Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2001 7:24:29 PM EDT
[img]http://www.amasuperbike.com/image/harley/newharleysm.jpg[/img]

Harley-Davidson should be showing this machine to their dealers right about now. It's the much rumored Porsche-designed Harley engine with water-cooling, fuel injection, etc. all within 1100cc. It is said to make 115 horsepower at 9000 rpm and will spin to 10,000.  

It is not a Superbike or Superbike platform, obviously. But could this engine be the powerplant of a future Superbike? No one at Harley-Davidson will confirm nor deny that, thus far.  
Ends

[url]http://www.amasuperbike.com/010712c.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow that thing looks cool.  What do you think the price of admission is?

A couple die-hard Harley people I know say when Harley goes to water cooling they are gonna stop buying them.  Something about that "Japan leads, Harley follows" thing.

But if that bike goes into production and the price is alright, maybe I'd trade in the Honda on one!  Not gonna hold my breath though . . .
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
That just does not seem to be a 'Harley.' I suppose it is only a matter of time before a major change.  I wonder how it sounds?
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't like it, looks more like the BMW's.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah it does look funny but in a cool sort of way.  Sorta like a cross between a BMW and a V-Max.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks pretty weird.  I guess it may end up growing on me the same way the new dodge trucks did in the early 90's.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#6]
A Harley for the New Millennium
Harley-Davidson unveiled a portion of its future to the worldwide press two weeks ago with the introduction of its all-new VRSCA V-Rod, a sport cruiser that in one smooth stroke brings the world’s oldest motorcycle manufacturer to the brink of current technology for the first time in over 30 years.

The first model in an all-new platform known as VRSC (V-twin Racing Street Custom), the V-Rod represents a new direction for Harley-Davidson, one that will allow it to aggressively expand its technological and manufacturing horizons in order to attract a new type of Harley customer while continuing to meet an ever-increasing market demand for its traditional motorcycles.

Starting with its all-new Revolution engine, the V-Rod couldn’t be more radically different than its predecessors. Displacing 1130cc - not 1100cc - the Revolution is an all-aluminum, sequential electronic fuel-injected, liquid-cooled, 60-degree V-twin, sporting dual overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder. Sharing its structural architecture with the Harley-Davidson VR1000 Superbike, the engine also does away with the traditional fork-and-blade connecting rods on a common crank pin, such as is found in current Harley V-twin offerings. It also features a wet-sump oiling system, something not found on the current Twin Cam 88 and Evo Sportster engines. The crankshaft is counterbalanced and the engine is rubber-mounted in the all-new chassis. Harley-Davidson claims that the engine develops 115 horsepower at the crankshaft at 8250 rpm - not 9000 rpm, as you may have read by poorly informed sources elsewhere. The transmission is a close-ratio five-speed.

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The Revolution is the result of a development relationship between Harley-Davidson and Porsche Engineering Services, which dates back to the 1970s, according to Harley personnel. But rumors that Harley-Davidson personnel have neither confirmed or denied that it is the basis for some new VR Superbike are also inaccurate. When asked about the relationship between the Revlolution and a racing engine two weeks ago, Harley-Davidson Vice President of Engineering Earl Werner replied, “We have learned a lot through racing the VR1000 that we put to use when it came time to develop this engine. We would not use this engine as a racing engine. It is too large and heavy to be used purely for road racing or dirt track.”

Having already logged miles on the V-Rod, we can tell you that the Revolution more than fills the bill for the new VRSC street platform, however, and the novelty doesn’t stop at the engine either. In creating an all-new chassis for the bike, Harley-Davidson engineers looked to the automotive industry, borrowing sufficiently radical technology to produce the bodacious curves in the V-Rod’s perimeter mainframe. The process is known as hydro-forming, and it involves pre-bending the frame tubes and then inserting them into a forming die where they are filled with liquid at extreme pressure to create the final bending. The tubes also expand a couple millimeters, reaching their final diameter. The V-Rod’s radical-looking 38-degree rake is achieved by angling the steering head at 34 and running four-degree offset triple clamps. Combined with a 99-millimeter trail and a low center of gravity - thanks in part to the unconventional under-seat location of the V-Rod’s fuel cell – steering is light and lively for a cruiser. The V-Rod’s wheelbase is 67.5 inches.

Although the V-Rod’s styling represents another radical departure from the Milwaukee norm, it still somehow manages to scream Harley-Davidson. From the 2-1-2 exhaust system to the exotic bends of the silver-dipped frame, to the anodized aluminum body panels that trademark the V-Rod look, the bike is unique in its appearance, to say the least. Items such as the new reflector optic headlamp (look closely and you’d swear it was pirated from a Porsche 911, integrated instrumentation clamshell and one-piece cast aluminum swingarm enhance the Jetson-like aerodynamic traits of the V-Rod. The bike also features Harley firsts in the form of braided brake lines coupled to floating dual front rotors and a single rear, with four piston calipers on each. The look is further enhanced by solid aluminum wheels. As Harley-Davidson Vice President of Styling Willie G. Davidson puts it, “We even made the radiator a thing of beauty. There aren’t a hell of a lot of motorcycles that you can say that about.”

Suggested retail price of the Harley-Davidson VRSCA V-Rod is $16,995. Look for a more complete report on this unique machine in an upcoming issue of Cycle News.

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#8]
[img]http://www.cyclenews.com/StoryImages/805.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=2245[/url]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
So lets see, it is going to cost a lot of money and still be slower than a V-MAX from ten years ago.  Harley is real cutting edge, huh.

anyone have any nomex? [:D]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#10]
it is kwel looking.but it's just not what a H-D is to me.mmk
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I'll stick with my Super Glide.

If I wanted Jap crap I would have bought one.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#12]
i have two glides, a '47 knucklehead and a '77 superglide. i'ld like to try that thing! might be just the right combo to make me forget that gsxr 1100 i sold.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Personaly,I don't care for it, but H/D is at least trying to modernize. I sure the long time H/D folks won't buy it but maybe younger 1st time buyers will. I feel all H/D are over priced but would still love have one of the originals.

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#14]
[left]I thought it was against code of ethics to mix Jap crap with supposedly all American made machine? is this sac-religious or what.[/left]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#15]
my '77 superglide has japanese exhaust, tachometer(nippon denso), carb (kehein), front fork assembly (showa) and lord knows what else. the speedo is italian (veglia, i believe) and there are german bearings in the motor.

harley has been shopping overseas for decades.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Harley needs to do something. It must get old riding around in groups at 65 mph with your nose in the air, knowing any kid on a Jap 600 can destroy you in any performance contest.

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Hardley Ableson really had No choice but bring this bike out. Someday all air cooled engines will be legislated out of existence (if for nothing else than noise levels).
They really took a BIG chance on this thing, but I am sure they are banking on all the RUB's having to be the first on their block with one.

Take a GOOD look at the new Buell...Eric did a Bimota!! And I am guessing the new "Moist Head" will find its way there in a year or so.

Allen
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Kids on 600's don't have "Bitches" on the back, either.  
There's a reason for the nose in the air!
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Kids on 600's don't have "Bitches" on the back,

JOKE

What is the difference between a Harley bike and a Harley 'bitch'? You can ride the 'bitch' longer between breakdowns!

Please note that this is a JOKE! as are Hardley Ableson's..until today. Oh, and except for the best (and most gorgeuos) Harley never to make it to a showroom floor: the XR-750.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#20]
 I think it looks cool! I would buy the Honda VTX before that new Harley but it is a step in the right direction.
 Here's a joke for everyone:
Q: Why don't Harley riders wave as they're riding their bikes?
A: They're afraid of dropping their tools!
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Kids on 600's don't have "Bitches" on the back, either.  
There's a reason for the nose in the air!
View Quote

Man, at Daytona Bike Week, I seem to remember lots of sport bikes cruising the sand with thong-clad females on the back. Was I seeing things? [;)]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Q: What's the difference between a Harley and  a vacuum cleaner?

A: Placement of the dirtbag. [whacko]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 12:53:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Honda VMAX [i]might[/i] beat this thing in a straight line race but it would be close. The review at Motorcycle.com says the new Harley rides like a sport bike in the twisties. Lookswise I think it's great, could use some improvement (rims have gotta go) ultimately it will be sneered at much like the BMW cruisers. It's a RUB bike which is unfortunate, I've always wanted a  cruiser with performance :(.

Let's see what affect this has on Buell ?

Damn, gotta go ride now...
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Dungus, Yamaha made the V MAX
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 5:14:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I think it is sweeeet!  They cashed in on 1910 technology for a long, long time.  I seem to remember my friends saying that "if they put elec. starters on them then even girls can ride them", and "real Harleys have generators, not that new alternator".  Cyclenews.com has a pic of tne new Buell also.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 6:11:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey, let me jump in:

"What do Harleys and dogs have in common?

They both like to ride in the back of pickup trucks."

This old joke courtesy of the proud owner of a 2000 Honda VT1100 Shadow Sabre.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 6:55:58 AM EDT
[#27]
I work for a HD dealer and we have not heard or seen anything about this.  But the owners are at the dealer meeting and may be seeing this right now.  They get back on the 15th so I ll know more then.

p.s.

All of you who bash HD dont know much about finance.  HD hold their value better than any bike on the market, granted you will pay more for them but when you can sell one for what you paid for it 2 years later you are riding for free!!! think about it.  I was in the car business for 7 years prior to getting this job and watched every dumbass redneck mustang and camaro owner try to trade their cars a year later, sometimes even two years later, and have to face the fact that they cant trade out of their car without $5-8K money down because their car is not worth shit, and they owe a ton of money on it.  Think about it, just about anyone who owes money on a car owes too much money on it!!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I work for a HD dealer and we have not heard or seen anything about this.  But the owners are at the dealer meeting and may be seeing this right now.  They get back on the 15th so I ll know more then.

p.s.

All of you who bash HD dont know much about finance.  HD hold their value better than any bike on the market, granted you will pay more for them but when you can sell one for what you paid for it 2 years later you are riding for free!!! think about it.  I was in the car business for 7 years prior to getting this job and watched every dumbass redneck mustang and camaro owner try to trade their cars a year later, sometimes even two years later, and have to face the fact that they cant trade out of their car without $5-8K money down because their car is not worth shit, and they owe a ton of money on it.  Think about it, just about anyone who owes money on a car owes too much money on it!!!

[beer]
View Quote

HD has been riding this 'return on investment' bullshit line way to long. Anyone that would pay LIST for a bike is a fool, anyone that would do that on a two year old bike is a plain idiot.
I truly respect HD for what they have done as a business, but not as a MOTORCYCLE company. Read "Well Made In America" by Peter C. Reid and you will respect them for the $$ machine they are.
Walk into a showroom, get treated like an ass (oh, I have a flat top and goattee...maybe an arm full of ink would help) and try to ASK anyone about a bike. Wanna buy some chrome or a T-shirt??!!!
Put a streeted XR on the floor and I would buy one.....until then no thanks.
They need to get back to what matters, looks like they may actually be on the right track. It's about the ride, not the chrome.

Allen
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#29]
The new Buell XB9R
[url]http://www.buell.com/products/xb9rmain.asp[/url]
[img]http://a1276.g.akamai.net/7/1276/1354/f159da05b52752/www.buell.com/images/products/gallery/xb9r_large_2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://a1276.g.akamai.net/7/1276/1354/f159da05b52752/www.buell.com/images/products/gallery/xb9r_large_12.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got a relative who's the local Harley dealer's mechanic.
When he was in mech school and the instructor was talking about the newer Harley's, the older Hell Angel types were bitching about Harley "selling out".  The factory man explained that the average Harley buyer was a more well-to-do, older person.  They spend the big money with Harley, not the "dirtbag" classic biker.  The old style biker isn't Harley's main customer anymore.  Serve your clientel, or go broke, thats business.  Catering to a group that doesn't even have much money, while ignoring the big spenders that are keeping your company grass green, is how to flush yourself down the Chapter 11 tubes.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#31]
It's official as of 12 July.
There is a new Harley-Davidson. I wonder what the name of this engine will be.
[url]http://www.harley-davidson.com/motorcycles/motorcycles_family.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=440149&bmLocale=en_US&bmUID=995171952421[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top