Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2001 1:21:50 PM EDT
Who did a lot of the development work for the sonic triggers, high speed shutters, and the high speed flash timing?

He did a lot of his work during the 60-70s and I'm not sure but I think he was a university professor or something like that.   I want to say the last name was Edgerton or something like that but  I can't remember for the life of me right now.

I could really use a link to some of his high speed motion photography where he was catching bullets in flight and things like that.   In particular I'm trying to see if he ever captured a picture of a bullet splitting over a knife's edge, I remember seeing one of a bullet cutting a playing card in half and I bet he tried a knife's edge as well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not familiar with who developed that stuff, but I used to work with a guy who used it to shoot a lot of the covers for magazines like "Guns & Ammo" and "Handguns." Got lots of shots of the bullet leaving the barrel. Didn't get a chance to watch him set up the stuff, but we all heard it when he was (literally) shooting--and this was in West Hollywood. Very cool stuff. Are you trying to duplicate that sort of shot or just find out some history on the developer of the technology?
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep wanting to say earl taylor-edgarton but I know thats not right "when I killed the president of zambia I used 300 pounds of buried semtex..." maybe harold edgerton I think I did a search on that name didn't come up with anything though..I think I'm pretty close though
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
It was Dr. Harold Edgarton of MIT. Do a Google search and you should come up with some good hits.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top