Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2001 9:26:49 AM EDT
I used to love going to gun shows when I was younger(Im a ripe old 25 now!).  I always thought I was getting good deals and just seemed fun to shop around.  Its not so fun anymore.  For the last 4 years Ive been checking all possible purchases for anything from ammo to arms on the net and realize its, for the most part anyway, much cheaper than shows.  I think Im a bit spoiled now that I know how much the dealers pay for things.
At the show I was at this weekend(greengate PA)I saw usgi mags going on average for 25 each in pretty beat up shape.  Some as high as 40!  I would ask why and got the usual response...cant get anymore, used by seals etc.  Almost makes me made because some less educated on the topic fall for these lines that are blatant lies.  I saw a bunch of illegal arms as well.  One dealer was selling stg58 kits built on hesse recievers with no US parts and flash hider still on.  I was told they were "pre ban".  Another guy  was selling sar1s with folding stocks.  I still picked up a few thousand rounds of ammo that was cheap at 70 bucks out the door for wolf to feed my ak but not much was found decent for .223/5.56.  
There was one dealer who had good products priced to sell and was doing pretty well.  He had usgi 30s for 13 each and I picked out 2 labells that looked to be new.  
I think just the attitude of some of the dealers is what threw me off.  I was talking to one guy who was trying to sell a ar180.  I told him how armalite just came out with a new version that was a bit differnt that I was thinking of getting.  He told me I didnt know what I was talking about and accused me of trying to ruin a sale for him.  No one was even around his table and I was just having a conversation with him, very politly I might add.  I still don't know why he got pissed(this turned out to be the guy selling sar1s with folding stocks).  
I found no bulk primers or components for sale other than lead cast.  I was really hoping to pick up reloading stock to save on shipping but its cheaper to just order the stuff.  Well thats about the end of my unorganized rant.
Linebacker out
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Gunshows around here, York, PA, have become boring as well.  Same stuff, same dealers, same BS prices.  If I wanted to pay retail I'd go to my local dealer, not some yahoo from God know's where.

Sometimes you can find a deal, or if you're looking for something out of the ordinary, but if you're looking for a new factory weapon, go to your local dealer.

The only decent shows in this area are the big 1000 table shows at the Farm Show Complex.  At the recent York show, I was looking for a FAL receiver or AR receiver.  I saw *one* receiver that looked pretty rough advertised as new, with a price that indicated the seller thought it was in the same league as a Colt.

And don't even get me started on the vendors with the Beanie Babies and kiddie toys...
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#2]
There are tons of great deals. For example, I saw a case of Wolf .223 (1000 rounds) for only $160 and you save on shipping. Wow!!! It is much better than paying $95 per 1000 rounds from just about every other place on earth.

Don't forget to ask for their "show price" as these are only about $75 - $200 more than any other place.

On the weekends I can not make it to the show, I stay at home and flush $10 bills down the toilet.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Gunshows have something for everyone, you can go look at over priced weapons, ammo, and knives and your wife can look at beef jerky & jewelry peddlers. Besides where else can you go and see someone selling AR-15s and beanie babies at the same time!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I love gunshows for the atmosphere. Yes some of the salesmen are just that, salesmen. They don't want to be your friend they just want your money. Thats not a bad thing, just ignore them. I have never bough anything just because the salesmen says its good. If the buyer hasen't done their homework than that might teach them an important lesson. I for one can't wait for another gun show. Just being near all of those guns makes me happy. Take the good with the bad, if you find a good deal buy it, if you don't then don't. You have to admit the bumper stickers are funny (I love cats, their delicous), and the beanie babies make great targets.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
hey linebacker, i hear what you're sayin! the last four years (at least in the North East) have really gone down the toilet as far as shows. i'm sick of the same old, crotchety guys trying to rip off anyone, by lying, telling f**ked-up BS stories about they were SEALs and they know better than anyone...i swear, i didn't know that there were so many SEALs! at least 20,000 in the North-East alone!!! $50.00 Colt mags, illigal guns, the fantasy sword tables, the guys who sell "complete" paratrooper first aid kits, but won't let you look in them, brand-new ammo that turns out to be re-loads, i've had enough.

BUT, i keep paying my $7.00 to get in, i keep going because i believe that the institution of gun-shows should exist, even if they're getting really cheesy and bad - not ALL vendors are over-priced know-it-alls! BTW, i almost never buy anything anymore, the web or locals seem to be the best bet for my needs.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Not fun?  I started going to gun shows this year, and I've been to 8, so far.  I had fun at the one I went to last weekend in Georgia.  It wasn't a big show, and the prices sucked, but I saw three different LEO's looking at products at the show!  I actually saw a LEO buy a Spyderco knife!  All of the LEO's I've dealt with over the past few years in SC (lot's, the company I work with hires a lot of them that end-up fired for DV charges),  have been not only anti-gun, but very anti-knife.  I've had more than one (former) LEO try to take my Spyderco Card (about as non-scary of a knife as you can get).  At this show in Georgia, I saw a LEO buy a nice knife!  All of the other shows I've been to were in SC.  At none of those did I see a LEO looking around.  Instead, they were at the door harassing and discouraging customers from entering.

linebacker, I saw something worse than $25 AR mags.  I saw $35 AK mags and $400 SKS's there!  That was unbelievable.  And worse, I saw someone buy them.  I wish I had some hand-outs or bumper stickers with ar15.com or ak-47.gunsnet.net to hand-out.  They could use some info.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn, and I was all pumped up about the gun show in Birmingham this weekend!! I think I will still go and look for hard to find good deals.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#8]
About the only shows I go to any more are those run by Matt Eastman in the Atlanta area, but when I do go, it's for parts and accessories that the local dealers don't carry, and I always check the prices for what I'm after on the internet so I've got a comparison.  The only "gun" I've bought at a show lately was a Rock River reciever. Paid the list RR price of $140, the dealer "forgot" to add sales tax, and I got to pick the one I liked best. Sure, I could have ordered one of the cut price RRs from Gunsmoke, paid the dealer's add on of $15, and sales tax on the whole thing, and I think I would have saved about $5.

Moral of the story is to know what you're after, know what you consider to be a fair price, and ignore the rip off artists.  If it's a big enough show you'll find the honest guys there too.[8D]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#9]
We used to have a huge show here in Pamona, you could fine some good deals there. The LA County Board of Supervisors squashed that. Now it is hard to beat the internet deals. Now the only reason I go is to buy reloads and components. Sometimes you still find a deal.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#10]
i use gun shows to look at thing i see in catalogs or to handle firearms i might order later in the year this is just so i can get a feel of something before i mail order it..other than that iI dont buy guns at gun shows ironic isnt it
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#11]
McCain won't kill gun shows, we will. I haven't been to one for three months.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#12]
[b]Linebacker[/b], I'm with you.

I'm 22 years old and have been going to shows since about 14.  They've gone down in quality.

No beanies around here, nor do we have beef jerkey.  However...

1.  We lost our book guy.  He used to take up 4 tables with manuals, books, pamphlets, videos, etc.  ANYTHING you could want to know about ANY gun...  I guess he wasn't selling enough.

2.  Never any prebans, and when you do find them they're illegal or overpriced.  (Two weeks ago I found a $1,900.00 preban Bushmaster 11.5"/5.5" carbine!)

3.  Same old dealers with the same old shit.

4.  Magazines are out of line; $30.00+ for used USGI AR mags.

I'm really getting frustrated.  But, at least admission is still $5.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I still like fun shows. If it weren't for them, I would have no incentive to walk more than 30 feet before having to rest. The best deals are from the people selling off their stuff and they are always willing to cut deals.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Bitch bitch moan moan.  Try coming to a gunshow here in KA and see what you can buy.  A dozen different beef jerky and beanie baby vendors or how about an SW5 with it's pistol grip hacked off for $2500??  No hi-caps mags, no cool rifles nuthin  [>Q]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I went to a gun show around here a few years ago and I have never ben to one since. They had PreBan everything there. Pre-ban Tele-stocks, Preban flash Surpressors, PreBan bayonets. They had used Preban bushmaster upper for around $800. I asked why was it so expensive. He said they were Preban and when they were gone they were gone forever. And dont forget to pick up some Pre-ban Garand clips for $8 a piece.

Six
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I admit that there are some good deals to be had and still good people to deal with.  I have no problem paying a markup as long as I get service for it.  I know these guys have to make a living and I try and support them in it.  Its when I get flat out lied to that pisses me off.  My buddy gave me a 3x9 power scope that he wasnt using any more so I needed to pick up a mount and some rings for my AR.  I stopped at a set of tables full of ar uppers and accessories.  The woman at the counter was very friendly and showed me both a colt marked mount and a generic mount.  I studied it as best I could and coulnt find a differnce other than the price so I bought the generic.  I then asked the lady about picking up the rings I needed.  She said that she had rings that would fit but to be honest they where not that good Quality and would probably not hold that great.  She then pointed out several other tables that had better mounts than hers for about the same price.  That I greatly appreciated so I bought a few other odds and ends (cleaning stuff) that I didnt plan to get there because it was a bit cheaper elsewhere at the show.  
I used to drive my Dad crazy demanding he take me to the shows when I still lived in NY every time they came to Syracuse.  I was wide eyed and bushy tailed to see the assualt rifles I pined for.  And yes I loved to handle them even if I couldnt buy them yet.  AHHHH innocents  lost....

The net has spoiled me because I can see all the lastest products first and find out the best bottom line deal along with product reviews from guys with first hand experience who are not trying to sell me anything.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I always find gunshows boring and depressing - unless I have money to spend.  Then I have a great time!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Great place to hang out with friends,drink beer and eat beef jerky.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#20]
There are very few guns at a PRK gun show anymore.  Around here, they sell beef jerky, knives, coins, and beanie babies.  The Big Reno was pretty good though.  Too bad I cant't buy any of the cool guns.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
On the weekends I can not make it to the show, I stay at home and flush $10 bills down the toilet.
View Quote

LOL!

Living in California, gunshows are pretty pathetic. But I still go, very entertaining. And there are still some deals out there.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I hear you, stopped going to gunshows a while ago. I'm sure its frustrating for the small time  
dealers to have to compete with the "new" internet market.I just look, and if I know of a better deal I keep it to myself and buy it later.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#23]
  I have to agree.  In general most of the gun shows around (Washington) have really overpriced items.  The last gun show was no exception. It was the NRA National Gun Show in Puyallup and it was HUGE.  I didn't buy anything but it was worth going to see all the firearms.  A large number of classic guns were displayed and it was like going to a firearm museum. A few military vehicles were available to look as well.  There were about 40 MMM and gun grabbing assholes protesting outside.  I was surprised that of all the progun people that went to the show, only 20-30 were countering the protest.  That, in my opinion, is why gun control groups are so effective; those that have guns didn't give a shit what the commie mommies were doing when they do pose a real threat to gun rights.
   Anyway going back to how gun shows are lame nowadays, there were a lot of prebans (some highly questionable) for sale but really overpriced.  The only reason I would even consider paying a higher price is if it were a person-to-person sale.  Gun show loophole my ass! About 95% of all the members selling guns were FFLs.  One would be better of buying an AR and the like over the Internet for a cheaper price if paperwork and tax is involved.
  The only real deals I’ve seen are on ammo and small parts where you save on the price of shipping.  Gun shows are a positive institution in my mind though.  They allow one to personally inspect an item up close before buying elsewhere (i.e. internet) for a cheaper price.  It shows what firearms will last over time due to the fact that most guns are used at these shows. I am sure there are other reasons that slip my mind at the moment, but in general they allow you to see the guns you love up close.
  I would further say that they are one of the last events that allow the mass of gun owners and admirers to get together in an environment that unites them.  I learned a lot about firearms the hard way at gun shows ala rip-off artists and I am almost always depressed that I cannot afford any of the cool guns for sale. Still I will go to as many as I can with the hope of running into that deal of a lifetime that I know is somewhere out there.  Well, that is enough of a rant for today on my part.
 ---Hans
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#24]
I think they need to put in a few beer booths at gun shows, just to make things more interesting.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 1:15:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 2:21:26 AM EDT
[#26]
I used to like Gunshows also... but it seems the last 4 or 5 times I went, I just didn't have any fun at all. It seems nowdays they are just more interested in selling overpriced crap, and in some cases, trying to pass off illegal stuff (post ban rifles in pre-ban configs) to the unsuspecting buyer. It has become kind of rotten, but I'm not surprised. Almost every dealer I see at the shows nowdays are some shady individuals, except the well known & reputable ones, that have been around awhile. However, how is a new-comer supposed to know who from what? I think some of these shady guys kind of turn-off the new gun buyer to the hobby because of thier ill-dealings.

Link Posted: 7/17/2001 4:20:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I go just to have something to do - every now and then I find a decent deal on accessories but prices on ammo and guns really sucks - I can go to the local gunstore and buy guns cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 4:32:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Best deals at shows are walking the floor.

Example?

Me 16 years old, had drivers license for a whopping 2 days, taking my first legal solo trip with moms car.
Had $200.00 to blow.
Went to the show (Heh. Rhymes [:)])
ALL I WANTED IN THIS WORLD was a Glock of some sort... But didn't have the $$$ to buy one.

This was in the day b4 school shootings really, so dealers never really gave you too much hell about buying a gun if you were a bit young (I pretty much looked 20 though)

So I took my $200.00 and bought a Manhurin PPK from this dude walking the floor...
I traded the PPK for 2 SKS's from a table dealer.. (Remember the days of the dirt cheap SKS's?)- THen, on my way out to the parking lot, I sold the SKS's to two guys for $150.00 a pop (A $50.00 profit on each gun)- I then took my $300.00 BACK IN to the show, and bought an old Steyr 1912 Pistol from this dude walking the floor for the $300.00-(Before SARCO imported a buttload of them, and the price dropped)- Killer deal on that gun at the time...

I then traded the Steyr to this C&R dude who had a table for a sorta worn USGI 1911--
I then traded the 1911 to the same dude I bought the SKS's from for a slightly used Glock 17,
and lived happily ever after.

Huh. Can't find shows like that anymore [:(]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:06:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Geez this thread is depressing! I still see lots of good deals at the local Richmond gunshow. Used revolvers are always cheap, and I can get bullets, powder and primers much cheaper than I can through the internet (after shipping). Same goes for ammo. Sure, I can buy a case of Wolf online for $69, but tack on shipping for the 44lb weight to my area and [b]poof![/b] it's $90- $5 more than what I pay at the show. Last gun I bought at a show was a Glock 30, which I paid $489+tax for new. I don't think that was a bad deal either.
Now if you want to talk about really bad prices, let's talk about gun shops......
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#30]
We have one maybe two shows per year. Small and not much new or nearly new stuff anymore. I talked with the guy who runs this show and offered to put on a couple of survival demos/classes for free. I also talked about setting up an airgun course "for the kids". We'll see if he follows through. The place they hold them is badly lit and drab. If any of you have skills to offer, you might volunteer to do it free your first time around. It could be topics on hunting, military arms, any outdoor skills, history (of arms, military, with examples). Sometimes these shows do drag on for years slowly getting stale. This is when some "new blood" is needed to kickstart some life into them. You don't have to commit the rest of your life to it. See what you can do, it might bring something good your way too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top