Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2001 3:09:48 PM EDT
Anyone use one of these? I've been looking at them a little but need some advice.

I just want to keep lists of my contacts, and possibly some dates, real basic use. Of course it is going to be like anything, buy the biggest you can afford I'm sure.

Are they really usefull, or do you find yourself not using it as much as you thought?

Any suggestions on a model, and a good source or source for price comparison would be appreciated too if you know of any?

Oh also, I'm not stuck on brand, if there are lesser known PDA's that will do the same that would be ok too!

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I use mine all the time. My wife never seems to pick up the habit. I see a lot of people buy them and never use them.

It is my opinion that most people (myself included) have to work at the habit of using the device everyday. Once a person has the habit, then the device can be come a real time saver. In fact, I am lost without the Palm now, however, I had to form the habit of using it daily before I really saw any usefulness out of it.

One suggestion for getting into the habit is to buy a body glove case for the palm that also doubles as a wallet. The Palm becomes part of the wallet and you tend to keep it with you.

If you need advice/links about Palm devices, drop me an email.

-JmE-
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone use one of these? I've been looking at them a little but need some advice.

I just want to keep lists of my contacts, and possibly some dates, real basic use. Of course it is going to be like anything, buy the biggest you can afford I'm sure.

Are they really usefull, or do you find yourself not using it as much as you thought?

Any suggestions on a model, and a good source or source for price comparison would be appreciated too if you know of any
View Quote

I bought a Palm V last year and I use it more than I thought I would. The reason I picked the V-model instead of the cheaper Palm III was that I liked the rechargeable internal battery over the standard AAA-powered versions. No more fear of running out of power. It also has a metal shell instead of plain plastic.
I'm currently thinking of getting a [b]Palm Vx[/b]. The Vx has 8mb of memory as opposed to 2mb for the standard V.

So my advise is - get a Palm Vx.

You can find new ones on eBay but you can also compare prices at [url]www.mysimon.com[/url].
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Handspring VISOR got my money.  One platform with lots of upgrades and add-ons.  Cameras, wireless modems, MP3's, GPS and lots more.  I use it more than I anticipated, too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want basic, simple and compact get the Palm V.  If you want versatility and expansion get the Handspring.  Remember also to synchonize frequently.  If your Palm takes a dive everything is lost.  Synchronization is kinda like backup.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Virtually any web page can be viewed on your PDA by using [url]www.avantgo.com[/url] to synch it to the PDA.
View Quote

I just want to add one thing to Troy's posting - if you're going to use Avantgo (a feature I have on my Palm V) I would suggest that you get a PDA with more than 2mb of memory. Avantgo takes up 651K in my Palm, and that's a sizeable bite out of the 2MB total.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been looking around for about two months and still haven't made any decisions.  Palm is simple, but others have more toys/add-ons.  Palm is more known, but in the computer world that means nothing.

I was considering a Palm VIIx, but they're discontinuing it...  If they keep the online services going, perhaps I'll still buy one.  

But, then I also worry about upgradability.

Just as confused as you,

Mike
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Palm IIIe user. I am an attorney, and I use it for assignments, appointments, and contact lists.
I am a business lawyer, and I only do a little litigation. It is perfect for me with the program known as pocket mirror. This mirrors outlook, which I use on my work computer. I am able to use the outlook task function for my work and appointments.
The M1XX would be a good modern version.
Some people also use a basic visor handspring.

The litigation guys use the fancy wireless palms with lots of memory for their litigation specific task and calendar programs, and to check email on the road. One also has a GPS for driving.

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Palm V or Vx.

Anyone of the Palms with a rechargable battery. Trust me. I had a Palm III for awhile, I got really tired of buying batteries.

If you have extra $$$ and really want a Palm look at the color Palm's M505. It really looks cool. But there are rumors about the future of Palm. I don't know what to believe.

Now if you really have extra $$$$$$, you might want to look at the Compaq Ipac's Handheld. I was given a tour of Compaq in Texas and got to look at Ipac's and the stuff they are developing for them. WOW. I really [b]really hate Compaq[/b], but for once I have to give them credit, they have one cool product.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Palm IIIc.  I use it all the time and wonder how I ever got along without it.  I mainly use it for the calendar and the Address Section.

I chose the IIIc because it had the memory size of the other units (8MB), rechargeable battery, and a color screen.  The color screen makes a BIG difference.  Much easier to see and use.  I would definetely get one with a color display.  You won't be disappointed!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top