Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2001 9:41:44 PM EDT
Has anyone had any experience with a DOE gun, or a 9mm DOE upper?  

I'm thinking about a 9mm Colt as my next AR, and I plan to SBR it.  I was thinking about getting a DOE 7" upper instead of the 10.5".  

Problem is, I can't seem to find anyone who sells them anymore.  I've seen a couple at gun shows a LONG time ago, and I remember the prices were about $1000.  Anyone know of someone who might have one for sale, or who could get ahold of one?

Also if anyone knows what the price ranges are on these uppers.    

I'm new to the 9mm Colt, so any assistance would be appreciated.  I will dedicate a preban lower to the project, but is it better to get a 9mm lower, or there good mag kits available that DON'T necessitate drilling the mag well?  Also what mags are available for what prices, and what mags can be modified for use in the AR?

In case you've never seen one, here's a pic.
[img]http://www.policeguns.com/mgimg/2%20Colt%20DOE%20smg's.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 9:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Dennis Todd in Pennsylvania was selling them at the last fun show I saw him at.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Dennis Todd in Pennsylvania was selling them at the last fun show I saw him at.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll drop him an email.  Do you happen to know how much he was asking???

Duffypoo, you've got mail...
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Forgive my ignorance, but does the bolt hold open work with the 9mm kits?

I ran across a one-piece colt adaptor from J&T dist. for $150.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:39:30 AM EDT
[#6]
HKocher,

I use a Cross-Fire mag-block and bolt-hold-open DOES work.

Colt Suppressed 9MM SMG:
- EA-Wilson RR lower with Cross-Fire mag-block
- Gemtech Talon-SD suppressed 9MM upper
- Trijicon Reflex II
- Knights RIS/sling-swivel adapter/vertical pistol-grip
- Hogue grip
- 6-position M4 CAR stock
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/pebb0f3765006710bda3e085ab5e212ba/fe59fc0e.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
HKocher,

I use a Cross-Fire mag-block and bolt-hold-open DOES work.

Colt Suppressed 9MM SMG:
- EA-Wilson RR lower with Cross-Fire mag-block
- Gemtech Talon-SD suppressed 9MM upper
- Trijicon Reflex II
- Knights RIS/sling-swivel adapter/vertical pistol-grip
- Hogue grip
- 6-position M4 CAR stock
View Quote

That's a beauty drfcolt.

I'm a bit afraid of how much that would cost me though, not to mention the dual tax stamps!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#8]
HKocher, If you dont have to have the same handguards you can have one built from parts for less than $1000.

Duffypoo, the Colt style 9mm's dont work if your hammer has the notch cutout on top.  The notch catches on the bolt.  You dont have to get a 9mm hammer, just one without the notch cutout.  That way you can switch your uppers back and forth easier.

Link Posted: 7/21/2001 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#9]
One of these for sale in KC at gun show right now!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#11]
This may be a bit off topic, but what exactly does the Department of Energy use those for?

Jk
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This may be a bit off topic, but what exactly does the Department of Energy use those for?

Jk
View Quote

security around the nucleor power plants?
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Jk
View Quote

I believe they were meant for transportation of nuclear materials.  Hence the small size, for easy deployment and storage from a vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I take it HKocher still hasn't got my three emails [>:/]
View Quote

Thanks!  Got it today at my AR15.com address.  I don't know why my AOL didn't work.  I'll get back to you later on that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I can tell you why they use the 9mm guns.
Can you imagine what would happen if a gunfight took place around a Nuclear Power Plant? The DOE has some of the best Swat teams in the USA. They guard nuclear material at plants and during tranport and storage.
Would you want to be shooting a .223 around that kind of stuff. If a stray round was to penetrate some of the storage containers or hit something containing radioactive material you would have a hell of a mess to clean up.
I am not pulling this info out of thin air. I know a couple of instuctors at the DOE's CTA site.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Does any company make a 9mm upper that is flattop? I seen sten mag conversions for the Olympic arms version so I'm pretty interested.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does any company make a 9mm upper that is flattop? I seen sten mag conversions for the Olympic arms version so I'm pretty interested.
View Quote

I don't think Colt or BM does, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find one.  I've know I've seen some at gunshows, probably smaller manufacturers or homemade.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Scarecrow-Oly makes 9mm flattop uppers. They are a no cost option on the A2s.

On the note of why the DOE has these, I guess I never figured they'd be defending powerplants, I always thought the nuclear plants, at least around here, were privately owned by CE.

Jk
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
On the note of why the DOE has these, I guess I never figured they'd be defending powerplants, I always thought the nuclear plants, at least around here, were privately owned by CE.

Jk
View Quote

I think nuclear energy plants may have their own private security.  My understanding is that DOE would take care of govt. facilities such as plants for the manufacture of weapons grade materials.  They also handle transportation of that stuff, hence the need for a small subgun.

And I have seen at least one article about nuclear security in which they were using .223 ARs, both indoors and for perimeter defense.  Of course that's just an article.  I'm not an expert on nuclear power plants, but I don't imagine they have 55 gal. drums of nuclear material lying around, or pipelines of nuclear goo flowing throughout the plant (like in the 'Simpsons'), so I think the danger is minimal.  However, I'm sure the guys are trained not to shoot at anything that wouldn't react kindly to bullets...
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't think I'd want to shooting ANYTHING around a light container of that stuff.  As far as the heavy transport containers is concerned, they're designed to take the impact of being hit by a train.  I used to work for a class 1 railroad and the crews used to ask, "What would happen if we smacked one of these puppies at a crossing?"  The energy of a .223 is like a spitball compared to a consist traveling at 80 MPH.

Of course, I'm just an armchar critic...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top