Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2001 11:11:19 PM EDT
Saw a show on the History Channel last nite on the art of deception in war (i.e. using the enemies color of tracer to confuse them). I found the show to be very interesting and am curious to hear any stories firsthand. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 3:19:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Saw a show on the History Channel last nite on the art of deception in war (i.e. using the enemies color of tracer to confuse them). I found the show to be very interesting and am curious to hear any stories firsthand. Thanks
View Quote

You will be hard pressed to get a response to this one, as in PSYOPS and deception are one and the same!
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 3:46:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#4]
No they aren't. While you can use deception as part of Pys Ops, they are differant

Here are the military definitions for them, but I guess you already knew them:

deception (JP 1-02, NATO) — Those measures designed to mislead the enemy by manipulation, distortion, or falsification of evidence to induce him to react in a manner prejudicial to his interests. (Army) — The goal is to make an enemy more vulnerable to the effects of weapons, maneuver, and operations of friendly forces. (See also deception operation, demonstration, and imitative electromagnetic deception (IED).)

psychological operations (PSYOP) (JP 1-02) — Planned operations to convey selected information and indicators to foreign audiences to influence their emotions, motives, objective reasoning, and ultimately the behavior of foreign governments, organizations, groups, and individuals. The purpose of psychological operations is to induce or reinforce foreign attitudes and behavior favorable to the originator's objectives.

psychological warfare (JP 1-02) — The planned use of propaganda and other psychological actions having the primary purpose of influencing the opinions, emotions, attitudes, and behavior of hostile foreign groups in such a way as to support the achievement of national objectives.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top