Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2001 12:13:05 PM EDT
Except for getting a suppressor, how can i reduce the noise level from a 16in barrell ?  I have a Bushmaster shorty and im looking for something to reduce the muzzle blast noise.  Is there any muzzle brakes that will knock the noise level down to that of a 20in barrell ?  
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#1]
my friend, if it reduces noise- it's a suppressor.

there was something, years ago, about pistol(silouette?) shooters installing a tube like device to keep noise down... but i think atf eventually ruled 'em suppressors
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
oh, and if it's a post-ban you can't even put a suppressor on it- they are flashhiders too...
unless you make your rifle useless by replacing the pistol grip with the thumb-hook thingy.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a .22lr conversion.;)
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Only a husher will cut noise, dont think anyone makes a brake that claims to cut noise, brakes increase noise levels. my 20 is a comfortable, y 16 w/ mini y-comp booms like a bitch, annoying sometimes.
BALOO.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm real fuzzy on this, but I seem to recall that sometime in the vietnam era the govt played with some kind of muzzle attachment designed to do something else that the BATF considers a suppressor because it dropped the noise level by less than 1db (which is inconsequential on a 150db muzzle blast anyway)

Any device that attaches to a barrel that reduces noise, regardless of how much is usually ruled to be a suppressor. As other people mentioned, they also hold sound suppressors to be flash hiders too - so it's a nogo on a postban.

Your only options are longer barrel and reduced loads. (Including 22lr).

Sometimes I wonder if it might be even remotely possible to get supressors removed from NFA regulation, but watching my late night snacking usually keeps such thoughts to a minimum.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]
[img]http://www.gem-tech.com/Images/predatorS.jpg[/img]
[:D]

Except for a supressor, the quietest config will probably be a bare barrel.  Which actually isn't any quieter than one with a brake, it's just that the sound is mostly directed forward (and away from the shooter).  All brakes by their nature re-direct the muzzle blast (and hence the noise) in some direction other than straight forward, so it appears louder to the shooter.  

So if you can't do a suppressor([}:(]), look into a .22lr conversion, or handloading.

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#8]
lighter load ie not as hot
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Now that everyone else has covered modifications to the gun--you can:

1.  Shoot through the center of several tires lined up as the starting point of your range--maybe bolt them together to keep them standing on their edge (assuming you can do that when you shoot).

2.  Wear ear plugs in addition to ear muffs.

3.  Shoot a .22 conversion kit.

Other than that you are limited to Supressors on a pre-ban (can't put them on post-bans, as they are also considered flash supressors).  

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#11]
the replies basically confirm my suspecions,  im going to go deeeeef!  Next gun show, im swapping my Bushy shorty.  Next purchase:
-Colt HBAR
-20in HBAR complete upper assembly (for spare)

why the switch from Bushmaster to Colt ?  no paticular reason.  I shot a freinds 20in HBAR at the range a few weeks ago and fell in love. Even when i was in the military my ears never hurt so bad compared to the punishment from my 16in barrell.  Yes, ive been wearing ear plugs, but it almost feels like they are not even there.  I want a rifle that i can *almost* stand to shoot without plugs if i had to without permenent hearing loss.  Damn i think its even worse sometimes than being AG on the .50 Browning!

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top