Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2001 7:39:01 PM EDT
I am 19yrs old and I want to buy an aks-74 parts set from k-var the set set does not have a receiver included in the kit can I purchase this set since im not 21yrs of age.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm surprised no one has piped up some smart ass comment.  A parts kit is just that.  a parts kit.  you could be 8 years old and buy one.  it is not considered a gun and you don't even have to be 21 to own a RIFLE and I'm sure in your state you can private purchase a HANDGUN at 18.  the reciever is the only part considered a gun. I think it's cheaper to just buy a whole gun though.  Putting it together might be a tad difficult.

Edit:  Long guns = 18 handguns from a FFL = 21
Handguns from private purchase = 18. Long Guns from your parents = 14 with a hunting license. at least that's how it is in NV, which I'm sure TX has the same/better.

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#2]
At 19, your definately old enough for a complete rifle...
I'd suggest just buying one complete...

AK's are so damn cheap anymore, you could save yourself the trouble of having to put it together...

I see them in Shotgun News for $239.00 & up...
Retail in gunshops for around $329.00 & up...

You just can't beat the price vs. reliability...
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#3]
My advice is to buy the best the first time around.  Don't settle on a gun that's "cheap" go for quality and ask more questions here.  We usually answer them promptly, unless of course our ever beloved McPopular is posting, then we ignore everyone else and just read his.

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Even in the PRK you can buy a rifle at 18, as long as you don't have a criminal record.  Why bother with a parts kit, when you can get a Mosin or a Mauser at Big5 for $50.  They ain't no AK, but they still go bang.  Then save up your money and get an AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top