Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2001 2:18:42 PM EDT
combat?
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The Hague Convention of 1899 stated:
The Contracting Parties agree to abstain from the use of bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body, such as bullets with a hard envelope which does not entirely cover the core, or is pierced with incisions.
View Quote
The U.S. was not a signatory, but does abide by the policy.  Thus, hollowpoint and softpoint bullets are verboten, but frangible bullets are not.  Letter of the law, you know.  See [url]http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/lawofwar/dec99-03.htm[/url] for the whole text.  (Edited to add URL)
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it's because of the expansion of "dum-dum" bullets and the horrific wounds that they cause. Dates way back to the Geneva Convention, I believe.

I guess that they are thinking that it's much better to get hit by a FMJ high velocity round.

Edited to say " or the Hague Convention". I gotta go back to history class.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The Hague convention has a lot of other parts to it, including illegality of exploding bullets under a certain size, etc...
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Hague Convention of 1899 stated:
The Contracting Parties agree to abstain from the use of bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body, such as bullets with a hard envelope which does not entirely cover the core, or is pierced with incisions.
View Quote
The U.S. was not a signatory, but does abide by the policy.  Thus, hollowpoint and softpoint bullets are verboten
View Quote

Nope, "bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body" are verboten. Not all HPs do this. See [url]http://www.prostar.com/web/sniper/article2.html[/url]

for details.

Also, the Hague Accords only cover "international armed conflict" so most of the recent military escapades are not covered.

[edited to remove all that red text]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#6]
yep becouse back in the old days it wasnt considered human to use em for some reason it was ok to shoot em with a FMJ which would blow a hole thru u but not a hollowpoint or a SP witch would inflict more tramma putting your ass out of its misery quicker
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah! you think they care in a war?

[url]http://ak-47.gunsnet.net/vb/showthread.php?s=f29c04ecf42d379d7bbfc8125a98dc97&threadid=15204[/url]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 1:20:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Any of you know if SPECIAL OPERATIONS types obey these rules?
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 2:10:51 AM EDT
[#9]
FWIW

Very interesting reading!
He should write a book if he doesnt already??
IMHO?  He is suspect to his validity by his Russian born, well read use of composition? in english? as well as being in Arizona?
But? I'm not sayin it is not a valid recollection?
It is hard to tell, based on my intrigue of the topic.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 5:14:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I have heard countries don't really mind using FMJ because a wounded man is more of a distraction/liability to a fighting unit than a dead soldier.
There is a great scene in the book, "Thin Red Line", where two wounded screaming GI's are caught on a hill. The Japanese could finish off the wounded Americans but use them as bait to shoot their rescuers.

Also FMJ is more reliable and less leading.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Dum-dums were not banned because of the wounds they cause, they were banned because they are harder for medical personnel to treat.  You've got to consider what field medical conditions were like in WWI.  Things are bad enough as it is without the doctor having to go digging around inside trying to find little pieces of jacket that seperated.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top