Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2001 9:43:17 PM EDT
Maybe this is for the ammo forum, but I'm picking up my NIB Mossberg 590A1 on Tuesday, and not being a shotgun expert, I'm not sure what ammo is best suited to home defense.

Perhaps #4 buck? I heard it's preferable to #00 for the home. How about rifled slugs? Please advise me on ammo, shot size, loads, etc. Thanks!

Matt
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks oneshot. Actually, this is the first shotgun I've purchased in 21 years. I bought my first, and only shotgun, when I was 18 in 1980 for something like $39, which I thought was high. I still have it. It's a single shot, full-choke 12 gauge made in Brazil. After using it for a couple months, I put it away because every so often the breech would open when fired. Never had any problems, it would just open automatically after firing. And it beat my shoulder to hell. POS. :)
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Mattja, My 590a1 stays loaded with Federal 00 buck Tactical load(low recoli)
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Conventional wisdom says to avoid rifled slugs for home defense--way too much potential for overpenetration. Buck is better; the reduced-recoil 00 (nine pellets in a 2 3/4-inch shell) seems to be easy to shoot/control, but I'd still be leery of overpenetration. Buy some boxes of both the 00 and #4, shoot 'em and see what you prefer. [shotgun]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SILVER SURFER:
Mattja, My 590a1 stays loaded with Federal 00 buck Tactical load(low recoli)
View Quote

Mine too!  Good choice. [:D]

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[B][BLUE]NRA Life Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.nra.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]GOA Life Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.gunowners.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]SAF Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.saf.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]SAS Supporter[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.sas-aim.org[/URL]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#7]
im sorry but i defy common wisdowm and load my win 1300 with just standard birdshot cant recall the # off hand more pellets less recoil, cheaper to practice with and wont blwo a gapping hole in my wall and hit a inncent on the other side
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 12:13:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
im sorry but i defy common wisdowm and load my win 1300 with just standard birdshot cant recall the # off hand more pellets less recoil, cheaper to practice with and wont blwo a gapping hole in my wall and hit a inncent on the other side
View Quote

Actually, I do the same for the first 2 shells.  Then it's tactical buck shot for the rest.  I figure that if the first 2 shell don't turn them around, the last ones will stop them in their tracks.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[B][BLUE]NRA Life Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.nra.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]GOA Life Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.gunowners.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]SAF Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.saf.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]SAS Supporter[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.sas-aim.org[/URL]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 5:42:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I agree with silver surfer on the load. You dont need to worry about major distances unless you live in a 10,000 sq ft house with 100 yard rooms...hehehe the 2 3/4 tactical loads on OObuck is a good load in my opinion.
View Quote
                                         Try some #4 high brass (birdshot) for anti-prsonell.........pretty devestating.....[shotgun]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 5:51:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gaping hole?  The only way to blow a gaping hole in the wall is if you get some of those special Hollywood rounds that can also drop four or five bad guys with a single shot.

Birdshot is fine so long as you don't attacked by somebody wearing thick clothing.  People living in colder climes should load something heavier during the winter, but at inside-the-bedroom ranges birdshot will get the job done.

The top round in my 590is birdshot, but if that doesn't stop them everything else in the magazine is Federal Tactical 00B.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 6:13:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually....i keep 00 handy.....i have kept the #4 around when the 00 wasn`t......i figure that if i have to fire the gun in defense....holes in the house walls is the LEAST of my concerns!!!!!!!!!!!!!![smoke]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#12]
mattja:

Regardless of what 'defense' ammo you decide to load it with. You may want to spend an afternoon or two shooting some clays and burning up $50.00 worth CHEAP ammo to break the action in and get a bit smoother.

FWIW
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys. I think I'll try some of that Federal Tactical from Ammoman in #4 and #00 and see what happens.

What would one normally use rifled slug for? Is it more for hunting or LEO applications?
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#14]
slugs iz for hunting and rifle like target shooting
buy up a few different boxs of ammo and see what you like best
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Hello, I've got a 590A1 and based on this artilcle (http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm) I keep it loaded with #1 buckshot (16 .30 caliber pellets).  The Remington 1 buckshot gives a nice, evenly 6-8 in. spread at 10-15 foot range.  I think its about 1100 fps.  I tried some Federal low-recoil, hi-energy 00buck but the recoil was about the same to me as the remington 1 buck.

From firearmstactical (URL above):

"Summary
With the right load, a shotgun can be very effective in quickly stopping the deadly violence being perpetrated by a criminal who's invaded your home.

If you're worried that a missed shot might penetrate through a wall and harm others, load your shotgun so that the first one or two cartridges to be fired is number 6 or smaller birdshot, followed by standard lead #1 buckshot (12 gauge) or #3 buckshot (20 gauge). If your first shot misses, the birdshot is less likely to endanger innocent lives outside the room. If your first shot fails to stop the attacker, you can immediately follow-up with more potent ammunition.

With birdshot you are wise to keep in mind that your gunfire has the potential to NOT PRODUCE an effective wound. Do not expect birdshot to have any decisive effect.

Number 1 buckshot has the potential to produce more effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck, without the accompanying risk of over-penetration. The IWBA believes, with very good reason, that number 1 buckshot is the shotshell load of choice for quickly stopping deadly criminal violence."

The article is considerably longer and is v informative.

BTW cheaperthandirt has pretty good prices on the Remington 1 buckshot.  I also compared the patterns from federal 1 buckshot (as reccomended in the article) to that of the remington & preferred the Remington!

Good luck - Dave

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Check this out [url]http://www.aimdiscount.com/sidewinder.html[/url]
[img]http://www.aimdiscount.com/sidewinder.jpg[/img]
If its reliable, make your work a whole lot easier.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I would go with #4 bird shot and some 00 buck close at hand.

Six
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
interesting drum mag, but only ten rounds? would be useful in quick reload though...
View Quote

It is still subject to the 94' Crime Bill. Cant have more than 10 rounds.  It is interesting-if it works.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#21]
This what I keep handy.  

[blue]FEDERAL TACTICAL 000 BUCKSHOT
LAW ENFORCEMENT
HIGH ENERGY-LOW RECOIL
AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC
( 8-PELLETS ) NRA RATED #1 MAN STOPPER
FREE SHIPPING
Part Number #12GA-0050, 0060[/blue]

And this is where it came from.

[url]http://www.ammoman.com/webstore_12GA.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I ordered the same from Ammoman, but went with the #00 buck instead. Can't wait to try it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I use the Federal Tactical 000 Buckshot as well (although I do keep slugs in the side-sattle). Damn, now I have to save more money for that folding stock - it looks tight!

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Never had my shotgun out for home defense. Got a .270 win. filled up with low grain ballistic tips beside my bed though. Guess if I can't stop him with a hunting rifle and a 15 round beretta I lived in the wrong ^$*^%# neighborhood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top