Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 7/13/2001 7:46:10 PM EDT
How many guys here buy different brands of AR's? I only have one Bushmaster so far. It works well and I was thinking about getting a different one. Do you generally stay with what works, or do you buy different brands?
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:04:18 PM EDT
Two Colts, one Bushmaster. Had a DPMS upper, shot great. Just didn't think I needed two 13lb. AR15s. The DPMS upper was a 20" Panther Bull (very heavy bull barrel) and one of my Colts is a factory 24" 13lb. Accurized Rifle. Traded the DPMS upper for a 20" HBAR BM and popped it on the BM lower. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Colt or BM or even another DPMS for that matter. May as well throw in Armalite in there too. All quality hardware.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:04:35 PM EDT
I will continue to support Bushmaster. Although, I would consider buying the LEGP when fiscally feasible.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:04:45 PM EDT
I only have experience with the Colt and the Bushmaster from personal ownership and I like them both equally. I believe the M-16A2's I used in the Marine Corps had FN upper receivers and Colt lowers (but I cant remember for sure). Those guns always ran and we abused the hell out of them. For the price though, I think I will stay with Bushmaster for personal ownership.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:08:28 PM EDT
I bought a Colt in '79. Stupid @ss sold it 5 yrs later. Bought a Colt again in '90. Sporter Match HBAR Only two I've ever had.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:43:33 PM EDT
Bushmaster all the way man.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:59:22 PM EDT
I have had Colts in the past but prefer BM at this time.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 9:34:16 PM EDT
DPMS all the way. Mine was not heavy enough. Have had made a custom butt stock (like TUBB200) all from SS 304 and now it feels good at 28 lbs.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 9:49:01 PM EDT
I swear by DPMS.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 9:56:16 PM EDT
had a bushmaster bout in 99 (should have never traded it)also have a colt sp1 i liked em both. i 2 will also be buying a LEGP when i get the $$$$
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:16:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/13/2001 10:15:24 PM EDT by Garryowen]
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 4:42:50 PM EDT
Had a Bushmaster A2 14.5" carbine with the heavy barrel, sold it and then waited for my Bushmaster M4A3 14.5" carbine. Only AR15 type rifles that i have owned. The earlier one only had 1 malfunction, jam actually since it stopped one stage in a 3 gun match, the case was stuck in the chamber. And with this current one, 0 malfunctions.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 5:02:57 PM EDT
I have two Colt H Bars and one 9mm Carbine. All are preban. I have had nothing but good luck with all of them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 5:11:16 PM EDT
I owned a Colt post-ban. Then I bought an Armalite. Then I sold the Colt. Then I bought another Armalite. Bushy ain't a bad choice.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 5:12:35 PM EDT
My M-4gery is a Bushmaster lower, with a Colt M-4 Flattop upper, Colt Coll. Stock, Bushmaster M-4 barrel with Vortex FS, BM bolt carrier assy. Colt charging handle. My A2 is a Colt lower, Colt A2 barrel, all Colt furniture, FN A2 upper, and BM bolt carrier assy. Both function perfectly. As long as you use quality parts, and have someone who knows how to put them together properly, no problem. I am lucky enough to have been able to go to Colt's armorers school last year. I do not like Hesse, QC sucks. I do not like "Wilson" barrels. They are not chrome lined, or even chromed chambers, so are unreliable. I do not like the cast uppers or lowers, forged only. So some Oly's and DPMS are out. Front sight assy. must be a forging, not cast.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 5:46:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 6:07:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/15/2001 6:05:16 PM EDT by OpenFire]
1)Two Colt Pre-bans 2)One Eagle Arms Pre-ban 3)One Palmetto Pre-ban 4)One Rock River Post ban (LEGP) I like diversity and hope next years LEGP is a DPMS or Bushmaster or Cavalry Arms, but I think Rock River is a shoe in. It's all good. [beer]
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 6:15:12 PM EDT
Bushmaster, Colt, Stoner, Cavalry Arms, and Rock River Arms. And an Oly pistol upper. I'm an equal opportunity employer.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 6:23:08 PM EDT
I have two Bushmasters, 1 Colt, and 1 Hesse - which I built up from parts. The Bushmasters and Colt have never given me a bit of trouble. The Colt does have a sloppy stamping job, but it's only cosmetics. The Hesse has also worked well, though the front takedown pin's locking spring got stuck when I first installed it. I can't get it out and consequently the takedown pin doesn't lock into place. My fault since I didn't clean it our before installation. The Hesse looks pretty cheap though, it's thier finish - crappy. As to loyalty - if I were to buy another tomarrow, I'd get an LEGP. Rock River Arms has favorably impressed me and I'm willing to take a risk to find good stuff. (Hey, I bought a Hesse!) Otherwise I'd buy Bushmaster in a heatbeat. Colt if I could find a really good price. I won't pay for the name. And Hesse - not until they change thier finish and improve some quality control!
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 7:18:16 PM EDT
My first AR-15 was a Bushmaster. I still have it. then I built (3) AR's on Oly lowers, but used BM uppers. The other factory built AR that I bought is a AR-10. I prefer to build my rifles. Half the fun is collecting just the right parts and putting them together with care. OSA
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 7:55:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 9:52:25 PM EDT
1 Colt Post-ban 1 E.A. Pre-ban 2 PWA post-bans conseutive serial#s Also Have to say Wilsonn is not kidding about not knowing how many he has. I have seen 1 of his safes and it was packed with ARs. And Wilson when you are ready to get a Calvlry Arms let me know I still am itching to get one also. SCAR
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:26:59 AM EDT
Have a Colt preban Sporter carbine, and a recently built up heavy barrel on a Rock River lower, A "no name" upper (I suspect it's an Oly) and a very early Bushmaster 20" barrel w/ a 1/9 twist. It works fine, even tho the Bushie barrel came w/one front sight wing paper thin, and the other one very thick, and Bushmaster refused to do anything about it. This was 9 or 10 yrs ago, and I don't know what their policy would be now. I'm very impressed w/ Rock River's product and service. Needless to say, after their attitude about the front sight base on their barrel, I'll never spend another penney w/BM. Now I know that a lot of you guys own, and are very happy with, Bushmaster products; and I have absolutely no desire to start a flame war here, but along with you happy owners, I've seen a number of notes from people who have had problems w/Bushies, and have not been thrilled with the company's responses to their problems. Everyone who manufactures anything is bound to let some out the door that shouldn't have gone out, but to me the test comes when you've got a problem, how they react. Some of the notes I've seen indicate that Bushmaster's customer service is still what it was when I bought my barrel---lousy. As I said earlier, I have no wish to start a pissing match with anyone, but I'd sure as hell want to really look closely at any Bushmaster rifle I was condidering, to make sure it was OK from the start. I know, I know! Twenty-eleven of you guys are going to post notes telling me how great BM treated you when you had a problem---but I still have to consider all the notes I've seen from those who were treated as I was.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:49:00 AM EDT
All Colt (pre-ban) 1 Wilson combat (post-ban)
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:03:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/16/2001 7:02:38 AM EDT by Waverunner]
1) Rock River Arms LEGP (my first AR ever, surely not the last)[heavy] 2) Cav Arms...Ok, so they made my lower that I picked up in the LEGP deal. Still freakin cool though. Slapped a 20" Gov't profile barrel w/A2 upper on top from Gunsmoke, very nice.[sniper] I can't comment on the owner of Cav Arms being good looking as I've never met the guy in person and I like women anyway...
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:24:01 AM EDT
Bushmaster, although my next friend will be DSA[:P]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:40:10 AM EDT
I must be suffering a deficiency....... Uncle Sam "borrowed" me at least 1 Colt and 1 Hydromatic that I remember there were more I'm not sure on the maker(s) Also got some SACO, oh wait that was an M-60. I own one, an OLY M4gery. And I like it! I might get others but was thinkin' of maybe just getting other uppers. Also have been wondering about the OLY maxhard receivers..
Top Top