Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2001 12:07:55 PM EDT
I was thinking of picking up one of the new Pt-145's. [url]http://www.taurususa.com/pt145.html[/url] Was wondering if anybody else has handles one yet. I am guessing it is pretty close to the 9mm and 40cal versions (PT-111 and PT-140). So I guess any feedback from someone who has one of them too would be good too. I know it's double action only, but was hoping that since it had a safety that the trigger pull would be a little easier.
I am looking for a little upgrade from my Kel Tec p-11, which has quite a trigger pull on it. Anyway any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

[uzi]- - - - - - - - - - - - -[heavy]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard of complaints with the PT-111 and PT-140. Feed problems and trigger pull.  Search either this site, or try [url]www.thefiringline.com[/url] which always has good feedback.

typo
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input. Not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but oh well. Any other opinions out there?
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Doc, I owned a PT-111 and sold it.  It was very inaccurate compared to other similar sized guns that I've shot (mainly Glocks), hard to strip down, and I absolutely hated the built in lock feature.  I put almost 400rds thru it with no reliability problems, but in the end I just didn't like the gun.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I am the not so proud owner of a PT111. Its at Taurus right now.First, the takedown lever broke. That time I just sent the lever back...they replaced free. Took two weeks for the part to arrive. Shortly after I got it back, 2 of the pins holding the parts to the frame broke. I sent it back 5 weeks ago with a nasty letter. No word yet. Never had a feed problem tho.. except with PMP ammo. Winchester always feed perfect.I put several thousand rounds thru it too.Great pistol..if it didn't fall apart(ha ha). Really I'm not laughing, dont buy one.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Bought a PT-111 for ARlady to carry.

The trigger pull is so FRIGGIN' MASSIVE she could only pull it if she jerked it.  Hard to be accurate that way.  I could only be accurate with it if I took 3-5 seconds to squeeze the trigger.  Also got it hard stuck once while disassembling it.

I sold it for a HUGE loss and was HAPPY to get rid of it!

DO NOT BUY it, especially if your looking for a lighter pull.  I would consider a Glock, that is we got ARLADY!

Edited to add, the trigger pull was so heavy, it was WAY off a gunsmiths 12 lb trigger pull scale!
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to own a PT-92 several years ago.  I HATED it for the reasons sited by "no maam" and "Matt S".  Atrocious trigger pull and horrible accuracy.  What a piece of crap..........I sold it at a loss and bought a used Ruger P91DC .40cal that I still own.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Taurus Revolvers are fine.
I've aquired 2 PT99's through trades in the couse of my travels, and all worked just fine.
Matter of fact, I built one up into a 9MM racegun.

But, yeah. Taurus Autoloaders are 3rd World when it comes to Glocks, Sigs, HK's and the $259.99 HS2000.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Dang, Matt S, ya always beat me to the punch.

i can only add that while i absolutely abhored (is there a stronger word?) the pt111, i abso-smackin'-lutely LOVE (again, is there a stronger word?) my model 85 ultralite revolver.  i just can't say enough about that little gun.  and fairly accurate in the extremely non-scientific tests of standard bad-guy engagement distances.  really accurate when you consider the lenght (or lack thereof) of the barrel:  2".

skip the taurus unless you're looking for a revolver.  go glock.  or something else anyway.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I guess I'm the one dissenting opinion.  I have a PT-111 that I bought several years ago for around $289, and have never had any problems with it whatsover.  No it does'nt have the best trigger on it, and accuracy is adequate for short range work.  All in all I've been happy with it, and I've been happy with the PT-101 that I have as well.  Do all the new Taurus pistols have that lock on them?  Neither of mine has a lock.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Taurus Sucks! I bought a NIB M85 Ultra Light Stainless. Took it to the range to qualify with USA ball ammo. I spat rounds all over the place, seized up after 3 rounds rapid fire. Sent it back to Taurus (I got stuck with the bill there) Finally after 3 calls asking that it be replaced, they returned it 3 weeks later to my dealer, with no explination. I had to call back again to find out that a. the crane was warped. b. the forcing cone had to be turned down, cylinder gap was too tight. I explained to them that this was to be a backup gun, and I would not carry one that had failed. They sent it to a review committee, no new gun, no apology. I sold the POS, lost $100 in the deal, and bought a S&W 642. I know, I know, but the 642 works.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I have seen good taurus autos and bad. The 111s I've seen are horrible. I do have a 92AF that is one of the sweetest shooting guns I have and wouldn't trade it for a beretta
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 6:45:56 AM EDT
[#13]
SAY NO to taurus.........[pistol].........(a personal opinion only)
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 7:02:35 AM EDT
[#14]
 I have never owned a Taurus Auto and I would be very reluctant to buy one .
 I have owned 2  of their magnums . They were ok .   Not great or anything just ok .
 Once I had trouble getting one one them to fully load some HOT Remington hunting rds .
 They would stick out of the cylinder
about  1/16 of an inch . They fit fine in my Smith . I sent the pistol to Taurus service dept . (air freight thanks to ups ) I sent a detailed letter explaining the problem .
I got the piece back a month later .  Was it fixed ?  Of course not . They could not see the problem .
 I had to pay to have a local smith fix it . It works now but I am not impressed with Taurus .
 I will stick with my Smith&Wesson .
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Almost every complaint we ever got was a Taurus, we stopped selling them, just too many complaints. I had a 85CH that was shaving lead, after 3 trips back, I told them to keep it and refused a new replacement 85CH. If you have one that works, great, but I'm not going to buy another one.
just my 0.02 Ron
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess I'm one of the few people that have had good luck with my PT-111.  I bought mine used about 2 years ago fo $199.

The only detractor to the pistol is the hard double action only trigger.  I'm a big guy and after several hundred rounds my finger will get tired, but at least I dont have to worry about the pistol accidently going off if I bump the trigger.  I would recommend dry firing the pistol before buying one to see if you hate the trigger.  Many people cannot live with the DAO trigger, and its probably the number one reason people sell them.  By the way, I have heard similar complaints about the Kel Tec P-11.

The pistol was built for concealed carry, and it's not a target pistol.  It's more than accurate enough for the close ranges you would expect to encounter if you were needed it in an emergency.

Mine, at least, has been %100 reliable with everything I have put through it; golden sabers, Hydra-shocks, UMC, and even hand loads (whick Taurus does not recommend).

It's small enough to fit in my pants pocket.  For a 9mm pistol that holds 11 rounds its very compact.  Its "carry alot, shoot a little" type pistol.

The PT-111 is a little tricky to reassemble after cleaning.  The first time it took me half an hour to get it back together.  Now it takes about 30 seconds.  The trick is that "the breech end of the barrel must be pushed downward when placing the slide on the frame".  Once you get the hang of it, it's a piece of cake.  By the way, the above quote is from an excellent article on the Taurus Millennium in the July 2001 American Rifleman.

I have heard of some people complain that the Mec-Gar magazines make a rattling noise even when fully loaded.  I have had no trouble with mine

GOOD
Inexpensive
Small 11 round 9mm pistol
Light
External safety
Rounded edges

BAD
Heavy double action trigger
Not target pistol accurate
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top