Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2005 11:29:21 AM EDT
Once in a while people debate why the military would need a pistol with second strike capability... If it jams you just rack-tap-bang whatever.  

But I was thinking, in the unlikely event you were grappling with someone and either had your pistol in hand already or pulled it out and they sort of got ahold of it, they could cause it not to fire by putting their hand in the way of the hammer (or if they managed to push the slide back a little bit).  In this case a DA action would allow you to just keep pulling the trigger.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the idea of a double-action/single-action pistol, for more reasons than the one you posted above.

ETA: Post 666, This must be my anti-christ post.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#2]
True.....

I like the idea of having second strike capability, but I don't think it is necessary. In 99% of the times that a pistol fails to fire, a second strike isn't going to make it work. For this reason you should train to tap, rack, bang on all failures, making second strik kind of useless.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#4]
No hammer to block on a G20.  Guess I'll have to have a 2nd hand nearby to rack the slide if the round is a dud.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#5]
We could just switch to a revolver and then we wouldn't be having this conversation!
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#6]

I like my Ruger P97 for that reason and it doesn't have a manual safety to fumble with either.

Shok
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
you can stop a glock or most other pistols by directly pressing the barrell to the rear. kinda press checks the slide out of battery. if your grapleling they got to close.

Yup.  Hopefully you already shot them before they grabbed your gun.  If not, you'll have to somehow stop them from partially racking the slide.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I think sidearm selection is viewed at larger scale. General reliability and effectiveness would far outweigh the possibility of a ftf in the above scenerio.

How often does a grappling situation occur between two lone soldiers nowadays?

Your point may be a great reason to consider a double-action pistol, however I don't think it would be a major consideration of any military.

edited to add: As ol' Col. Cooper has said, "The only purpose of a sidearm is to fight your way to a rifle."
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I've heard alot of people talk about this lately on the board but I can't figure out why they're bringing it up.

If something like this was such a concern why even use a semi-auto?

Why not a revolver?

I mean if we're going to get into the niddy griddy if a type of pistol, let’s talk about other things like how a semi-auto won't go back into battery if pressed up against something or how a semi-auto's slide could get hung up on clothing if you fired while in a scuffle?
How about how alot of semi-auto pistol that are second strike are not just DA only so the first trigger pull is different, etc etc.

Why single is ONE thing out and use it a big make or break option when so many others exist when it comes to semi-auto.

5 shot SP101 as my carry pistol here.
Why?
Cause I'm a realist.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had T-R-B drilled into my head my entire shooting life - I don't even consider 2nd-strike-capability when choosing a pistol.

I'm not saying you don't have a valid point - just that it doesn't enter into my decision-making process.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No hammer to block on a G20.  Guess I'll have to have a 2nd hand nearby to rack the slide if the round is a dud.

Lets say the slide got pushed back slightly and you pulled the trigger, would the striker drop on a Glock? I'm sure it wouldn't fire out of battery but I'm not sure if the striker would drop.  In that case you would need to rack the slide with your other hand, and in my scenario it would probably be tied up grappling with someone.

Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've had T-R-B drilled into my head my entire shooting life - I don't even consider 2nd-strike-capability when choosing a pistol.

I'm not saying you don't have a valid point - just that it doesn't enter into my decision-making process.  YMMV.

Yeah I understand, I was just assuming your other hand wouldn't be available and the gun would be pressed into the other guy's belly... hopefully you could just keep pulling the trigger and hope it goes bang.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1. Most likely a failure is the result of a mag not being seated properly, or some other malfunction (stovepipe, etc.) that a second strike will do nothing to improve. Therefore, I train to T-R-B whenever I hear click. Second strik is useless to me.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I can see at least one situation where the STC might come in handy. If you recall, in Blackhawk Down it is described that the drivers on the Humvees were shooting their pistols WHILE DRIVING. If you have a hard primer that doesn't go off on the first strike, you just pull the trigger again. Dong the TRB drill just would not be practical/safe while driving. Remember we are talking about a pistol for the military here.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Tap

Rack

Re-Assess!

I see no need to have a second strike capability on a semi-auto.

FWIW - the striker on a Glock will not release when out of battery.  Just tested it on my G26.

If you have a hard primer that doesn't go off on the first strike, you just pull the trigger again. Dong the TRB drill just would not be practical/safe while driving. Remember we are talking about a pistol for the military here.

Another reason to practice clearing manfunctions one-handed.  What if it wasn't a hard primer, but a stovepipe or doublefeed?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Mmmmm... "Second strike" has never entered my mind past tap-rack-bang.

It sounds like you're referring to something like a shrouded-hammer revolver. I think that's the only system that is pretty much impossible to "jam"... every semi-auto can be jacked out of firing position if the perp gets close enough*.

*OK comic book fans out there: who remembers the 80s GI Joe comic book about Snake Eyes where the kid comes in to rob the old Asian man and the Asian guy puts his finger on the barrel, pushes back and disarms the kid with the 1911?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#17]
The real question is, Has anyone here actually had a failure to fire and pulling the trigger again actually worked? I shoot a fair amount handgun ammo, and have never had it happen to me. not saying it doesn't happen, I just have never seen it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I may sound like a complete idiot...

but what is "second strike"?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The real question is, Has anyone here actually had a failure to fire and pulling the trigger again actually worked? I shoot a fair amount handgun ammo, and have never had it happen to me. not saying it doesn't happen, I just have never seen it.

I've only had it happen to me once or twice out of every bullet i've fired.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

A gun having the function of being able to pull the trigger a second time without re-cocking a hammer or pulling the slide back.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

<idiot_mode>You didn't hit the ball on the second swing!</idiot_mode>

It means that the primer didn't go off after being hit by the firing pin, so you drop the hammer again, and hope it will fire this time. Possible only with external hammer pistols. With a DA pistol, the theory goes, you just pull the trigger again. In real life most people just rack the slide .
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Do it weak handed.  Better yet, do everything weak handed.  Draw, fire, reload...
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<idiot_mode>You didn't hit the ball on the second swing!</idiot_mode>

It means that the primer didn't go off after being hit by the firing pin, so you drop the hammer again, and hope it will fire this time. Possible only with external hammer pistols. With a DA pistol, the theory goes, you just pull the trigger again. In real life most people just rack the slide .

Oh, that isn't near as cool as the name implies.

Thanks for answering all, you may go back the the regularly scheduled thread.

/would just rack the slide.

Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

one pull of the trigger will cock the hammer, and release the hammer.

it will also just release the hammer if it is already cocked.  (the no brainer part)

* for the nitpicks - > 'hammer' = what ever device the gun has to striek the bullet's primer.

edit.. it might also mean pistol whipping the bad guy if the gun doesn't fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top