View Quote
I quess we will have to outlaw all meat. While we're at it we should make it illegal for a wild animal to kill another. It is too violent. What if a child were to see? [:O] These people are ridiculous. What a bunch of pu$$ies.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:03:05 AM EDT
I should have added that I'm pissed about Marv Levy backing these dipshits. I love football and it sucks to have to start hating someone I HAD a lot of respect for, but I have to pick my battles. RKBA and hunting rights are way more important than pigskin. Has there ever been a species hunted to extinction? I'm genuinly curious about this, I know we went after wolves and damn near got rid of all of em. Other than that I can't think of anything.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:14:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/18/2001 7:11:52 AM EDT by fattym4]
Originally Posted By hg112: I quess we will have to outlaw all meat. While we're at it we should make it illegal for a wild animal to kill another. It is too violent. What if a child were to see? [:O]
View Quote
guys, i'm gonna get fired if i keep busting out in hysterical laughter! please warn me of future humor, so i can avoid reading these evil posts!!! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:50:55 AM EDT
101-proof, you've never heard of the buffalo, wild turkey, elk,and in some cases, white tailed deer? Many species were locally extirpated as the country was settled. We used to have elk in the Northeast, buffalo as far east as Kentucky, if not further. Pennslyvania reintroduced elk, and they are now doing well-to the point that a limited elk season will occur this fall. The passenger pigeon, I believe, was hunted to extinction. The buffalo, nearly so. Market hunting really put a hurting on many waterfowl species around the turn of the last century. Some states even halted hunting for white tails in the early 1900's as hunting seasons and bag limits were established. Basicly, with sound, scientifically based wildlife management, we have many success stories. In many cases, the good ol days are probably now for deer and turkey. Species which require a lot of elbow room will never flourish as they once did. Hunter dollars have accounted for much of the habitat improvement that everyone enjoys. Yeah, I wonder how many wood duck boxes bunnyhuggers have put out near beaver swamps... As for me, it's time to start getting the ol' archery form back into hunting shape.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:54:48 AM EDT
I exist. Therefore I hunt. [sniper] Another reason to be an NRA member: they lobby hard for hunter's rights as well as the 2nd.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:07:40 AM EDT
If animals are not killed then, animals will multiply like crazy and then we will have a big problem.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:22:04 AM EDT
I would have loved to see all of those buffalo herds. That would have been an awesome sight.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:22:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 10:35:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
Originally Posted By MAUSER88: In NJ we have a ban on steel leg hold traps. Just owning one is a crime. So now as a result of not being able to trap we have a huge Deer Tick problem,aka Lyme Disease. Nice trade off don't you think?
View Quote
Christ! You have to trap your ticks? In Missouri (I have hunting ground there) we just shotgun 'em. [shotgun]
View Quote
Hell, in VA we just napalm them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:50:36 AM EDT
I'm a member of PETA. [size=4]P[/size=4]eople for the [size=4]E[/size=4]ating[/size=4] of [size=4]T[/size=4]astey [size=4]A[/size=4]nimals[/size=4]. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:55:09 AM EDT
I have a fund for animals. When it gets big enough I take it and buy steak. Species go extinct every day. For lots of reasons. So, some day, will we...it's just that the reasons are much more obvious.
Top Top