Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2001 5:57:08 PM EDT
www.mechtechsys.com

If you used this carbine conversion kit on a 1911 pistol manufactured in the 1930s, could you thread the barrel and put a suppressor on it?

I say you can, since the receiver of the firearm is the lower part of the 1911 pistol (which is pre-ban) and the upper unit and barrel are simply accessories.  You don't have to go through an FFL to get them, so shouldn't that legally allow you to thread and suppress (after paying your $200 NFA tax for the suppressor) this carbine?

Thoughts/comments?
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not an expert, but here's my stab at this.

First, you're not only dealing with the NFA, you're dealing with the '94 AW ban.

Lesse.  You make a pistol into a rifle.  Okay; you're good so far.

You want to thread the barrel.  No good; a rifle can only have one evil feature.  You've got yours already with the "protruding pistol grip."  And, since the ATF considers a silencer to also be a flash suppressor, you're technically threading it for a flash suppressor.  No good.  (This is why no postban barrels are threaded on rifles.)

Using "lugs" won't work, either.  You're still sticking on what the ATF considers to be a flash suppressor.

Also, the date isn't the end-all and be-all of the AW ban.  The clincher is that the firearm had to be an assault weapon [i]before[/i] the ban!  In other words, if you had an AR-15 lower that was manufactured in the 1970's but was never made into a complete weapon, it's as good as a post-ban.

Nice idea, though...

[b]However[/b], if you were to forget the rifle idea, it may work.  I don't know a standard 1911's weight.  But, if you stick on a threaded barrel, there's your one allowable evil feature.  Flash suppressors aren't "evil features" on pistols, so you should be just fine!  The only thing that could screw you is the 50 oz weight limit.  Just keep the UNLOADED pistol under or at 50 oz, and you're fine.  

NFA and legal people...  Are my statements sound?

Mike

EDITED to add the last paragraph.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Mike, I think you've hit it squarely on the head.

Right now, that pistol, although manufactured in the 1930's is still just a pistol.  When you add the stock it becomes a rifle - and not before.  Therefore, when you add the stock and make it a SBR, youare technically creating a new rifle (the rifle didn't exist prior to that point).  As its now after 1994, that rifle has to comply with the '94 AWB, even though its an NFA weapon.  You'd have a detachable mag, and a pistol grip - you can't have any other assault features, and a supressor would certainly be one.  No dice.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Mike, I think you've hit it squarely on the head.

Right now, that pistol, although manufactured in the 1930's is still just a pistol.  When you add the stock it becomes a rifle - and not before.  Therefore, when you add the stock and make it a SBR, youare technically creating a new rifle (the rifle didn't exist prior to that point).  As its now after 1994, that rifle has to comply with the '94 AWB, even though its an NFA weapon.  You'd have a detachable mag, and a pistol grip - you can't have any other assault features, and a supressor would certainly be one.  No dice.
View Quote

i dont think hes talking about just a shoulder stocked 45 i thikn he means one of those carbine kits with the 16 inch barrel. as far as adding a supproser on a carbine kit if u had teh kit pre 94 with a threaded barrel nope cant do it. sorry it would be a post ban AW but u can add a threaded barrel to a regualr 1911
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:31:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm not an expert, but here's my stab at this.

First, you're not only dealing with the NFA, you're dealing with the '94 AW ban.

Lesse.  You make a pistol into a rifle.  Okay; you're good so far.

You want to thread the barrel.  No good; a rifle can only have one evil feature.  You've got yours already with the "protruding pistol grip."  And, since the ATF considers a silencer to also be a flash suppressor, you're technically threading it for a flash suppressor.  No good.  (This is why no postban barrels are threaded on rifles.)

Using "lugs" won't work, either.  You're still sticking on what the ATF considers to be a flash suppressor.

Also, the date isn't the end-all and be-all of the AW ban.  The clincher is that the firearm had to be an assault weapon [i]before[/i] the ban!  In other words, if you had an AR-15 lower that was manufactured in the 1970's but was never made into a complete weapon, it's as good as a post-ban.

Nice idea, though...

[b]However[/b], if you were to forget the rifle idea, it may work.  I don't know a standard 1911's weight.  But, if you stick on a threaded barrel, there's your one allowable evil feature.  Flash suppressors aren't "evil features" on pistols, so you should be just fine!  The only thing that could screw you is the 50 oz weight limit.  Just keep the UNLOADED pistol under or at 50 oz, and you're fine.  

NFA and legal people...  Are my statements sound?

Mike

EDITED to add the last paragraph.
View Quote

One question: The 50 oz. limit, how does this effect the race guns, which when loaded weigh more?
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One question: The 50 oz. limit, how does this effect the race guns, which when loaded weigh more?
View Quote

The law looks at the weight of the gun [b]unloaded[/b].  No worries!

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top