Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2001 12:20:03 AM EDT
Ah, yes twas the summer of 78. Was living in Canada (Regina Saskatchewan) then, and bought  an AR from a deputy sherrif and part time gun dealer named Carl, in Froid, Montana for $390.00. An SP1 (ser SP898XX). She was a beaut, and modified her throught the yrs with an A1 upper, GTLS front sight, and rear large apeture etc. But moved here to Aussie, no ARs here, as owning a gun is a dying bread here. I sure miss that AR. Ended up selling it to a RCMP Constable (Mountie). Yip, sure miss that AR. You Americans are so lucky. Fight for your rights. Never let whats happened here happen there!  All the best Lads!
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 1:15:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know how you stand it and keep your sanity! I could give up alot of things(tv/cable,vcr/dvd player,stereo,video collection, and even gasp....Ar15.com), but I don't think I'd give up my guns now, especially the AR. I don't take my 2nd amendment rights for granted, nope not anymore, learned that lesson in 94. I've lived and grown up in a country where the people have gone from being overwhelmingly supportive and proud of our constitution and history to being embarrassed or thinking the ideas and principles therein are obsolete (as if liberty could ever become obsolete). All I can say is you Aussies will have to regroup and try to generate public awareness to the positive attributes of firearms ownership. I fear you got a long and very tough way to go before you see any improvement in the gun laws overthere. We over here have it good compared to you, but it's a constant fight to keep our gun rights and heritage, and we've already and probably will again come within a hairs width of losing them all. Best of luck, maybe 10/20 years from now you guys will have made some progun progress, I'd like to say sooner, but once lost, they're tough to get back.[:(]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 1:30:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Well When I saw that price I nearly fell out of my chair, But it reminded me of the first AR-15 I almost bought.

When I was 17 in high school (1992) 3 guys and I were talking in food class about hunting. one of the guys dad took him hunting alot. Well we got to talking about guns and I told everybody that over the summer I worked on a rifle range at a Boy Scout camp. I used to catch alot of heck for being a Boy Scout. Ever since that summer I wanted an AR-15. Well then one of the other guys was saying yeah his dad had a gun collection and he was trying to sell one. He explained the gun was a M-16 but converted to shoot only semi auto. At that age we did not know what an AR-15 was. He said his dad was looking to get $450 for it, and he showed us all a picture and we all drooled espeacilly when he said he shot it before. It was an old Colt, had the pencil thin barrel flash surpressor and the Old style triangle handguards. When I was 17 I had a decent job and I was pretty good at saving money. $450 seemed like alot of money but I had almost $700 for a car, and I know my dad would of bought it for me if I gave him the money. Let me tell you there was a week that passed were I really thought about it. I look back now and think Darn I should of bought it. The car I ended up buying quit running about 6 months later. Is what I wondering was $450 good for used AR-15 in 1992. I know it would of went up in value. well it ended up taking 7 more years before I finally got my first AR-15. The weird thing is we were talking about guns in school and did not even get in trouble.

Six

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:34:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, My Mom bought me a Colt Sporter HBAR when I turned 18, that was back in early 90's, can't remember what she paid for it though, prolly about 700 bucks, It had the Flash Suppressor, no bayo lug.  I loved that rifle, It would put dime size group at 50 yards using iron sights.  Traded it for a Beretta 92FS when I turned 21.  Wish I still have it :-(  
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The gun laws here really suck, and its the crims using smuggled in handguns (from Asian and Lebanese gangs), the Glock and Norinco .45s are most common. All this gets bad press, and the public are fed shit from a one sided media, and the government listening to the anti-gun wankers who say the problem can be solved by a total ban of handguns.

I feel its gonna get worse, not better, and one day in Australia only Crims, Police and the Defence Force will have them, honest citizens will have nothing but hollow memories. We are fighting for our rights, but its like pissing into the wind.

What started the last big push was back in 96 when a bloke named Martin Bryant shot 35 people in Port Arthur, Tasmania withan SKS and a AR-15. One f**kwhit has ruined it all for all of us, and the police road on the emotions of the general public, who were smothered in anti-gun press to pass these unreal and totally stupid laws.

Meanwhile guncrime in Australia is on the rise. Did the laws work? NO!!

But back to the ARs, I really honestly miss that rifle, and now I hear the gunlaws in Canada have gone insane too. Keep and fight for your rights Lads, and again don't let what happened here happen there.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The gun laws here really suck, and its the crims using smuggled in handguns (from Asian and Lebanese gangs), the Glock and Norinco .45s are most common. All this gets bad press, and the public are fed shit from a one sided media, and the government listening to the anti-gun wankers who say the problem can be solved by a total ban of handguns.

I feel its gonna get worse, not better, and one day in Australia only Crims, Police and the Defence Force will have them, honest citizens will have nothing but hollow memories. We are fighting for our rights, but its like pissing into the wind.

What started the last big push was back in 96 when a bloke named Martin Bryant shot 35 people in Port Arthur, Tasmania withan SKS and a AR-15. One f**kwhit has ruined it all for all of us, and the police road on the emotions of the general public, who were smothered in anti-gun press to pass these unreal and totally stupid laws.

Meanwhile guncrime in Australia is on the rise. Did the laws work? NO!!

But back to the ARs, I really honestly miss that rifle, and now I hear the gunlaws in Canada have gone insane too. Keep and fight for your rights Lads, and again don't let what happened here happen there.
View Quote

[left]Yea i seen this on the news about it all i knew there was a guy with an ar15 shooting up the place. oh don't feel to bad were still getting anti-gun crap here too, how we never got a total ban? i really don't know.[/left]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top