Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2001 5:04:47 PM EDT
I will soon be purchasing a 50 BMG, but should it be a Barrett (High Dollar), Armalite (Good Price)? Any suggestions or Experience to help me render a decision, Budget is $3,000.00 max.
does not need to be one of the above brands. Good experienced advice would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't suggest. I have never even shot one. God bless you and your new rifle you lucky %@^#&%$.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Know about the Serbu mag-fed bolt action?
[url]http://www.serbu.com/bfg50.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I will soon be purchasing a 50 BMG, but should it be a Barrett (High Dollar), Armalite (Good Price)? Any suggestions or Experience to help me render a decision, Budget is $3,000.00 max.
does not need to be one of the above brands. Good experienced advice would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote

Hmm...that is a really tough decision. I guess the answer would depend upon what kind of performance (accuracy) you want out of the rifle and what kind of "purpose" it is to be used for.

IF it is for punching through large area targets (metallic objects with 4 wheels), then I would say..go with the Barrett..

However if it is to be used for PRECISION shooting then I would go with the most accurate Single Shot rifle that you can afford (since a Single Shot receiver will be stiffer than a magazine fed receiver).

Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Two suggestions.
1rst-  Think about what your needs are, then check with the crew at [url]www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/wwwboard/[/url]
2nd- If you are serious, stand up and be counted, join the FCSA. [url]www.fcsa.org/[/url]

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Know about the Serbu mag-fed bolt action?
[url]http://www.serbu.com/bfg50.htm[/url][

I appreciate the link to Serbu, very nice looking weapon, do you own one of these?
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Basically my needs for this weapon is accuracy, and must be able to handle various types of ammo such as AP,APTI, etc..
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought an Armalite AR50 and am very pleased with it.  Soft recoil, rugged, accurate, shoots anything including boreriders and adjustments to fit just about anybody.  The slight recoil is a HUGE factor in enjoying the rifle.

My AR50 was the highest placing "factory rifle" at the .50 BMG World Champs two weeks ago.  It beat many custom-built rifles costing several times the price of my Armalite.

Spend the extra dollars on a good long range scope of at least 20 power.  Match triggers are available.  The AR50 was designed to handle not only the domestic .50 BMG but also the hotter Russian 12.7mm round.

You'll like it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Klaus makes the best .50 out there.
Period.
Go State.
Edited to add the LAR's are the Lorcin of 50's.
Production junk.
The Barrett Semi's are BAD-ASS! but spendy, and not as accurate as a good boltie.
Klaus uses WALTHER OF GERMANY barrels...
Not "Lothar" Walther...
All hand-built, and never fail.
IMO, the most accurate .50 out there, and I have shot 4 different 50 makes.
Serbu
Barrett
LAR Grizly
and State.

Get the Fishgill brake too. The "Tank" brake looks cool, but the fishgill with a hydro stock makes the recoil about .308 range (I don't know if he still offers the piston stock or not)

It will chamber any ammo, and you can get 1 n 9 1/2 or 1 n 15 Twists from him.
His propritery line of .50 scopes are some of the finest scopes out there.
They are made in Japan, by the finest nip optics artisans.

Fiftez be kewl.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I am also in the market for a .50 cal, and  have been researching them too.  I did not know Mark had the mag fed BFG ready yet. It has a Walther barrel, so is at the top of my list.  It might be a tad more accurate than the AR-50.  I ruled out all models that require you to remove the bolt to chamber a round.  All of the really cool ones are out of my price range.  I really want a Barret M95 or an M650 SLAMR.

There is not only the cost of the rifle to consider, but $100 or so for a bi-pod, and a few hundred bucks for a scope and rings.  Ammo will set me back about a $1.50 a pop.  Once I buy it, I may not be able to shoot it.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
and a few hundred bucks for a scope and rings.
View Quote

A few hundred bucks?
You are going to buy a rifle that is meant to tap out to a friggin mile, and you think you are going to be able to get a suitable scope for a few hundred bucks>?

Lemme guess....
Tasco?
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Before you spend any money take a look the AMAC offered by Kent Lomont in SGN. They cost $3300 delivered and if your serious about accuracy you owe him a call. They come with lapped 30mm rings on a 1 or 1/2 degree canted mount. A super heavy duty bipod is also included.  All that you have to do is mount your glass and shoot. With my first batch of reloads using Hornady A-MAX I was able to get a 1 1/2 group @ 300 yards.  The weapon is bullet proof and Kent has one with over 10,000 rounds through it. Best 1000 yard group on record by an AMAC owner is a little over three inches. The weapon weighs about 36 pounds and is a pleasure to shoot.  The whole weapon uses dedicated parts and is completely machined. It breaks down into several pieces for transportation. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Hmmm....

I didn't know Lomont was making a 50....
Is it 100% Lomont? Or does he use contracted parts?
I know some dude who got a DD from him, and was VERY happy...
I guess Lomont is a very good guy...
I never talked to him, but I have seen his website..
Talk about some seeeerious HARDWARE!
DAMN!
That dude has enough FA's and DD's to arm most Central American countries!?!?!
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#16]
[b]
GARAND SHOOTER!
YOU KNOW A PLACE TO GET SLAPS?!?!?![/b]

I see them one or two at a time on Auctionarms sometimes, but Raufoss or SLAP seems to be friggin  I_M_P_O_S_S_I_B_L_E  to find a constant source...
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought I heard my name taken in vain!!

Thebeekeeper--you and your wife are welcome to shoot anytime.  I am glad you enjoyed it.

Now to business--

CQB,

In the .50 world, you need to set a budget like anything else.

How much are you willing to spend for a gun (I'll cover optics a little later)?

Bottom of the price range-$1300 for a Ferrett bolt action upper for an AR or a Watson's--screw in bolt for an AR lower.

Next rung--
State Arms specials--$1800 gets you a complete gun with a bipod and inexpensive (they work, though) rings.  I have the "herniator" a Knob Creek 2000 Special.  He is out of those, but has/had a "shorty"--a slightly shorter/tapered barrel gun.

Then--
$2500 for an Armalite (although I have seen unfired guns with some shopwear listed as low as $2100).  You will need a bipod and rings for that also.

$3000 for a Barrett M99.

$3000 for an AMAC.

$4000+ for a McBros single shot, more for a repeater.

$6000+ for a Robar.

$7000+ for a Windrunner or Barrett M82.

As to accuracy, the Armalite and State Arms are the best in the lower price range.  The AMAC (another shell holder design) is also very accurate.  The Barrett M82 is a blast to shoot, but won't win any accuracy awards.  The Windrunner, some of the Heavy and Light Class Benchrest guns are EXTREMELY accurate--as in 5-7" groups at 1000 yards.  

A couple of other possiblilties that were not discussed--
$1200 gets you a single shot Windrunner action, a barrel and stock made and fitted correctly will add another $1500ish.  

The AMAC--a BULL strong shellholder type.  The Shell holder design is slower to load, but is inherently very accurate.

A lot of the accuracy in the gun depends on the shooter, the ammo, the scope and lastly the gun.

Buy good ammo (even Talon remanufactured stuff is reportedly very accurate) and put a good scope on the rifle (in good, solid rings), and the rifle will probably do better than you can actually shoot it.

Optics--

Prices range:
$300 Tasco SS (will work as a bottom line .50 capable scope).
$500-800 Leupolds--nice scopes.
$1000 Nightforce NXS--real nice scopes, put the Leupolds in the middle rung of the scope world.
$2000 US Optics--probably the best, but VERY expensive and typically a long wait.

There are some other good, reasonable scopes out there--IOR Valdata ($500 range), etc.  

Fortunately, you can probably find a good used scope to start out with, and if you find you need more magnification or a different reticle design, you can sell it for what you have in it.

Definitely get a good, solid bipod for a rifle if it doesn't come with it.  Also Good, solid ($100+ usually) rings help a lot.

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
[b]
GARAND SHOOTER!

I see them one or two at a time on Auctionarms sometimes, but Raufoss or SLAP seems to be friggin  I_M_P_O_S_S_I_B_L_E  to find a constant source...
View Quote

I believe you may possibly be able to get SLAP rounds at pfcustomguns.com, check him out, he may be able to get it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't be publicly seeking the Raufoss--apparently all them are stolen military property, and will cost $30 or more each if you ever find them.  There are a few jokers who paint the tips green and white and sell them as Raufoss--the only way to be sure is to X-ray them.

I have yet to see SLAP loads advertised around, either.

Ammoman is going to get some Spotter-Tracer loads in shortly--would DEFINITELY be worth a look.

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
[b]
GARAND SHOOTER!

View Quote

Carefull!  If I remember right, you are in FL.  Raufoss are illegal to possess in FL.  I wouldn't know about GA GA. :)

Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Saboted Light Armor Piercing--

I believe the round is .30 cal.

Raufoss is named for the Norwegian(?) town where it was developed--it is an Armor Piercing, Incendiary with an explosive charge in the round (Semtex?).  

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Uh, kinda afraid to ask, but what's a SLAP?
View Quote

SABOTED LIGHT ARMOR PENETRATOR

[img]www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/50slap.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#24]
1) There are 2 SLAPS on AuctionArms right now. Go type in BMG and you'll see them.

2) Raufoss are illegal to possess not just in Florida, but ANYWHERE! And you know what?
I don't fucking care.

3) Klaus makes different levels of .50's.
The upper-end models (Not the "Rebel") can keep pace with Windrunners.
Not quite as tight groups, but they can keep up.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#25]
McMillan Bros 50cal Sporter or Single shot sporter. Not that it matter, but the SEALs use the McBros Tactical:

The Sporter
[img]http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcbros/fifty/50_spor.jpg[/img]

The Tactical
[img]http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcbros/tactical/tac50a1.jpg[/img]

Of course, these are over your budget, since they range between $4600-4900. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, I will probably spend $2500 for the bare rifle and then put a cheap Tasco scope on it.  I figure I will only have one chance to buy a .50, but have the rest of my life to find a good scope.  I did not buy a FAL before the PRK ban, and kick myself almost everyday.  It won't be long before .50s are banned, so I am gonna sell one of my kidneys to pay for it if I have to.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Barrett M82A1 and never look back.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#29]
These guy claim to have SLAP, APIHE, and other cool stuff: [url] http://www.garysguns.com/exotic.htm [/url]

I have never ordered from them, so you're on your own.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
McMillan Bros 50cal Sporter or Single shot sporter. Not that it matter, but the SEALs use the McBros Tactical:

The Sporter

The Tactical
[img]http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcbros/tactical/tac50a1.jpg[/img]

Of course, these are over your budget, since they range between $4600-4900. [;)]
View Quote

Overpriced or not, I like my McMillan Tactical. I got one with a black stock.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#31]
MEJAMES) Good point...Didn't think of that...)

I still don't care. I think the upper end State models are the Best next to Windrunners.

If it's all about "who uses 'em" the seals also use Rhino 50's, Barrett's, and I know Klaus said he has made several of his 50's for the Navy...whether they were for SEALs or not I don't know.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 11:19:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Sporter
View Quote

Oooh oooh, is that REALLY a left-handed 50?  Or did some wienie at McMillain reverse the picture?

EDITED because I was too happy to find the answer myself.

"Left hand .50 caliber models available at no additional cost. "
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:46:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yes, I will probably spend $2500 for the bare rifle and then put a cheap Tasco scope on it.  I figure I will only have one chance to buy a .50, but have the rest of my life to find a good scope.  I did not buy a FAL before the PRK ban, and kick myself almost everyday.  It won't be long before .50s are banned, so I am gonna sell one of my kidneys to pay for it if I have to.  
View Quote

The TASCO SUPER SNIPER X20 Has Japan optics nice and clear, will holf up to the continued recoil of the .50 BMG and it will not need to be replaced. It has a military use warranty, ans costs about $300. at a discount optics outlet, normally $600. to $700.!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:53:21 AM EDT
[#34]
SERBU & STATE ARMS make quality .50 BMG platforms, are affordable to the average person!

The STATE ARMS platform has a brake that can be removed quickly for those sabot rounds if you can afford them, or make them! Their scope is zeroed at 100 meters, then hand adjusts way out there in 100 m clicks, a ranging feature for elk that can be adapted for a human. They have a tactical version of weapons and scopes for those who can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/18/2001 4:43:29 AM EDT
[#35]
What Gunplay said! It took me two 50's to figure the M82A1 is where it's at!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 5:06:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What Gunplay said! It took me two 50's to figure the M82A1 is where it's at!
View Quote

If you have the cash, it is best!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#37]
The prices for the military ammo on garysguns.com made me cringe! What a RIP-OFF! $6 per round for API and $35 per round for SLAP! I bought 8 rounds of Slap for $12 per round! Anymore than $15 is a rip, keep looking, its out there and reasonable.
Bryan
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:08:51 AM EDT
[#38]
I have an AR50 and love it.  I know the Barret is suppossed to be superior, but I don't like the bullpup design, especially on a .50.  The AR50 is big, heavy, and sexy.  If you want a 50 to carry around, get the Barret.  if you want a 50 that looks great, shoots VERY comfortably, get the Armalite.  I will be surprised if you don't like it!!!
Whatever 50 you get, ENJOY IT!!!

AR50Guy
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
Quoted:
GARAND SHOOTER!
YOU KNOW A PLACE TO GET SLAPS?!?!?!

I see them one or two at a time on Auctionarms sometimes, but Raufoss or SLAP seems to be friggin I_M_P_O_S_S_I_B_L_E to find a constant source...
View Quote

The most I have ever seen for sale in the same place was a lot of 10, but they do turn up. I never got any just cause I don't have a 50.

I have also heard of a couple folks using the commercial sabots and turning thier own .30 projectiles on a lathe.. not sure how well they work however

[b]There may be someone with nothing better to do, but if I was interested in SLAP, my vote would be for buying a box of .30 cal AP and inserting them into the sabots.[/b]

2) Raufoss are illegal to possess not just in Florida, but ANYWHERE! And you know what?
I don't fucking care.
View Quote

You sure? I have heard from some folks that there is not enough explosive in one to make it a regulated item.. something worth checking out anyway.
View Quote

Yea, I'm sure.

2000 Florida Statutes

790.31  Armor-piercing or exploding ammunition or dragon's breath shotgun shells, bolo shells, or flechette shells prohibited.-

(b)  "Exploding bullet" means any bullet that can be fired from any firearm, if such bullet is
designed or altered so as to detonate or forcibly break up through the use of an explosive or deflagrant contained wholly or partially within or attached to such bullet. The term does not include any bullet designed to expand or break up through the mechanical forces
of impact alone or any signaling device or pest control device not designed to impact on any target.

[url]www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC31.HTM&Title=->2000->Ch0790->Section%2031[/url]

Link Posted: 7/18/2001 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
McMillan Bros 50cal Sporter or Single shot sporter. Not that it matter, but the SEALs use the McBros Tactical...
View Quote

Overpriced or not, I like my McMillan Tactical. I got one with a black stock.  
View Quote

I didn't say overpriced, just over our friend's budget.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Sporter
View Quote

Oooh oooh, is that REALLY a left-handed 50?  Or did some wienie at McMillain reverse the picture?

EDITED because I was too happy to find the answer myself.

"Left hand .50 caliber models available at no additional cost. "
View Quote

There ya go. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#42]
M2 HB.

My NFA dealer has one for $10K. Only about $2K more than a Barrett.

Lot more fun, though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
M2 HB.

Lot more fun, though.
View Quote

You know, i've shot one of those before..
Talk about an unreal gun...

My thing is this...
If you can afford to feed an M2, you can afford to buy an Island, and start your own country where M2's aren't restricted items- So you won't have to pay 10K....

I mean, yeah, they are cool and all...
But c'mon!
I don't think there is any faster way to blow $1000.00 worth of ammo then with an NFA M2...
And that's part of the reason they are "only" ten grand....
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#44]
there is a used one that is on the equipment exchange. check it out. An AR-50 for $1900.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#46]
I understand that not a single Raufoss round has ever been publicly sold... (Olin factory, Raufoss of Norway factory, or De-Mil)

Thus, all Raufoss rounds are government property.

Thus, any Raufoss round being publicly sold is stolen government property...

Unless there is a state that allows stolen government property that I am unaware of, all Raufoss rounds are illegal.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
M2 HB.

Lot more fun, though.
View Quote

Not quite as much fun...TNW ([url] www.tnwfirearms.com [/url])remanufactures M2s to fire semi auto only, cost is $6k without mount.

They're also having a buck a round API and APIT ammo special.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top