Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2001 10:42:37 AM EDT
I've got a brand-new flattop carry handle.
It's whole sight assembly is "rotating" to the left.Now,I've already sighted it in,and it's accurate,I can hit 300m army targets as good as with the other one that was on my rifle before.
Now...I've been thinking,get my friend to return it (he built,and ordered my rifle)
or  just keep it? functionally it's as good as any other sight.It just looks "odd" when you look at it from above.You would not notice it unless you were looking right at it.Anybody else have this "problem" ??

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#1]
It is normal for A2 rear sights to exhibit some amount of rotation. As there is a spring loaded ball bearing in the right side off the sight housing, the sight indexes off of the left edge of the carry handle.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got the same problem on my Eagle Arms A2 receiver.  I can hit what I point at so why fix it if it ain't broke!  Not sure why it does this but I assumed that the manufacturer milled too much of the handle.  Maybe someone else has a solution for this.  Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I think mine is stuck like that.It's "rotated" so it's facing towards the left,in fact,it can't rotate left anymore,that's how crooked it is.When I try to straighten it out,as soon as I let go,it goes back to the same position.It looks like it would be seriously off,but It's been zeroed a few days ago,and I was hitting the 300m silhoette (spelling?) as good as I normally do.I might just keep it,now that I know that I'm not the only one here with "special" rear-A2 sights:)
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#5]
From Armalite's website:

July 29, 1996

TECHNICAL NOTE 18: M16A2 REAR SIGHTS
BACKGROUND: Customer calls have disclosed considerable confusion over the construction of the M16A2 type sight used on ArmaLite AR-10B and M15 series rifles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FACTS:

1. The rear sight of M16A2 rifles is spring loaded in such a manner that it tends to rotate counterclockwise, as viewed from above. This biasing is caused by a ball and plunger in the left wall of the sight base, which presses against a surface of the receiver and forces the base to rotate. This is a means of taking up accumulated slack in the parts of the sight. The spring loading insures that the sight is always in the same position, even if cocked somewhat to the side. Keeping the sights consistently in the same position aids accuracy.

2. Depending on the buildup of tolerances, the cocking of the rear sight may be quite noticeable. While this may be somewhat unattractive, it is intentional, and is supportive of good accuracy. All M16A2 pattern sights display this cocking to some degree.

3. Some manufacturers produce rear sights with a ball and spring in the right sidewall of the sight base to counteract the ball and spring in the left side. This is an error: duplicating the spring on the right side neutralizes the left side spring. Removing both sets of balls and springs would have the same effect.

4. ArmaLite produces a National Match rear sight assembly which bears a rail on the front of the right sidewall of the sight base. This rail tends to reduce or eliminate the cocking of the sight base. In case of unusually tight parts, it may be necessary to reduce the rail with a file or stone.

5. ArmaLite purposely machines and assembles the rear sight aperture of its sights with the flat surface facing the eye of the shooter. The common G.I. assembly has a curved surface facing the eye of the shooter. This "poor mans hooded aperture" suffers a serious disadvantage: the spherical surface reflects light into the eye of the shooter, no matter what the incident angle of the light. The flat surface does not do so.

In summary, neither the rotated angle of the rear sight nor the flat faced aperture are defective.
View Quote

I didn't know this when I was shopping for my first AR with A2 sights, and I had never paid that close attention to the sights on my issue M16A2.

So when I was shopping for an A2 model, I thought the sights were screwed up. I went to the Armorer the next day and asked if I could look at some M16's. I looked at about 50, and all of them were "crooked", including mine. And mine shot just fine.

Now, the funny thing is, when I bought my Armalite M15A2, the sight looked perfectly staight. Go figure.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top